Saving in Word (problem with file names)
Téma indítója: Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:16
olasz - angol
Mar 1, 2012

Just got my compuer back from the shop (had to reinstall my applicaitons) and i tried to save a file Word (I have 2007). I generally save with the original name of the file, adding the date before it so I can find it quickly. Saving has never been a problem but now I get a message
"Impossible to save. The short file name "xxxxxxxx(my file name) is not valid (maximum eight characters plus three for the file extension. Enter a valid name and try again.

I'm sure that there must
... See more
Just got my compuer back from the shop (had to reinstall my applicaitons) and i tried to save a file Word (I have 2007). I generally save with the original name of the file, adding the date before it so I can find it quickly. Saving has never been a problem but now I get a message
"Impossible to save. The short file name "xxxxxxxx(my file name) is not valid (maximum eight characters plus three for the file extension. Enter a valid name and try again.

I'm sure that there must be a setting to allow long names (I have always used them in the past).
So how (and where do I find them) do I change the settings?
Thanks in advance
Collapse

Tanguy Przybylski
Tanguy Przybylski  Identity Verified
Japán
Local time: 08:16
Tag (2008 óta)
japán - francia
+ ...
Save in another place? Mar 1, 2012

HI Eileen,

I'm not sure why word would only access eight characters, which is quite strange, but I could suggest you to save your file in a different place (on your desktop for example) and see if the restriction is lifted. Usually under Windows, you can't save a file if the path to this file is too long (which could explain why you have only 8 left as a full path is something like 250 characters.
But maybe there is another explanation...

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:16
olasz - angol
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
I think I solved it Mar 1, 2012

It wasn't a question of giving a place because when, to move ahead with the work I decided to give it a very short name (6 letters) I got the same message. So I added an extension and it saved even with the long name. I'm not exactly sure why because, before indicating the type of file was enough and I never qadded the extensions.

But anyway it worked.
Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving in Word (problem with file names)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »