Untreatable write lockout in Word file from PDF
Inițiatorul discuției: Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 07:25
din engleză în germană
+ ...
Jan 24, 2012

I had to convert 4 PDFs of scanned Rental Contracts via Omnipage 15 into Word files and would like to translate them with Trados Workbench.

The quality of the conversions could be ranked as about 8 of 10 - some, not too much layout hitches, misreading of letters with accents etc.

On the first file I could translate the large font and bold set title with TWB - but no other segment opened with the tool any more and the whole file froze - with the result that I had to clos
... See more
I had to convert 4 PDFs of scanned Rental Contracts via Omnipage 15 into Word files and would like to translate them with Trados Workbench.

The quality of the conversions could be ranked as about 8 of 10 - some, not too much layout hitches, misreading of letters with accents etc.

On the first file I could translate the large font and bold set title with TWB - but no other segment opened with the tool any more and the whole file froze - with the result that I had to close it with Task Manager. After reopening and some experimenting, including a fruitless click on "repair document", I found out that if I left the title untranslated and opened the first segment after the title I could translate the whole 7k file with WB. Only when, somewhat in the middle of the translation, I tried to translate the title with WB, the file froze again. But I had a backup file and thus left the title untranslated until having finished and cleaned - which I do always over tw4winClean.Main from Word tools - and translated the title only in the monolingual file, outside of WB.

With this I had done the first of the four files. But on the next this situation reappeared. Just this time not right after the title but on page 3. And this time I do not find a workaround for this. - I have shortly tried to process the file in TagEditor. It was quite difficult to do just one sentence after the point where the file had blocked. And unfortunately I am so inexperienced with TagEditor that I could not produce a cleaned file with this one new sentence in. I do not have the time to learn TagEditor while in this job. And it is also clear that with the bungled layout of these file conversions I would be permantly hassled by TE for missing tags - only to have an even worse layout situation after clean-up, while in working with TB in Word one can make layout repairs during the process in the very file - before and after translating. Something that all the Excel type applications, Studio, MemoQ etc., also do not allow.

I have checked file properties to see whether there could be a fuzzy user protection on - but the boxes are not marked.

But whenever I open that file now, I cannot write on it and can close it only via Task Manager. And on reopening Word I now see that the file has been "protected" by me!

Does anyone have an idea how to get the Word file/s accessible for WB or even at all again?

Roland Nienerza
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
Franţa
Utilizator
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Strip all formatting Jan 24, 2012

I don't know if this is feasible in your case, but I've had such trouble with the 'clever' formatting used by such conversion utilities in order to attempt to reproduce the original formatting, I usually start by stripping out all of the formatting (or preferably, of course, OCR-ing straight away into 'unformatted text').

Generally, if using a CAT tool is going to be advantageous to me, then it is worth spending the time reformatting it all (properly!) manually at the end.

Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

din engleză în germană
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Taking formatting off is not a solution Jan 24, 2012

Thanks for your advice, Tony.

If I would have to translate without formatting and do the formattingn after cleaning it would be very complicated.

In the meantime I had to return the file to the outsourcer - who could handle it better than me, apparently because the erratic file lock applies exactly to my machine and not to others.

I can now write in the file outside of Workbench. But I still cannot close the file in another way than forced by Task Manager.
... See more
Thanks for your advice, Tony.

If I would have to translate without formatting and do the formattingn after cleaning it would be very complicated.

In the meantime I had to return the file to the outsourcer - who could handle it better than me, apparently because the erratic file lock applies exactly to my machine and not to others.

I can now write in the file outside of Workbench. But I still cannot close the file in another way than forced by Task Manager. I had therefore to return the job unfinished.

Roland Nienerza
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Untreatable write lockout in Word file from PDF

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »