Juan Pablo Sans  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
So you say... May 23, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:
Oh and by the way, I was a Nimdzi top language influencer back in 2021.

In case you don't know, that's a list with the social media influencers in the translation industry.

My link here:

https://www.nimdzi.com/the-nimdzi-localization-influencers-watchlist/

Additionally, I've worked with brands such as Dropbox, PayPal, FIFA, Google Assistant, and many other brands.
Cheers

Thinking all of this really matters might be part of your problem. It's nice to have translated FIFA (my favourite game ), but I think it's safe to say that the majority of business translators work for popular or famous or whatever brands or companies (be it in a direct or indirect way). It means you're a professional translator, not that you're a top-notch, one-of-a-kind superb one.

[Edited at 2023-05-23 09:29 GMT]

A lot of translators gripe about not having enough gigs lined up.

You see them all over online discussions.

My beef, though?

I was fried by the time I hit 31, fed up with an industry that thinks it's par for the course to pull 80-hour weeks just to make ends meet, and then gives you a hard time if you don't toe the line.

Here's me, a translator who worked with big-name brands before the big 3-0.

I only mentioned it because, as usual, colleagues throw mud when someone shines a light on the industry problems that everyone else gripes about.

But hey, if you dig the translator life, warts and all, then more power to you. Keep on translating.

I just aired my side of things, and somehow that got folks wondering if I was a legit translator with a capital T.

[Editado a las 2023-05-23 10:28 GMT]

[Editado a las 2023-05-23 10:30 GMT]

Gerard Barry

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 21:10
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. May 23, 2023

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:
As for my attitude, sorry, but I don't like being a commodity that works all day and all night just to make a living.
Cheers

Even if you would be working 40 hours a week (which would increase your income significantly compared to those 25 hours), that still wouldn't be anything near 'working all day and all night just to make a living'. It would just be working like most fully employed people do.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 20:10
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Don't twist my words May 23, 2023

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:

I just told MY POV, and somehow I was questioned whether or not I was a translator with a T.

You're mistaken. Please don't twist my words or draw wrong conclusions.
I don't care if you are a translator with a T or not, a top language influencer, worked before for X, Y or Z.
You've made your point, so be happy and go earn your living as you please.

Lieven Malaise
Baran Keki

Juan Pablo Sans
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
100 hours worked in 2 weeks May 23, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:
As for my attitude, sorry, but I don't like being a commodity that works all day and all night just to make a living.
Cheers

Even if you would be working 40 hours a week (which would increase your income significantly compared to those 25 hours), that still wouldn't be anything near 'working all day and all night just to make a living'. It would just be working like most fully employed people do.

Most studies show that people in an office work for 2.5 hours/day, i.e. 50 hours per month of actual work.

https://www.inc.com/melanie-curtin/in-an-8-hour-day-the-average-worker-is-productive-for-this-many-hours.html

Secondly, I assume you've been in the industry long enough to know that you don't work 40 hours smoothly spread across a week like any other profession.

Supposing you work 110 hours a month (a normal in my days as a translator) it's more like this...

5 hours in week 1.

5 hours in week 2.

Getting disappeared because you won't make ends meet.

50 hours in week 3 juggling with 7 projects.

50 hours in week 4 juggling with 7 more projects.

Only for 3K-4K a month.

And as I said before, the difference between an office job and freelance translators is that you need to hit a quota per hour to actually be able to make ends meet.

That quota is 300-400 words/hour.

So that puts you in the ongoing stress of hitting a quota 110 hours/month just to make ends meet.

Non stop.

That's exhausting and drains you both mentally and physically.

Add to that there's no way to charge a retainer (like any other freelancer).

That adds up more stress, financial restraints, and health issues.

No other freelance work puts you into that grind.

Anyways, if you really enjoy it, by all means, enjoy it.

I just find it disgusting that former colleagues think they need to attack ad hominem just because I don't share their point of view and air the complaints everyone else gripes about.

[Editado a las 2023-05-23 10:54 GMT]

[Editado a las 2023-05-23 10:54 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
ChatGPT May 23, 2023

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:

My beef, though?

I was fried by the time I hit 31, fed up with an industry that thinks it's par for the course to pull 80-hour weeks just to make ends meet, and then gives you a hard time if you don't toe the line.

I only mentioned it because, as usual, colleagues throw mud when someone shines a light on the industry problems that everyone else gripes about.

But hey, if you dig the translator life, warts and all, then more power to you. Keep on translating.

I just aired my side of things, and somehow that got folks wondering if I was a legit translator with a capital T.

I see you have modified your post by now, but did you really instruct ChatGPT to adapt your postings into a fluent style with modern-like and trendy language? Perhaps copy-pasting from ChatGPT into Proz and after that deleting the excess text might not be the way to go. You could hit the 'Post reply' button by accident.

Working 25 hours, using ChatGPT to produce a kind of English you probably don't master by yourself ... It doesn't really help to make me think otherwise about your attitude.

[Edited at 2023-05-23 11:23 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. May 23, 2023

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:
Plus, there's this little nugget - even if you're pulling in 30 bucks an hour, you've got to work your tail off to scrape together a mere 3 grand (and that's before Uncle Sam gets his cut).

You might argue: "Hey, most folks don't even make 3K," and here's my comeback...

My hourly rate, calculated to reflect the amount I can earn translating at a decent per-word rate, is more than $30, more like $40.

You can very well move up in the translation world. I moved from working primarily for agencies who'll only pay a low rate, where I barely earned any more than when I was an employee, to working for agencies that pay much better rates and give me work that I really enjoy, in the arts. Then I moved to working more for direct clients who pay even better rates, and now I've reached the point where I'm earning more with direct clients than with agencies. My latest move was to give a hefty quote, more than double my original rate, to a potential new client, who accepted it. I ditched one of of the worst paying agencies last year, and I've been refusing more and more jobs from others to the point that I'm barely working with any of them any more. In the six years I've been freelancing, with decent volumes right from the beginning, my earnings have more than doubled and I'm now looking to work less in order to preserve my status, with simplified taxation but an earning ceiling.

Lieven Malaise
expressisverbis
Gerard Barry
Peter Dahm Robertson

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Expectations May 23, 2023

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:
I just find it disgusting that former colleagues think they need to attack ad hominem just because I don't share their point of view and air the complaints everyone else gripes about.

Through your postings you were basically saying that you need to be a fool without a brain to keep on doing what we are all doing. What did you expect ? Flowers ?

Christopher Schröder

Juan Pablo Sans
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
What's wrong with using ChatGPT to improve my written English? May 23, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:

My beef, though?

I see you have modified your post by now, but did you really instruct ChatGPT to adapt your postings into a fluent style with modern-like and trendy language? Perhaps copy-pasting from ChatGPT into Proz and after that deleting the excess text might not be the way to go. You could hit the 'Post reply' button by accident.

Working 25 hours, using ChatGPT to produce a kind of English you probably don't master by yourself ... It doesn't really help to make me think otherwise about your attitude.

[Edited at 2023-05-23 11:23 GMT]

What's wrong with me using ChatGPT to improve my English writing?

I'm a seasoned sales copywriter both in English and Spanish, with a solid translation background.

My English? C2 last time I tested in Cambridge.

So, why would I ask an AI bot for help?

Here's the thing - I've seen fellow translators nitpick on small English errors when they're run out of counterarguments.

Even if it's because English is my second language.

So, I decided to bring in AI, just to avoid giving them any reason to attack.

In the end, arguments should be based on ideas, not on nitpicking typos, syntax or grammar imperfections in a language you're not a native of.

So, really, what's the downside of using Chatty to put a little extra shine on my work?

(Post revised by ChatGPT too)

Anyways, off I go. Glad to argue with you guys

[Editado a las 2023-05-23 12:40 GMT]

Gerard Barry

Juan Pablo Sans
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
When did I say it? May 23, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:

Through your postings you were basically saying that you need to be a fool without a brain to keep on doing what we are all doing. What did you expect ? Flowers ?

Please quote exactly where I said that.

My main argument started with "it's not dead, it's just unattractive, that's why I pivoted to marketing".

I never said "you're a fool if you go on like it".

My main argument is and has always been: "I didn't want to be working 100s of hours just to break even".

Anyways, you know it's time to leave the conversation when you get attacks ad hominem and fallacies.

Cheers and have a wonderful day

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Chatty May 23, 2023

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:

Perhaps you can ask ChatGPT what 'you were basically saying' means.

Juan Pablo Sans
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mine was 35 USD/hour May 23, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:
Plus, there's this little nugget - even if you're pulling in 30 bucks an hour, you've got to work your tail off to scrape together a mere 3 grand (and that's before Uncle Sam gets his cut).

You might argue: "Hey, most folks don't even make 3K," and here's my comeback...

My hourly rate, calculated to reflect the amount I can earn translating at a decent per-word rate, is more than $30, more like $40.

You can very well move up in the translation world. I moved from working primarily for agencies who'll only pay a low rate, where I barely earned any more than when I was an employee, to working for agencies that pay much better rates and give me work that I really enjoy, in the arts. Then I moved to working more for direct clients who pay even better rates, and now I've reached the point where I'm earning more with direct clients than with agencies. My latest move was to give a hefty quote, more than double my original rate, to a potential new client, who accepted it. I ditched one of of the worst paying agencies last year, and I've been refusing more and more jobs from others to the point that I'm barely working with any of them any more. In the six years I've been freelancing, with decent volumes right from the beginning, my earnings have more than doubled and I'm now looking to work less in order to preserve my status, with simplified taxation but an earning ceiling.

Mine was 35 USD.

From time to time I snatched 40 USD/hour, but with my language combination (Latin American Spanish), those rates were not as easy to get.

Let alone if you do a per-word rate instead of a per hour rate.

I also landed clients paying me 50 USD/hour, but they were not regulars.

Anyways, if you like translation and want to stay there, it's OK. Glad you love it!

I didn't love it and looked for greener pastures, even when I was a really good translator and an influencer in the translation industry back in 2021.

In the end, we need to do what makes us happy, right?

Cheers and have a wonderful day

Juan Pablo Sans
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hadn't seen this post :) May 23, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

… like a rat leaving a sinking ship???

I share some of your concerns, Juan Pablo, but your experience is not everyone’s experience. I for one make way more than you are talking about working 25 hours a week.

It’s interesting though because I thought you were incredibly successful before? And how do you know your new venture will be any more successful and any more immune to AI? Maybe come back when you know the answer.

If you’re right, of course, there will probably be a lot of people making the same move, meaning much competition. I also worry that whatever it is that keeps people out of the high end of the translation market will also apply to any other kind of writing they try.

But good luck and keep us posted!

You do Swedish into English. That per se is a competitive edge over someone like me who does into Latin American Spanish.

Secondly, yes, I was incredibly successful --- most of my colleagues, even in Spain, were making less than 24K euros per year while I was making 45K.

However, that meant a lot of work and even health problems.

As for your question regarding AI: it's not immune, but I know how to create business solutions with AI + sales copywriting + email marketing + digital marketing + (even) localization + data analysis + sales + offer creation + prospecting.

No one can say I will be safe, but who knows the future, right?

I mean, in the end, you need to do whatever you feel right about.

For example, in marketing I can get 2K dollars for 40 hours of work when I find clients.

For me, that means I can take my mom to Spain or even enjoy more time with my children without telling them "hey, sorry chap, I need to stay home for a translation".

Anyways, I'll keep you posted and thanks for your wishes.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Standards May 23, 2023

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:

What, like my main client who just sent me a translation saying "We don’t have a deadline for this, but as soon as you have the capacity would be great 😊"

Looks like you've been working with the wrong people.

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:
I'm a seasoned sales copywriter both in English and Spanish, with a solid translation background.
My English? C2 last time I tested in Cambridge.

I suspect someone who works as a copywriter in a language they don't master may also translate things they really shouldn't, which would be another piece in the puzzle/nail in the coffin.

Lieven Malaise
Chris Spurgin

Juan Pablo Sans
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
So now you're smart pants :) May 23, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:

Perhaps you can ask ChatGPT what 'you were basically saying' means.

And here's why I left the industry: when things got thorny and you run out of arguments, your attacks go against the person, their grammar, and now against the use of AI? Lol

Anyway, thanks for the conversation

Cheers

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Housekeeping May 23, 2023

Juan Pablo Sans wrote:
I know how to create business solutions with AI + sales copywriting + email marketing + digital marketing + (even) localization + data analysis + sales + offer creation + prospecting.

To a high level? How did you pick all that up so quickly?!

As ever, I'm torn between admiring your self-belief and a nagging suspicion about your attitude to quantity vs quality.

For example, in marketing I can get 2K dollars for 40 hours of work when I find clients.

That doesn't sound much to me (I'd make nearly twice as much, and that's not all the Scandi premium). Are you not again operating too far down the pecking order?

For me, that means I can take my mom to Spain or even enjoy more time with my children without telling them "hey, sorry chap, I need to stay home for a translation".

Now that is what it's all about. I hope it works out for you.

PS My posts always appear late.
PPS Make sure ChatGPT doesn't make you sound too cocky.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation is dead as a profession

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »