Egmont Schröder
Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:36
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
I am mourning with France and the victims Nov 17, 2015

But there is something we shouldn't forget.

Here is a blog entry that I found today:

When a friend told me past midnight to check the news about Paris, I had no idea that I would be looking at a map of a city I love, delineating locations undergoing terrorist attacks simultaneously. I zoomed in on that map closer; one of the locations was right to where... See more
But there is something we shouldn't forget.

Here is a blog entry that I found today:

When a friend told me past midnight to check the news about Paris, I had no idea that I would be looking at a map of a city I love, delineating locations undergoing terrorist attacks simultaneously. I zoomed in on that map closer; one of the locations was right to where I had stayed when I was there in 2013, down that same boulevard.

The more I read, the higher the number of fatalities went. It was horrible; it was dehumanizing; it was utterly and irrevocably hopeless: 2015 was ending the way it started – with terrorists attacks occuring in Lebanon and France almost at the same time, in the same context of demented creatures spreading hate and fear and death wherever they went.

I woke up this morning to two broken cities. My friends in Paris who only yesterday were asking what was happening in Beirut were now on the opposite side of the line. Both our capitals were broken and scarred, old news to us perhaps but foreign territory to them.

Today, 128 innocent civilians in Paris are no longer with us. Yesterday, 45 innocent civilians in Beirut were no longer with us. The death tolls keep rising, but we never seem to learn.

Amid the chaos and tragedy of it all, one nagging thought wouldn’t leave my head. It’s the same thought that echoes inside my skull at every single one of these events, which are becoming sadly very recurrent: we don’t really matter.

When my people were blown to pieces on the streets of Beirut on November 12th, the headlines read: explosion in Hezbollah stronghold, as if delineating the political background of a heavily urban area somehow placed the terrorism in context.

When my people died on the streets of Beirut on November 12th, world leaders did not rise in condemnation. There were no statements expressing sympathy with the Lebanese people. There was no global outrage that innocent people whose only fault was being somewhere at the wrong place and time should never have to go that way or that their families should never be broken that way or that someone’s sect or political background should never be a hyphen before feeling horrified at how their corpses burned on cement. Obama did not issue a statement about how their death was a crime against humanity; after all what is humanity but a subjective term delineating the worth of the human being meant by it?

What happened instead was an American senator wannabe proclaiming how happy he was that my people died, that my country’s capital was being shattered, that innocents were losing their lives and that the casualties included people of all kinds of kinds.

When my people died, no country bothered to lit up its landmarks in the colors of their flag. Even Facebook didn’t bother with making sure my people were marked safe, trivial as it may be. So here’s your Facebook safety check: we’ve, as of now, survived all of Beirut’s terrorist attacks.

http://stateofmind13.com/2015/11/14/from-beirut-this-is-paris-in-a-world-that-doesnt-care-about-arab-lives/
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:36
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Encouragement Nov 17, 2015

It may encourage you to know that here in the West not everyone takes a blinkered parochial view.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-says-the-media-should-have-covered-attacks-in-beirut-and-ankara-as-well-as-paris-a6736381.html

Having
... See more
It may encourage you to know that here in the West not everyone takes a blinkered parochial view.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-says-the-media-should-have-covered-attacks-in-beirut-and-ankara-as-well-as-paris-a6736381.html

Having just finished translating a magazine article about Beirut, and having many friends from that wonderful city, I do regret that the repeated attacks on innocent people in that "Paris on the shores of the Mediterranean" are given less importance than those in Paris itself although, perhaps, it may be inevitable that Western media will tend to focus on Western issues, just as the Lebanese media will concentrate on Lebanese and Middle Eastern issues.

[Edited at 2015-11-17 14:53 GMT]
Collapse

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 11:36
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
France is home to many people who loved her thought and culture Nov 18, 2015

Egmont, we understand your point.

Many people loved something from French Culture and feel France closer.

For Lebanon, it is war strikes back or continued. For Paris, it is a new phase of warfare and maybe flatly speaking latter is more of a surprise for many. From practical point of view, many people visit Paris for business or tourism purpose and this affects more number of people.

No one is comfortable with difference between lives today, but people a
... See more
Egmont, we understand your point.

Many people loved something from French Culture and feel France closer.

For Lebanon, it is war strikes back or continued. For Paris, it is a new phase of warfare and maybe flatly speaking latter is more of a surprise for many. From practical point of view, many people visit Paris for business or tourism purpose and this affects more number of people.

No one is comfortable with difference between lives today, but people are more non-comfortable with a city with honored idea -equality- now suffers from extremists.

Yes, France, or Europe has its own contradiction that went down to Middle East, but it is important everyone supports idea of equality and France embraced it for a long time, longer than anywhere. The Anthem is surprising for us for its blood shed in lyrics but they have the history.

Many people loved something from France and know it well, suffer more and no one can blame it now.
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 03:36
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
An attack on all of humanity Nov 18, 2015

This was an attack not just on Paris, an attack not just on the people of France, but an attack on all of humanity.
Maybe this is the reason that drives many people to express their feelings or emotions wider.
When I was watching this on the news, all the terror events came to my mind, including Lebanon.
My message of solidarity written in French here goes to every human being in every part of the world where any kind of terror destroys lives of innocent people.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vive la France!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »