A question on finances
Thread poster: FREDERICA
FREDERICA
FREDERICA  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:40
English to Greek
+ ...
Jul 12, 2004

As a freelance translator living in Greece do I need to issue receipts or invoices when doing a translation for an individual or a company from another country?

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:40
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
I think you need to issue invoices Jul 13, 2004

FREDERICA wrote:

As a freelance translator living in Greece do I need to issue receipts or invoices when doing a translation for an individual or a company from another country?

The company may or may not require an invoice. Some do just to keep better track of things, but well-organized companies usually have their own means to keep track and don't need the translators' invoices. Now, when it comes to our beloved "eforia", that's another story. I think you do have to supply copies of invoices with your tax return form, but maybe someone more knowledgeable who lives in Greece can answer this question.

Anthi Kotsiliou
Anthi Kotsiliou  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:40
English to Greek
+ ...
Yes, I am afraid you have to Jul 13, 2004

FREDERICA wrote:

Usually, a company needs your invoices in order to include them in the company\'s expenses and thus lowe their tax. Un occasional client who may need your services just once may not ask for that but if you work for someone on a more regular basis, the invoice is a must. According to greek law you have to pay VAT as well (18%, you charge the client for this amount)and, even if you have another job and you are covered by, e.g. IKA, you may have to pay TEBE as well (this obligation holds only for people who were insured to IKA before a certain date, I think \'93 but I am not sure)

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

A question on finances

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »