Kafka question
Thread poster: motuihe
motuihe
motuihe
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Mar 7, 2019

Sorry not in German. Anyone know the expresssion "these travelling salesmen are like bugs"? Danke so much in advance

Sou
... See more
Sorry not in German. Anyone know the expresssion "these travelling salesmen are like bugs"? Danke so much in advance

Source: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=f1y_dX04yBgC&pg=PA255&lpg=PA255&dq=these%20travelling%20salesman%20are%20like%20bugs&source=bl&ots=-ruiOHFo83&sig=ACfU3U1K8p1kImZDIMLPp_NunvKulI4f4w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiK9OmBtfDgAhV06uAKHZO5BfAQ6AEwDnoECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=these%20travelling%20salesman%20are%20like%20bugs&f=false

[Edited at 2019-03-07 16:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-03-07 17:06 GMT]
Collapse

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:41
Member (2016)
English to German
No Mar 7, 2019

I never heard of it as a set, established expression or phrase.

motuihe
motuihe
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 7, 2019

The source says he picked it up from Germany. Could it be possibly from another language czech? Or maybe just local to a certain area where they use this expression?

[Edited at 2019-03-07 17:26 GMT]

Dr. Lausberg de Morales
Dr. Lausberg de Morales  Identity Verified
Guatemala
Local time: 20:41
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Schmeißfliegen Mar 7, 2019

In German we often use the Expression "Schmeißfliegen" for this concept. It Expresses that they come uninvitedly and stick to you and that you cannot easily get rid of them. Basically it is the concept of unwanted soliciting. Hope it helps.

Dr. Lausberg de Morales
Dr. Lausberg de Morales  Identity Verified
Guatemala
Local time: 20:41
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Käfer Mar 7, 2019

And in the context of Kafka I think there is something with "Käfer" but I do not remember well what it is... Keep searching.

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
Die Verwandlung Mar 7, 2019

I guess it refers to Kafka‘s Verwandlung. Salesmen are called Handlungsreisende and there is a lot of talk about Ungeziefer.

Handlungsreisende sind wie Ungeziefer???

Perhaps google will know more.

[Edited at 2019-03-07 21:53 GMT]

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
See KudoZ questions Mar 8, 2019

Not Kafka said this but Adorno:
See more
Not Kafka said this but Adorno:
https://books.google.ch/books?id=kZ_nqNRVXIIC&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=adorno%20wanzen&source=bl&ots=UFn8H0BrsS&sig=ACfU3U3yb-7mtIHzQ_WYF1K0L2HPNjoLyw&hl=de&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjVy9KY9_HgAhVDr6QKHXZjDqQQ6AEwB3oECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=adorno%20wanzen&f=false
«Diese Reisenden sind wie Wanzen.»
Collapse

VivianDarkbloom
VivianDarkbloom
United Kingdom
Thanks motuihe! Mar 8, 2019

I'm the original enquirer To clarify, as ibz pointed out, Adorno claims Kafka was literalising "a German expression" ("Those travelling salesmen are like bugs") in Verwandlung, suggesting it was a common figure of speech; I was just wondering if anyone is aware of such an expression really having existed. It doesn't sound like the kind of phrase that would enter into the realm of idiom, but who knows.

Even if it was e
... See more
I'm the original enquirer To clarify, as ibz pointed out, Adorno claims Kafka was literalising "a German expression" ("Those travelling salesmen are like bugs") in Verwandlung, suggesting it was a common figure of speech; I was just wondering if anyone is aware of such an expression really having existed. It doesn't sound like the kind of phrase that would enter into the realm of idiom, but who knows.

Even if it was ever in common usage, the chances are it would have dropped out of usage with the decline in travelling salesmen, so there may simply not be a record of it, but I'm curious to know if anyone's ever heard of it.

Thank you all for the replies so far!
Collapse

motuihe
motuihe
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Adorno Mar 9, 2019

Odd that a German philosopher says it is a German expression yet no other Germans seem to have heard it. Maybe it was used in a certain area last in the early part of last century and just fizzled out?

VivianDarkbloom
VivianDarkbloom
United Kingdom
Adorno Mar 9, 2019

Yes, I agree; it could well have died out. My suspicion is that it was more of a sentiment about travelling salesmen than an expression, and Adorno was being a bit "creative" with his phrasing to imply that the bug comparison was in common circulation in order to bolster his argument.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:41
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Heuschrecken? Mar 11, 2019

Leider lebte ich zu Kafkas Zeiten noch nicht. Ist ja unmöglich aus einer englischen Übersetzung zu schließen, was ursprünglich gemeint war. Heuschrecken = locust

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Kafka question

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »