Thread poster: Zeki Güler
Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 14:31
English to Indonesian
+ ...
That, Dec 27, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:
I think a 30-day fully functional trial is the way to go. That way you can really test the program and get a feel for it.

or a completely free version. CafeTran 2013 Light / CafeTran Cappuccino with Lots of Milk. Limited to, say: 1 file format (.docx), 1 TM, 1 terminology database, 1 glossary/lexicon, 1 MT (MyMemory). With detailed instructions and lots of references to the full version. Or not. The latter, that is.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2012-12-27 03:44 GMT]

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Improved SDLPPX handling by the Hobbit Dec 27, 2012

For the record, and to keep this overview of low-cost good CAT tools complete:

Yesterday a new version of CafeTran has been released, offering improved handling of SDL Studio 2011 packages:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/news

I've run a first test this morning with an SDLPPX I received from a client, and everything looks very promising.

[Edited at 2012-12-27 07:
... See more
For the record, and to keep this overview of low-cost good CAT tools complete:

Yesterday a new version of CafeTran has been released, offering improved handling of SDL Studio 2011 packages:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/news

I've run a first test this morning with an SDLPPX I received from a client, and everything looks very promising.

[Edited at 2012-12-27 07:49 GMT]
Collapse

Rob Fraschetti
Rob Fraschetti
Chile
Local time: 03:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Brief advice regarding a CAT/TEnTs tool for a novice/beginner Apr 30, 2013

Dear All,

First of all, please excuse the possibly repeated question (ad nauseum) from people such as myself: "What is the most recommended CAT tool available for a beginner?".

Second, thank you to all who have commented and tried to help us.

My issue is quite clear: There are so many tools offered on the market, that for someone like myself, it becomes not only nerve-racking going through these sites, forums and columns, but due to the lack of experience u
... See more
Dear All,

First of all, please excuse the possibly repeated question (ad nauseum) from people such as myself: "What is the most recommended CAT tool available for a beginner?".

Second, thank you to all who have commented and tried to help us.

My issue is quite clear: There are so many tools offered on the market, that for someone like myself, it becomes not only nerve-racking going through these sites, forums and columns, but due to the lack of experience using these tools – I lack the ability to choose a suitable one.

Having been translating for only a few years, most of my work involves area-specific jargon (business, banking, finance), of which I have been comfortable performing in a basic manner - line by line translating and the time-intensive usage of internet/forums in order to obtain the perfect translation for a specific country/language requirement.

Of course this basic method is very time consuming, hence the interest in obtaining an easy to use "tool" that will simplify this process.

Before I spend money on a tool, I wish that someone could help me in making that decision. Even though I am familiar to the fact that this is a very personal choice based on personal experience - and that everyone will always recommend their tool of choice, I would appreciate some help in obtaining a tool that could have the following attributes:

1.- Able to use in MS Word without changing the original formatting. – in order to not have to retype and reformat everything.
2.- Able to automatically translate terms that have been translated by me earlier on in the document.
3.- Able to save these terms, phrases, words for future reference.

Again, my apologies to the pros that find this request rather simplistic, but as they say in spanish : "en pedir no hay engaño/ theres is no shame in asking"-

Thanks and best regards,

Rob
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to start for a CAT tool ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »