Tópico cartaz: Maxim Manzhosin
Maxim Manzhosin
Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Federação Russa
Local time: 19:01
inglês para russo
Apr 1, 2008

Hello,

I'm translating from English to Russian using a bunch of TBX and tab-delimited text glossaries in Xbench 2.7.214. It looks like Xbench doesn't index Russian target terms: I always get a 'nothing found' message when searching for a Russian word that is definitely present in the glossary.

- Russian characters are displayed correctly along with the English source, only searching for Russian words fails;
- when importing TBX glossaries, the source and target la
... See more
Hello,

I'm translating from English to Russian using a bunch of TBX and tab-delimited text glossaries in Xbench 2.7.214. It looks like Xbench doesn't index Russian target terms: I always get a 'nothing found' message when searching for a Russian word that is definitely present in the glossary.

- Russian characters are displayed correctly along with the English source, only searching for Russian words fails;
- when importing TBX glossaries, the source and target languages were specified correctly;
- I tried both win1251 and UTF8 encodings with the same result.

Any other ideas? Would appreciate replies from users whose target language uses non-Roman characters.

Best regards,
Maxim Manzhosin

[Edited at 2008-04-01 10:15]
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Polônia
Local time: 18:01
Membro (2004)
inglês para polonês
SITE LOCALIZER
Polish works fine... Apr 1, 2008

I was using Xbench for some time and it worked fine, finding both English source terms and Polish target terms. I have used Windows-encoded tab-delimited text files.

I assume that you searched for the Russian terms in the target field (Ctrl+2). If so, have you tried reversing the glossary direction in the file itself and search for Russian as a source?

Maxim Manzhosin
Federação Russa
inglês para russo
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Thanks Apr 1, 2008

Reversing the glossary hasn't come to my mind. Will try this and post the result.

Maxim Manzhosin
Federação Russa
inglês para russo
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Unexpected solution Apr 1, 2008

The problem solved by reverting to Xbench v. 2.7.183. Everything works in this version.

A vivid illustration of the old software developers' joke: "We've fixed old bugs in the new program version, and added a couple of new ones".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching for target terms in ApSic Xbench

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »