Thread poster: Xiaoping Fu
Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
That ad is illegal! Feb 20, 2002

I totally agree with Lazlo. You should contact Henry at Pro.z. If that add was placed on Pro.z, and Pro.z being a US corporation, they are breaking the law! No ads offering employment can be accepted that discriminate on the basis of age, religion, sex, gender, etc., etc.

Do the translators that translate books on murder have to be assassins?

It really stinks.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:53
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
The customers should also show professionalism Feb 20, 2002

The customers have the right to choose translator/interpreter according to their own criteria, but...I don’t thing age or religion are appropriate criteria to select a good translator. As a matter of fact, we do not have to BELIEVE in what we translate to do the job perfectly. And I agree with Silvina that in many case non-believers have wider knowledge on religion related matters than church-goers. So may be this requirement was rather related with expected attitude to work: young may equal t... See more
The customers have the right to choose translator/interpreter according to their own criteria, but...I don’t thing age or religion are appropriate criteria to select a good translator. As a matter of fact, we do not have to BELIEVE in what we translate to do the job perfectly. And I agree with Silvina that in many case non-believers have wider knowledge on religion related matters than church-goers. So may be this requirement was rather related with expected attitude to work: young may equal to well motivated to hard work and inexpensive, Buddhist or Christian – well, this customer might have something in mind. Laszlo, as long as this customer is not spending public money, such requirement could probably be OK., however in most countries (I hope – in most) governments are not allowed to act like this since this is regarded as discrimination. I thing it is matter of professional judgment: do I want to work with the customer who values age and religion higher than professional conduct? I don’t, because I think it is not professional: are they ready to accept poorer quality just because someone isCollapse

CTLeang (X)
CTLeang (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Shocked and sad to read your comments here ... Feb 21, 2002

Shocked and sad to read all comments here. However, thank you for all the valuable suggestions.

1. Why only buddhist and christian ?

- For specific documents, with enthusiastic participation.

2. Why age < 30 ?

- This is 1st round selection. We respect all professional translators; but could we give tiny chances to fresh translators or graduates 1st ?

3. Why play games ?

- Game langauge is slightly diff
... See more
Shocked and sad to read all comments here. However, thank you for all the valuable suggestions.

2. Why age < 30 ?

- This is 1st round selection. We respect all professional translators; but could we give tiny chances to fresh translators or graduates 1st ?

3. Why play games ?

- Game langauge is slightly different in such a way that word or phrase sometimes do not appear in dictionaries and is considered \'grammatically error\'. These \'errors\' are not actually the errors, but another style of art. \"He orders tea and you give him coffee; both are kind of drink but with different taste.\" \"He want to play Capcom\'s Street Fighter 3rd Impact and you give him the 2nd Impact CD; both are same series of games but with different version.\"

\"U.S. people called it Resident-Evil, but the original version in Asia is called Bio-Hazard; both are the same game but with differrent names in different geographical areas\". (If you\'re not a hardcore arcade gamer instilled with Asian culture or you just pretend to be : I strongly recommend you to tune down your spoken \'amplifier\' !)

4. Why there\'s war ?

- When there\'s a misunderstood and with no more negotiation.

I always remembered what my lecturer said :

\"A successful man never act proud, just because they know there will be someone better than him, behind the scene!\"

C.T.Leang

(MSDT Founder)
Collapse

xeni (X)
xeni (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
We are all subjective Feb 21, 2002

although I can make some allowances on the age cathegory (perhaps they want to address a particular age group?), religion is amongst the questions that I hate most in job applications or general forms.

UNQUOTE

So a young girl find age discrimination perfectly all right, but strongly objects to the religion discrimination. I find it kind of funny. My point is that we are all subjective, cannot be anything else being human, and so are the customers.
... See more

although I can make some allowances on the age cathegory (perhaps they want to address a particular age group?), religion is amongst the questions that I hate most in job applications or general forms.

UNQUOTE

So a young girl find age discrimination perfectly all right, but strongly objects to the religion discrimination. I find it kind of funny. My point is that we are all subjective, cannot be anything else being human, and so are the customers. I guess the best way to deal with this problem is not to bid if you don\'t like the requirements.
Collapse

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:53
English to Spanish
Wow, this has become a hot topic... Feb 22, 2002

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-23 19:20 ]

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Argentina
English to Spanish
Wow, this has become a hot topic... Feb 22, 2002

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-23 19:21 ]

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Argentina
English to Spanish
This has become a hot topic... Feb 22, 2002

This has become a very interesting debate.

A few comments:

CTLeang, I guess you are the poster of the controversial request mentioned by Xiaoping. I don\'t suppose you acted in bad faith, but you have to admit your wording was liable to rub people the wrong way. If what you really wanted was someone very well acquainted with Asian culture and games, it would have been much better if you just posted an ad like this: C
... See more
This has become a very interesting debate.

A few comments:

CTLeang, I guess you are the poster of the controversial request mentioned by Xiaoping. I don\'t suppose you acted in bad faith, but you have to admit your wording was liable to rub people the wrong way. If what you really wanted was someone very well acquainted with Asian culture and games, it would have been much better if you just posted an ad like this: Candidates must have extensive knowledge of both Asian culture and computer games.

There. It wasn\'t so hard, wasn\'t it?

About what Ksenia says: I would prefer to work with somebody who shares my values, wouldn\'t you?

Not really. Of course, work is much more pleasant that way, if you translate subjects that you are in perfect sync with, but also, one of the most interesting aspects of translation work (especially freelance work) is that you get in contact with all kinds of documents, including texts you wouldn\'t read or even know of normally, and these include opinions you may not share.

I think the worst part about these discriminatory requests is that they are not based upon the translator\'s qualifications as such, but about things that are extraneous to the work itself, and the quality of the work may be compromised, if the person is not ultimately qualified as translator. But in such cases, it is the client who suffers, not us. After all, there are enough clients who are ready to work with us regardless of our being Christians, atheists, Jews, women, black, whatever. In the case I specifically mentioned, I just declined to answer... After all, I don\'t think they are very nice people to work with, if they are so stuffy.

Collapse

AndrewBM
AndrewBM
Ireland
Local time: 01:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Please don't be shocked and saddened, just try reasoning like a professional Feb 23, 2002

After all, this is a professional site and none of the questions posed above were intended to be critical of your vocation/activity per se. Though, I think we do have a moral right to scrutinise your PR, insofar it affects our rights as professionals.

Regards,

ABM

Quote:

On 2002-02-21 07:08, CTLeang wrote:

Shocked and sad to read all comments here. However, thank... See more
After all, this is a professional site and none of the questions posed above were intended to be critical of your vocation/activity per se. Though, I think we do have a moral right to scrutinise your PR, insofar it affects our rights as professionals.

Regards,

ABM

Quote:

On 2002-02-21 07:08, CTLeang wrote:

2. Why age < 30 ?

3. Why play games ?

- Game langauge is slightly different in such a way that word or phrase sometimes do not appear in dictionaries and is considered \'grammatically error\'. These \'errors\' are not actually the errors, but another style of art. \"He orders tea and you give him coffee; both are kind of drink but with different taste.\" \"He want to play Capcom\'s Street Fighter 3rd Impact and you give him the 2nd Impact CD; both are same series of games but with different version.\"

\"U.S. people called it Resident-Evil, but the original version in Asia is called Bio-Hazard; both are the same game but with differrent names in different geographical areas\". (If you\'re not a hardcore arcade gamer instilled with Asian culture or you just pretend to be : I strongly recommend you to tune down your spoken \'amplifier\' !)

4. Why there\'s war ?

- When there\'s a misunderstood and with no more negotiation.

I always remembered what my lecturer said :

\"A successful man never act proud, just because they know there will be someone better than him, behind the scene!\"

C.T.Leang

(MSDT Founder)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-23 20:33 ]Collapse

Marta Argat
Marta Argat  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:53
Chinese to Ukrainian
+ ...
Gambling Christians? Mar 13, 2002

The employer may not be aware that Christianity oposes gambling ))

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Age and Religion requirements for Translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »