Final Draft (.fdx) source file - how to import to/export from Wordfast?
Thread poster: Phoebe Green
Phoebe Green
Phoebe Green
Local time: 22:00
Member (2009)
French to English
Apr 30, 2019

Hello!

I occasionally need to translate texts produced in Final Draft. My workaround has been to request a .pdf, copy that to MS Word, and use that in Wordfast. Fine for content, but the production staff has to copy and paste the translation into Final Draft on their end.

Does anyone have suggestions to streamline this a bit? I use Wordfast Classic v. 6.40.

Thank you!

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:00
English to French
+ ...
not possible Apr 30, 2019

Wordfast Classic is a Word plug-in, and will work with whatever Word can open, and nothing else. Not knowing Final Draft, all I can say is that whatever file exchange there is between FD and MS Word is it.

IOW, if FD can't export / import in a Word-compatible format, the answer to your question is NO.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:00
English to Czech
Open in Wordfast Pro or Wordfast Anywhere May 1, 2019

It seems FDX files are XML, so you should be able to open them in Wordfast Pro or Wordfast Anywhere (freetm.com). However, you will first need to create a rules file for FDX (see https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Building_a_Rules_File_for_Tagged_Text_Translation_in_Wordfast_Pro).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Final Draft (.fdx) source file - how to import to/export from Wordfast?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »