Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:11
Engels naar Russisch
+ ...
same words Jun 17, 2011

John Rawlins wrote:

I agree strongly with Heinrich.

I agree strongly with Heinrich and John.

Translation agencies Jun 17, 2011

Anna, thanks very much for your reply.

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Local time: 23:11
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Agree: stick to your rates Jun 18, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

... but I really think we should not calculate along these lines. If our service is too expensive for some customer, there is nothing we can do about it. There are low-cost and high-cost countries, and our rates should reflect our own cost-structure, not that of a client in country X.
I charge all clients the same, ...
Regards
Heinrich

Agree absolutely here. It is none of my business where an agency is based - they are searching for translators - in my case - to a Western European target language. Obviously, when they are searching for qualified natives with a vivid daily contact to the language - they have to comply with the living costs here, not on a funky Carribean Island with no internet connection and dream rents.

Of course you should stick to your own rates, no matter where the agency contacting you is residing...

[Edited at 2011-06-19 11:18 GMT]

Patricia Will
Patricia Will  Identity Verified
Australië
Local time: 05:11
Lid 2004
Duits naar Engels
Agency rates in Australia Jun 19, 2011

Hi Hugo, agree with Anna, 0.20 - 0.30 AUD per word seems to be in the right ball park for agency work. However, I don't know how much demand there is for French-English in this country. If I were you I would try to keep at least some of your customers from Europe, at least until you get established here. I translate from German to English and find that most of my work comes from clients in Europe. I think for most European languages the market here is fairly limited. It makes sense - most Europe... See more
Hi Hugo, agree with Anna, 0.20 - 0.30 AUD per word seems to be in the right ball park for agency work. However, I don't know how much demand there is for French-English in this country. If I were you I would try to keep at least some of your customers from Europe, at least until you get established here. I translate from German to English and find that most of my work comes from clients in Europe. I think for most European languages the market here is fairly limited. It makes sense - most European countries exporting to English-speaking countries tend to provide their sales material, documentation, operating manuals etc. in English, so where would the demand be.
Good luck.
Trish Will
Collapse

mh1019
mh1019  Identity Verified
Australië
Local time: 07:11
Engels naar Koreaans
+ ...
what about rates for basic certificates from LOTE into English? Jan 6, 2013

This is such useful information for someone like me who is just starting their career as a translator in Australia.

Then, what about basic certificates like driver's license, birth certificates, etc? I found that most agencies in Sydney were charging $80 per page for these certificates, but I wonder how much I should charge translation agencies for them (LOTE into English)...

I recently passed NAATI test through school, and have been doing some research on translating
... See more
This is such useful information for someone like me who is just starting their career as a translator in Australia.

Then, what about basic certificates like driver's license, birth certificates, etc? I found that most agencies in Sydney were charging $80 per page for these certificates, but I wonder how much I should charge translation agencies for them (LOTE into English)...

I recently passed NAATI test through school, and have been doing some research on translating cost. So, any input would be much appreciated.
Collapse

tralynnoz
tralynnoz  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:11
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
your rate should match your effort and the quality of your work Feb 14, 2013

I have fixed rates for documents such as birth & marriage certificates, and police clearances for example, as they are templates where you just change the personal data, and you know exactly how long it will take you to complete the job.

With other documents, my rates are the same, regardless if it is agency or direct client work (between AUD 0.20 and 0.30 depending on the complexity of the assignment). In the end, it's the same effort, but direct clients pay on delivery (which it
... See more
I have fixed rates for documents such as birth & marriage certificates, and police clearances for example, as they are templates where you just change the personal data, and you know exactly how long it will take you to complete the job.

With other documents, my rates are the same, regardless if it is agency or direct client work (between AUD 0.20 and 0.30 depending on the complexity of the assignment). In the end, it's the same effort, but direct clients pay on delivery (which it better for my bottom line) and with agencies, you sometimes have to wait 30-45 days for payment.

In order to increase my "market share", I also want to be cheaper than the agencies to attract more clients (I get a lot of referral and word of mouth work from former and current clients).

It is sometimes difficult to weigh up if you want to accept lower paid work in order to have some income in quieter times, but be careful that you don't de-value your work. I tend to lock away 20% of all my earnings which I can use to tie me over during quiet times.

There are some "cowboys" out there who charge clients a fortune and will offer you peanuts, expect a really fast turnaround, high quality work and then let you wait for payment - try to avoid them as they are toxic.
Collapse

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates charged to translation agencies in Australia - suggestions needed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »