Thread poster: Nora Ellen
Nora Ellen
Nora Ellen
Brazil
Member (2019)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2023

Has anyone used SDL Trados Freelancer successfully in a Linux distro? If so, which one? What challenges did you encounter?

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Doesn't Work Jul 24, 2023

Unfortunately, Trados wouldn't run on Linux. See here for more info:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5709

I'm glad that I don't have to use this piece of bloated Absolutely Proprietary™ software. Such luxury has allowed me to become a full-time Linux user.

BTW, distros don't really matter. If Trados
... See more
Unfortunately, Trados wouldn't run on Linux. See here for more info:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5709

I'm glad that I don't have to use this piece of bloated Absolutely Proprietary™ software. Such luxury has allowed me to become a full-time Linux user.

BTW, distros don't really matter. If Trados could run on one Linux distro (either as a native app or through Wine compatibility layer), it would run on anything else. Outside system administration, the differences among them are mostly irrelevant. Just pick the distro's logo you like the most and roll with it.

HTH, FWIW.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Virtual Machine Jul 24, 2023

The only way to do this is to run Windows in a virtual machine. For us Linux users, KVM/QEMU is often cited as the best option due to its near bare-metal performance. I can testify to this notion, but only for as long as the guest VM is another Linux distro or a *BSD operating system. I have never booted into Windows since I converted, so I don't know if Microsoft introduced some nonsense that would prevent their OS from running properly in a virtualized ecosystem. You may want to take a look at... See more
The only way to do this is to run Windows in a virtual machine. For us Linux users, KVM/QEMU is often cited as the best option due to its near bare-metal performance. I can testify to this notion, but only for as long as the guest VM is another Linux distro or a *BSD operating system. I have never booted into Windows since I converted, so I don't know if Microsoft introduced some nonsense that would prevent their OS from running properly in a virtualized ecosystem. You may want to take a look at it yourself.

Having said that, KVM/QEMU could be a little complicated to set up. If you don't want to deal with the technicalities, I recommend just using the flagship Fedora Linux with GNOME desktop environment. It has GNOME Boxes virtual machine manager pre-installed, which uses KVM/QEMU for its backend. Really dead simple to configure. But do keep in mind that you can still install GNOME Boxes on any Linux distribution or desktop environment. Again, distros don't really matter.

[Edited at 2023-07-24 05:47 GMT]
Collapse

Nora Ellen
Nora Ellen
Brazil
Member (2019)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What CAT tool? Jul 24, 2023

Mr. Satan wrote:

HTH, FWIW.

I would like to become a full time Linux user. What CAT tool do you use?

John Fry
John Fry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:45
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Cafe Tran Espresso? Jul 24, 2023

Not an answer to your question, but Cafe Tran Espresso is operationally similar to Trados Studio and runs in Linux.

Mr. Satan (X)

Nora Ellen
Nora Ellen
Brazil
Member (2019)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. That is a big help! Jul 24, 2023

John Fry wrote:

Not an answer to your question, but Cafe Tran Espresso is operationally similar to Trados Studio and runs in Linux.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Info Jul 24, 2023

See https://translateonlinux.org/

Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
My Tools Jul 25, 2023

Nora Ellen wrote:

They are cloud-based translation systems that my clients provided to me. My apologies, but I'm not allowed to disclose the names of these tools due to their NDAs. (I know! I hate it too.)

[Edited at 2023-07-25 00:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternative OS environment for Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »