Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 8, 2022

I've just had a notice from RWS that they will cancel all Trados licenses prior to 2015.

no more resets

Essentially, if you're using one of these older versions of Trados, your Trados will stop working when you get a new computer. In my opinion, the least they can do is to provide a non-resetting license to all such license holders, so that we can continue using the product after the license resetting functionality ends.

The alternative would be to use pirated software, and getting cracks for these older versions is now harder than ever.

[Edited at 2022-08-08 10:25 GMT]

David Jessop
Yossi Rozenman
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis
Stepan Konev
MollyRose
ahartje

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:52
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Breach of contract Aug 8, 2022

Isn't this a breach of contract?

Darius Sciuka
Yossi Rozenman
Lingua 5B

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
On the other hand ... Aug 8, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

I've just had a notice from RWS that they will cancel all Trados licenses prior to 2015.

no more resets

Essentially, if you're using one of these older versions of Trados, your Trados will stop working when you get a new computer. In my opinion, the least they can do is to provide a non-resetting license to all such license holders, so that we can continue using the product after the license resetting functionality ends.

The alternative would be to use pirated software, and getting cracks for these older versions is now harder than ever.

....there's Wordfast Pro which stops working the day your licence expires and you can trash it if you do not intend to renew your licence.
AFAIK there are no limitations for MemoQ, your licence expires but you can continue using the app. However, the day you want to upgrade, you have to pay for all the updates since the expiry of your licence.
So I will certainly stick to Cafetran, you buy a not so expensive lifetime licence and are happy ever after.

Tom in London

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Wolfgang Aug 8, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:
1. On the other hand, there's Wordfast Pro which stops working the day your licence expires and you can trash it if you do not intend to renew your licence.
2. AFAIK there are no limitations for MemoQ, your licence expires but you can continue using the app.

With Wordfast Pro, when you buy it, you know that it's not a perpetual license but only a 3-year license, so that's different. Fortunately, a license for WFP 6 still gets you access to resetting the WFP3 license even though you can no longer buy WFP3 separately. The Trados products were sold as having perpetual licenses, so there is a reasonable expectation that it should remain possible to use the products for as long as the license resetting company exists. I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) MemoQ also phones home when you re-install it, so it's the same situation as with Trados.

Tom in London wrote:
Isn't this a breach of contract?

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know. Odds are the fine print doesn't *actually* say that the company is required to reset the license indefinitely. It's more a moral thing. Trados 2014 (and even Trados 2009) is not too dissimilar from Trados 2021, so this forces people to upgrade to a product that they already have. Trados 2007 is a different matter: it's an entirely different product (but I still get the occasional file from clients with "ttx" somewhere in its file extension, so someone is still using it).

[Edited at 2022-08-08 12:05 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Cafetran Aug 8, 2022

With Cafetran, past the three years of a perpetual licence (there are other licencing options, but this is the one discussed here), you cannot get a new licence file for use on a new computer/hard drive/file location/OS. Only use the existing licence file after reinstalling Cafetran to the same file location/hard drive/OS.

Specifically, it is stated:

"At the end of the three-year period, any support or upgrades — including the support necessary to reinstall or move yo
... See more
With Cafetran, past the three years of a perpetual licence (there are other licencing options, but this is the one discussed here), you cannot get a new licence file for use on a new computer/hard drive/file location/OS. Only use the existing licence file after reinstalling Cafetran to the same file location/hard drive/OS.

Specifically, it is stated:

"At the end of the three-year period, any support or upgrades — including the support necessary to reinstall or move your copy of CafeTran Espresso to a new computer — would require that you obtain a new license."

Source: https://www.cafetran.com/get-cafetran/
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:52
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Good to know Aug 8, 2022

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

"At the end of the three-year period, any support or upgrades — including the support necessary to reinstall or move your copy of CafeTran Espresso to a new computer — would require that you obtain a new license."

Source: https://www.cafetran.com/get-cafetran/

Good to know. Another reason to add to the many others I have for not upgrading to a new computer

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In my book, though Aug 8, 2022

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:
With Cafetran, past the three years of a perpetual licence, you cannot get a new licence file for use on a new computer/hard drive/file location/OS.

In my book, that's just a time-limited license that doesn't automatically send a signal to the program to stop working at the end of the licensing period. Some versions of Wordfast also work that way: the license is for 3 years, but if you don't do anything weird to your computer, you can continue using it after the license expired.

[Edited at 2022-08-08 12:56 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Desperate? Aug 8, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Me too. Smacks of desperation. Maybe it's the only way they can get people to buy it now its near-monopoly has gone.

As it happens, I used my Studio 2014 last week for the first time in 3-4 years, but that was only as a bridge to MemoQ, so I certainly won't be upgrading even without the trust issues.

David Jessop
Tom in London
Lingua 5B

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Highly unethical - leave TrustPilot review Aug 8, 2022

I find their behaviour highly unethical as I had understood I was buying a perpetual license. The differences between 2014 and current version are minimal. They are taking advantage and forcing translators who work part time or live in countries where rates are low to buy unnecessary and expensive upgrades.

I will be expressing my dismay with a negative review on the TrustPilot website and I encourage others to do the same.

Ursula Dias
Tom in London
Martin Bilík
Maciek Drobka
Anton Konashenok
Andrew Poloyan
mek0n

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
My TrustPilot review - Please leave a review Aug 11, 2022

This is my TrustPilot review I have left after receiving the email that SDL would no longer reset licences. I encourage other translators who feel this decision is unfair to leave their own review.

SDL

[Edited at 2022-08-11 06:38 GMT]

Tom in London
Christopher Schröder

Vladimir Morozov
Vladimir Morozov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
it's no longer SDL, but RWS Aug 13, 2022

David Jessop wrote:

This is my TrustPilot review I have left after receiving the email that SDL would no longer reset licences. I encourage other translators who feel this decision is unfair to leave their own review.

Only it's no longer SDL, but RWS...

Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Exactely. Aug 18, 2022

Vladimir Morozov wrote:

David Jessop wrote:

Only it's no longer SDL, but RWS...

SDL and RWS have nothing to do with each other, obviously a business model is totally different.

Are we going to need to pay upgrades €150 each year, does anybody know?

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Cafetran. Aug 18, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

no more resets

....there's Wordfast Pro which stops working the day your licence expires and you can trash it if you do not intend to renew your licence.
AFAIK there are no limitations for MemoQ, your licence expires but you can continue using the app. However, the day you want to upgrade, you have to pay for all the updates since the expiry of your licence.
So I will certainly stick to Cafetran, you buy a not so expensive lifetime licence and are happy ever after.

A lifetime license until they have a merger like Trados-RWS and start acting like RWS.

Is Cafetran compatible with Trados files?

Btw, is there a reason why I can't find either Trados or RWS page on Trustpilot?

[Edited at 2022-08-18 09:30 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Your review. Aug 18, 2022

David Jessop wrote:

SDL

I can't find any reviews on Trustpilot, including yours? Why is this?

Olivier Crouzet

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
CafeTran Trados compatibility Aug 18, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Is Cafetran compatible with Trados files?

Generally, yes. I think it is second only to MemoQ in that regard.

CafeTran supports both bilingual Trados files and packages (and automatically detects and imports *as TMX* SDLTM and SDLTB files), setting translation status to Translated and exporting return packages.

Trados statuses are mapped to CafeTran statuses (which sometimes have their own wording), and Comments are mapped to Notes.

Lately, it also supports the track changes feature.

Some limitations (which apply to external project files in general) include:

- Export bilingual DOCX for review. You can export bilingual DOCX files (with or without notes) for external review via Project > Export & Exchange menu. However, importing the changes directly back into CafeTran via Projects > Export & Exchange > Import bilingual file is reserved to native projects.
- Auto-propagation is supported (also across multiple files, if they are virtually glued together). However, the P and nP marks for auto-propagation and no propagation of individual segments are displayed for the current session only.
- Split/Join segments. CafeTran only supports virtual joining of segments in external projects. The feature allows to join segments in the segments’ editor and rearrange their contents comfortably. As soon as the joined segments leave the editor, their number is the same as before joining but their respective text contents is changed (rearranged), hence the virtual aspect of this feature. Make sure you keep the added tags intact.

Also:
- If you are expected to deliver an SDLTB file for a job with no access to Trados/Multiterm, you might need to resort to the Glossary Converter.
- Server projects (Groupshare) are not supported

I've written a few more details here: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/4-File-formats#trados-studio

Minor quirks can be expected, (especially, it is crucial to run the QA step for tag issues in CafeTran).

If you do have a working Trados copy, I recommend checking CafeTran-finalized files in Trados prior to delivery.

[Edited at 2022-08-18 12:59 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Hans Lenting
Edwin den Boer

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RWS forcibly deperpetualizing licences older than 2015

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »