Thread poster: DIANNE BEREST
DIANNE BEREST
DIANNE BEREST  Identity Verified
Montenegro
Local time: 18:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2022

Hello, until recently, I was using Memsource with a free account, purchasing characters. However, that's no longer an option and I must either have a paid account (which is not worth it for me as I use it only occasionally) or "sign up with a supported machine translation provider of your choice (and) receive an API key to be provided to Memsource..." I am trying to purchase a Google cloud translation API for this purpose, but I'm confused about the price. Several sites - mostly translation sit... See more
Hello, until recently, I was using Memsource with a free account, purchasing characters. However, that's no longer an option and I must either have a paid account (which is not worth it for me as I use it only occasionally) or "sign up with a supported machine translation provider of your choice (and) receive an API key to be provided to Memsource..." I am trying to purchase a Google cloud translation API for this purpose, but I'm confused about the price. Several sites - mostly translation sites - indicate that the cost is USD 20 per 1 M characters, however, when I go to the site to purchase it ("Cloud Translation API"), it says the price is USD 45.00/hour. Maybe I'm purchasing the wrong thing? And if it is USD 45/hour, does that mean that the entire time I'm using Memsource I will be billed by Google at 45/hour? Alternatively, any suggestions for a different translation provider to connect to Memsource that is less expensive would also be appreciated.Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Dianne Feb 10, 2022

DIANNE BEREST wrote:
Several sites - mostly translation sites - indicate that the cost is USD 20 per 1 M characters, however, when I go to the site to purchase it ("Cloud Translation API"), it says the price is USD 45.00/hour. Maybe I'm purchasing the wrong thing?

I use it all the time and the price is indeed per million characters. But it is very, very, very difficult to sign up for it.

https://cloud.google.com/translate/pricing

The instructions in this video seem very familiar to me, and it's a reasonably recent video:
https://youtu.be/c9_1-Yy4uKU?t=37
(including everything up to just before "restricting" the API to your URL, since you don't be needing that)

The Google Cloud Console is here:
https://console.cloud.google.com/

[Edited at 2022-02-10 20:03 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:15
English to Russian
Try QTranslate Feb 11, 2022

You can use this app for free. It works so that it replaces any selected text with MT of you choice (you can choose from a number of MT engines).
1. Assign a shortcut to replace selection with translation.
2. Select your target segment in Memsource.
3. Press the shortcut.

*Btw, It was updated just today:
Improved: Goggle translation aligned with site quality
Fixed: Papago, Promt, Yandex, youdao, Google search, and Urban services
Misc: Removed wol
... See more
You can use this app for free. It works so that it replaces any selected text with MT of you choice (you can choose from a number of MT engines).
1. Assign a shortcut to replace selection with translation.
2. Select your target segment in Memsource.
3. Press the shortcut.

*Btw, It was updated just today:
Improved: Goggle translation aligned with site quality
Fixed: Papago, Promt, Yandex, youdao, Google search, and Urban services
Misc: Removed wolfssl library in favor of native Windows SSL support
Updated: libcurl to 7.81.0

[Edited at 2022-02-11 09:55 GMT]
Collapse

DIANNE BEREST
DIANNE BEREST  Identity Verified
Montenegro
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 11, 2022

Thank you Samuel and Stepan! So appreciate your assistance.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Cost of google cloud translation API

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »