How to fix wrong punctuation from source in target
Thread poster: Roman Voříšek
Roman Voříšek
Roman Voříšek
Czech Republic
Nov 8, 2021

Hello everyone,

please, I need help - I have a huge source file (more than 1000 pages). In this source, there is a lot of mistakes such as two dots, missing dot, space before colon etc. I would like to fix these kind of mistakes in the target. But if I fix it during the translations, OmegaT considers the segment as non-translated, probably because of different "pattern" of the segment / segment rules.
Because of size of the document, I can't fix such a mistakes before translat
... See more
Hello everyone,

please, I need help - I have a huge source file (more than 1000 pages). In this source, there is a lot of mistakes such as two dots, missing dot, space before colon etc. I would like to fix these kind of mistakes in the target. But if I fix it during the translations, OmegaT considers the segment as non-translated, probably because of different "pattern" of the segment / segment rules.
Because of size of the document, I can't fix such a mistakes before translation. I would like to force such segments as translated. Is it possible?

The document is updated twice a year and I just would like to jump over rally non-translated segments (the new ones) and not over the segments that have been translated but with corrected punctuation.

Thank you very much in advance.
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:15
English to Czech
No acceptable way Nov 8, 2021

Roman Voříšek wrote:

2. Because of size of the document, I can't fix such a mistakes before translation. I would like to force such segments as translated. Is it possible?

1. The document is updated twice a year and I just would like to jump over rally non-translated segments

OmegaT open a whole project and its files. To fix mistakes in source project is on author of text.
If translator "splits or merges" segments or their parts, the segmentation is changed and project is re-opened for translating.
It can be accepted by small project only.

Changing of segmentation rules in OmegaT: set-up paragraph instead o sentence segmentation.

Milan

[Edited at 2021-11-08 15:45 GMT]

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:15
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
in project_save.tmx Nov 8, 2021

Make a copy of this file, positioned in omegat folder within your project.
Open it with some powerful text editor, like Notepad++; if not with it, even with Notepad (try), in order to execute one series of different commands; one of them might be:

[space][dot]
replace all with
[dot]

In Notepad++, there is a very sofisticated Search menu; in your case it is the sub-menu "Replace", and more in it...

After refurbishing of this copy of project
... See more
Make a copy of this file, positioned in omegat folder within your project.
Open it with some powerful text editor, like Notepad++; if not with it, even with Notepad (try), in order to execute one series of different commands; one of them might be:

[space][dot]
replace all with
[dot]

In Notepad++, there is a very sofisticated Search menu; in your case it is the sub-menu "Replace", and more in it...

After refurbishing of this copy of project_save.tmx file, put it into the omegat folder (or it can be already there, why not), zip-archive the real project_save.tmx, and replace it with your edited file; of course you need to rename the edited file in order that it bears the exact name as OmegaT requires.
And after that, re-open the project.

That will fix your previously translated and compiled material.

You can try FIRST, to zip-archive the previous files in Source folder; so the above project_save.tmx file, wont' ENCOUNTER any of old files, but just the very ones you work on.

All above concerns working on engine TM; we translators usually fix all these things in real source file, but it might be tricky if you work with full xml files like xliff kind.

Roman Voříšek wrote:

Hello everyone,

Because of size of the document, I can't fix such a mistakes before translation. I would like to force such segments as translated. Is it possible?

The document is updated twice a year and I just would like to jump over rally non-translated segments (the new ones) and not over the segments that have been translated but with corrected punctuation.

Thank you very much in advance.

[Edited at 2021-11-08 12:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-11-08 12:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-11-08 12:51 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to fix wrong punctuation from source in target

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »