Anyone experience with LibreOffice, the new free DTP programme?
Téma indítója: Lotte Bulckens
Lotte Bulckens
Lotte Bulckens  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:49
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - holland
+ ...
Jan 27, 2012

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if there is anyone who uses LibreOffice, the new free DTP programme?
Any comments to share your experience with me?
Is it easy to learn for someone who has no idea of DTP?

Thanks!
Lotte

Tony M
Tony M
Franciaország
ProZ.com-tag
francia - angol
+ ...
A WEBOLDALAT LOKALIZÁLÓ FORDÍTÓ
Correction Jan 27, 2012

I don't have specific experience, so can't help you in that respect.

However, I think you'll find LibreOffice is a suite of office applications, like OpenOffice or MS Office; as such, it will include wordprocessing facilities, among others, but I suspect its DTP facilities (like MS Publisher?) might be a bit limited.

Depends what you want it for, as you say you are a complete beginner? However, you might need to consider the issue of file compatibility with other applic
... See more
I don't have specific experience, so can't help you in that respect.

However, I think you'll find LibreOffice is a suite of office applications, like OpenOffice or MS Office; as such, it will include wordprocessing facilities, among others, but I suspect its DTP facilities (like MS Publisher?) might be a bit limited.

Depends what you want it for, as you say you are a complete beginner? However, you might need to consider the issue of file compatibility with other applications, if you need to be able to exchange files with customers, for example.

I shall be very interested to see what others have to say about this, as it might well be helpful for me too! (I was brought up on (then] Aldus PageMaker!)

I've just checked it out, and apparently, it doesn't have a specific DTP component, though it does offer semi-DTP facilities within its wordprocessor, seemingly of the sort of level you may be familiar with in MS Word; good enough for basics, but not suitable for serious work.

This may be what was confusing you: (from the LO website)

"LibreOffice is a feature-packed and mature desktop productivity package with some really great advantages:"

[Modifié le 2012-01-27 16:42 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Hollandia
Tag (2006 óta)
angol - afrikaans
+ ...
LibreO Draw Jan 27, 2012

Lotte Bulckens wrote:
I was wondering if there is anyone who uses LibreOffice, the new free DTP programme?

LibreOffice is an office suite, not a DTP program. It is not new (it has been around for a while, and it used to be called OpenOffice.org, which has existed for even longer and which is still available).

LibreO contains a word processor (Writer, like Word), a spreadsheet program (Calc, like Excel), a presentations program (Impress, like PowerPoint), plus three other components namely a diagram editor (Draw, which comes close to DTP), a database program (Base, like Access) and a mathematical formula editor (Math).

The page for LibreO Draw is here:
http://www.libreoffice.org/features/draw/

I'm happy that the folks from LibreOffice promotes Draw as a diagram editor and not as a DTP program, like the folks from OpenOffice.org desperately tried to do for so long.

You can do DTP work in Draw but you can find better programs to do DTP in. For example, if you want to spend no money on it, try: http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

The problem with any DTP program is that you can't just learn by clicking. You really need training, or you need very good tutorials and handbooks. Anyone who can type can use MS Word, but you need good art skills and training to use a DTP program.

[Edited at 2012-01-27 19:26 GMT]

Werner Maurer
Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 16:49
spanyol - angol
+ ...
I would wait Jan 27, 2012

I've been wanting to graduate from OpenOffice to LibreOffice (its semi-direct descendant) but have decided to wait until a newer version than 1.0 comes out. I would advise you to do the same. The accepted wisdom is to stay away from ".0" software. User reviews detail numerous bugs and quirks in the current version. OpenOffice is still good and still available but is admittedly a bit slow. You might try the portable version; it's a lot faster and runs without installing. Unfortunately the only g... See more
I've been wanting to graduate from OpenOffice to LibreOffice (its semi-direct descendant) but have decided to wait until a newer version than 1.0 comes out. I would advise you to do the same. The accepted wisdom is to stay away from ".0" software. User reviews detail numerous bugs and quirks in the current version. OpenOffice is still good and still available but is admittedly a bit slow. You might try the portable version; it's a lot faster and runs without installing. Unfortunately the only good freeware in a genuine page-layout is Scribus, which while good, is slow and and has user interface anomalies (menu items in hard-to-find locations). Serif often has previous-generation versions of their excellent PagePlus for around $20. I have used that for years and been pretty happy with it. I STILL wish I could afford InDesign, though.Collapse

Paul Carmichael
Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
OpenOffice Jan 28, 2012

Lotte Bulckens wrote:

Hi everybody,

Any comments to share your experience with me?
Is it easy to learn for someone who has no idea of DTP?

Thanks!
Lotte

It's just the new name for OpenOffice since Oracle dropped it.

Tristan Jimenez
Tristan Jimenez  Identity Verified
Franciaország
angol - francia
Useful but not great Jan 28, 2012

Hi,
I work on LibreOffice, which used to be OpenOffice, for the only reason that i have Linux..
It is sufficient but very limited... I wouldn't recommend it except for those unlucky like me who do not have Windows..
And again it is not a DTP program.
Good Luck to you!

Paul Carmichael
Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
Scribus Jan 28, 2012

Tristan Jimenez wrote:

Hi,
I work on LibreOffice, which used to be OpenOffice, for the only reason that i have Linux..
It is sufficient but very limited... I wouldn't recommend it except for those unlucky like me who do not have Windows..
And again it is not a DTP program.

But Scribus is... and it's free

http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

And not having Windows is hardly unlucky.

veratek
veratek
Brazília
Local time: 20:49
francia - angol
+ ...
I think it's great Jan 29, 2012

LibreOffice is in some ways much better than Word. Word can crash and ruin large complicated files in a way that LO does not.

I think LO it's great, and it basically does everything I need in Office. Their spreadsheet is fine too, except that it doesn't round off number calculations automatically--even when the display is rounded off-- beware!

I haven't tried much of the other LO applications.

What I think it is really bad is that companies insist in giving
... See more
LibreOffice is in some ways much better than Word. Word can crash and ruin large complicated files in a way that LO does not.

I think LO it's great, and it basically does everything I need in Office. Their spreadsheet is fine too, except that it doesn't round off number calculations automatically--even when the display is rounded off-- beware!

I haven't tried much of the other LO applications.

What I think it is really bad is that companies insist in giving their money over to Microsoft for their stupid Office suite licence, when there is LO--completely free-- doing the same. Then everyone else is forced to do the same.

We could all be free of MS but just because a lot of people are too accommodated and sluggish, things don't change.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
Tag (2006 óta)
angol - orosz
+ ...
A WEBOLDALAT LOKALIZÁLÓ FORDÍTÓ
Inaccurate Jan 30, 2012

Paul Carmichael wrote:

It's just the new name for OpenOffice since Oracle dropped it.

1. LibreOffice is not a new name, it’s a fork.
2. It’s a fork of OpenOffice.org, not of OpenOffice.
3. Yes, OpenOffice.org was dropped by Oracle since version 3.3.0, but it’s not discontinued, you can even download a beta of OOo 3.4,

[Edited at 2012-01-30 05:38 GMT]

Lotte Bulckens
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - holland
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Thank you! Jan 31, 2012

Hello everybody,

Thank you very much for your interesting and useful replies!

Lotte

Lotte Bulckens
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - holland
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Thank you Samuel ;) Jan 31, 2012

The problem with any DTP program is that you can't just learn by clicking. You really need training, or you need very good tutorials and handbooks. Anyone who can type can use MS Word, but you need good art skills and training to use a DTP program.

I will keep this in mind, Thanks Samuel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone experience with LibreOffice, the new free DTP programme?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »