Autocorrect suddenly starts making stupid changes
Initiator des Themas: Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Local time: 06:00
Norwegisch > Englisch
Jun 25, 2010

I have always kept the autocorrect activated in MS Word 2000, because occasionally it does help. For example, I have this annoying habit that when I type the word "the" I constantly put the space BEFORE the "e" instead of after it. So I have created a rule which corrects this. Suddenly today I discovered that every time I type "which", an extra "h" is added, giving "whichh", and I also get "alwayss" and "experiencee", when I type these words perfectly correctly. I looked at the autocorrect rules... See more
I have always kept the autocorrect activated in MS Word 2000, because occasionally it does help. For example, I have this annoying habit that when I type the word "the" I constantly put the space BEFORE the "e" instead of after it. So I have created a rule which corrects this. Suddenly today I discovered that every time I type "which", an extra "h" is added, giving "whichh", and I also get "alwayss" and "experiencee", when I type these words perfectly correctly. I looked at the autocorrect rules and found that sure enough, there is a rule there which corrects "whic" to "which"! Now to me this seems totally stupid, as it means that when I type w-h-i-c-h, Word adds an "h" as soon as I have typed the "c" - so when I correctly finish typing the word, it ends up with TWO "hs" - both the one I correctly typed AND the one Word has added without me asking it to!

I have now had to turn off the autocorrect function, which means that I lose that rule for correcting "th e" mentioned above. The really strange thing is that this has NEVER happened until today! Why would there suddenly be a whole new set of autocorrect rules in my setup which weren't there before - some of them absolutely STUPID?

Geoff
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
Frankreich
Local time: 12:00
Mitglied
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Similar problem Jun 25, 2010

Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one, then!

This happened to me some months ago, and I put it down to some kind of a bug-fix that had downloaded from MS (since certain other genuine bugs did suddenly seem to be fixed!)

In my case, apart from the problem with 'which', it also started capitalizing every initial 'I', even on valid words!

I think the problem is not in fact the autocorrect rules per se, but rather, the way Word detects the trailing sp
... See more
Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one, then!

This happened to me some months ago, and I put it down to some kind of a bug-fix that had downloaded from MS (since certain other genuine bugs did suddenly seem to be fixed!)

In my case, apart from the problem with 'which', it also started capitalizing every initial 'I', even on valid words!

I think the problem is not in fact the autocorrect rules per se, but rather, the way Word detects the trailing space, which must be how it decides when you'e got to the end of a word; have you noticed how the 'autocorrect' isn't invoked until you press 'space' to end the word?

I have never got to the bottom of this, it seems to be sometimes intermittent, but as you say, it is a real nuisance having to keep 'autocorrect' turned off just because of this
Collapse

Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Norwegisch > Englisch
THEMENSTARTER
Progress Jun 25, 2010

Tony M wrote:

I think the problem is not in fact the autocorrect rules per se, but rather, the way Word detects the trailing space, which must be how it decides when you'e got to the end of a word; have you noticed how the 'autocorrect' isn't invoked until you press 'space' to end the word?

Actually, that isn't what I'm finding. If I type, for example a-l-w-a-y-s, the extra "s" appears as soon as I've typed the "y" ...

However, your comment did start some sort of process in my brain, because I remembered that when using the font that my client has used in the source document, the extra letter "s" appeared as soon as I typed the "y" of "always", but if I opened a new document in Normal style and typed "alway" the extra "s" didn't appear until I pressed the space bar. So I looked at the style the client is using (clearly a custom style the client has created) and discovered the following:

Normal + Font: Times-RomanFont color: Black, English (U.K.), Line spacing multiple 1.2 li, Not Widow/orphan control, Not Autospace between Asian characters and Latin characters, Not autospace between Asian

So I'm now beginning to conclude that it has something to do with the last two items, i.e. the ones regarding autospace. I can't say I'm very surprised to discover that this has something to do with styles, which always seem to cause more trouble than they are with, in my opinion.

At least it's a comfort to know that once I've finished with this particular assignment, I will be able to turn my autocorrect back on and it will help me avoid that D**N "th s"....

Geoff

Jeremy Amos
Jeremy Amos  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Local time: 11:00
Deutsch > Englisch
Same problem Mar 1, 2012

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I have exactly the same problem (alwayss, whichh, In) and as Google quickly brought me here, I thought it worth mentioning my experience for future Googlers.

I think Geoff's probably on the right track, because whilst my document doesn't appear to contain any 'Not Autospace between Asian characters and Latin characters, Not autospace between Asian' styles, it is a complete dog's breakfast as far as general formatting goes (always is fr
... See more
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I have exactly the same problem (alwayss, whichh, In) and as Google quickly brought me here, I thought it worth mentioning my experience for future Googlers.

I think Geoff's probably on the right track, because whilst my document doesn't appear to contain any 'Not Autospace between Asian characters and Latin characters, Not autospace between Asian' styles, it is a complete dog's breakfast as far as general formatting goes (always is from this customer) and like him I do not experience the problem in a new document, so I suspect that it's document specific.
In my case, I'm working on a .docx opened in Word 2003 using the Office 2007 compatibility pack, which may or may not be relevant, though my guess is that the problem is introduced when importing text from some crappy third party application into Office.

I'm just going to turn off autocorrect for this job and hope that Microsoft fixes this someday.
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Englisch > Japanisch
+ ...
This is off-topic, but.. Mar 1, 2012

I just run into this article. The auto-correct error caused havoc in this high school.
Ouch...

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/01/auto-correct-error-in-text-message-leads-to-school-lockdown/

Rie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Autocorrect suddenly starts making stupid changes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »