Max Hellwig
Max Hellwig  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:24
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 13, 2015

I have a problem exporting an .xls file from DejaVu.
I run DejaVu X2 Professional (version 8.0.533) under Win7. When exporting the document, Excel reports that a file with the name DVXXlsPort.xls already exists and is read-only. As far as I can tell, this file is a macro needed during the export process, so it seems obvious that it already exists. Additionally, when I check its properties, it is not read-only.
A Word document from the same project was exported just fine.
I hop
... See more
I have a problem exporting an .xls file from DejaVu.
I run DejaVu X2 Professional (version 8.0.533) under Win7. When exporting the document, Excel reports that a file with the name DVXXlsPort.xls already exists and is read-only. As far as I can tell, this file is a macro needed during the export process, so it seems obvious that it already exists. Additionally, when I check its properties, it is not read-only.
A Word document from the same project was exported just fine.
I hope you can help me out.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:24
English to Turkish
+ ...
restart computer Jan 13, 2015

Hi Max,

It seems that an Excel instance is open already. Please restart your computer and try again.

Selcuk

Max Hellwig
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
already done Jan 13, 2015

Thanks Selcuk, but unfortunately the problem has persisted for days despite several restarts (I translated it first, before the Word document). However, Excel opens automatically during the export process, apparently to access said macro file.

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Workaround/kludge suggestions Jan 13, 2015

Hi.

I recall similar problems but have never yet been wholly unable to export a file.

My suggested workaround:

- Remove all TMs from the project
- Create a new temporary TM
- Attach the new TM to the project
- Export the entire Excel file to the TM
- Rename the source Excel document to something different (e.g. "replacement.xls"
- Import it and pretranslate from the new TM - hopefully this should copy all your work into the new
... See more
Hi.

I recall similar problems but have never yet been wholly unable to export a file.

My suggested workaround:

- Remove all TMs from the project
- Create a new temporary TM
- Attach the new TM to the project
- Export the entire Excel file to the TM
- Rename the source Excel document to something different (e.g. "replacement.xls"
- Import it and pretranslate from the new TM - hopefully this should copy all your work into the new imported file, or nearly (try ctrl+S for any remaining empty segments)
- Attempt a new export.

If this fails, copy each column into a separate text file, import the text files, pretranslate as above column by column and paste them into a new Excel file once exported.

Hope that helps!
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:24
English to Turkish
+ ...
outdated build Jan 13, 2015

I don't know if this relevant but 533 is outdated, latest DVX2 build is 641.

Please check the location of DVXXlsPort.xls (don't know where it is on Win 7), close DVX2 and check if there is a temp file. If there is one, delete it.

I use XP and it is located at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ATRIL\Déjà Vu X2\Macros

Atril_TEAM
Atril_TEAM
France
Outdated build indeed Jan 13, 2015

Hello,

All of the above are good advices.
I would update to build 641 as well.
If the problem persists, please contact us at [email protected] and we'll set up a remote session.

Regards,
Atril Team

Max Hellwig
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
outdated build Jan 13, 2015

I already downloaded the newest version but haven't had the chance to install yet. I also submitted a ticket to the Atril HelpDesk, but haven't gotten any response yet.

[Edited at 2015-01-13 14:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-01-13 14:21 GMT]

Max Hellwig
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
workaround Jan 13, 2015

Thanks for the detailed walkthrough, Eutychus. I opted for what seemed like a less elaborate workaround and just copied and pasted the translated segments into a copy of the original.
I hope the last build will solve the problem though, a workaround is never a permanent solution should the problem arise more often (which I hope it won't).

Atril_TEAM
Atril_TEAM
France
Remote session Jan 13, 2015

Hello Max,

I saw this very post before before the ticket, so i'd rather answer here and close the ticket.
Would you please let me know if installing the latest build solves this? It probably has something to do with your environment so, again, if the above does not help please contact us at [email protected] and we'll schedule a remote session to make sure this does not happen again.

Regards,
Atril Team

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
glad it helped Jan 13, 2015

Max Hellwig wrote:

Thanks for the detailed walkthrough, Eutychus. I opted for what seemed like a less elaborate workaround and just copied and pasted the translated segments into a copy of the original.

It all depends how big your file is...

Max Hellwig
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tiny Jan 13, 2015

Indeed, luckily it just had a little over 100 words...

Max Hellwig
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ticket Jan 13, 2015

Sure, go ahead and close the ticket, like you said, there are good solutions here. I'm going to update after I'm done working for the day (appr. 2h) and let you know tonight or tomorrow.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can't export Excel document in X2 Pro

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »