WFC 5.92m - fuzzy matches - differences not highlighted
Thread poster: Jonathan Dougherty
Jonathan Dougherty
Jonathan Dougherty
Japan
Local time: 02:23
Japanese to English
May 24, 2019

In the Wordfast Classic manual, it says that when using ctrl+alt+m to display the translation memory, it "highlights the differences between the current segment and the one in the TM"
https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Classic_Main_Shortcuts

For some reason, when there is a fuzzy match and the translation memory is displayed, the differences are not hig
... See more
In the Wordfast Classic manual, it says that when using ctrl+alt+m to display the translation memory, it "highlights the differences between the current segment and the one in the TM"
https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Classic_Main_Shortcuts

For some reason, when there is a fuzzy match and the translation memory is displayed, the differences are not highlighted for me, as you can see in the screenshot below. Unfortunately, this renders the tool practically useless for me, as the majority of my segments are very long sentences and I have many fuzzy matches (patents).
Is there a setting I need to fiddle with somewhere to toggle the highlighting feature? I am using Wordfast Classic version 5.92m.

[Edited at 2019-05-24 03:18 GMT]

EDIT:

I tested it using English as the source language and Japanese as the target language, and I get yellow highlights indicating the differences. So I guess Japanese as a source language is not supported for this feature. Bummer. If anyone has any suggestions, or knows if this has changed in newer versions, I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

[Edited at 2019-05-24 03:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-05-24 03:42 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stuff happens May 24, 2019

I use WFC for ES-EN and sometimes it does that - the green or yellow highlghting doesn't appear. It doesn't happen on all documents, just some, and I've always just put it down to a blip or some sort of in compatibility in the source document. For my purposes, it's not a big issue, but I imagine it will be more complicated with a source language like Japanese.

[Edited at 2019-05-24 09:56 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:23
English to French
+ ...
5 is an old version May 24, 2019

Why don't you upgrade to the current version of WfC? Not that it will necessarily solve the problem, but it might and, additionally, several features have been introduced since v. 5.

Jonathan Dougherty
Jonathan Dougherty
Japan
Local time: 02:23
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
When life hands you lemons May 25, 2019

neilmac:
Thanks for letting me know that it doesn't always work, even with other language pairs.

Jean Lachaud:
Good idea. I don't personally own the license, but I'll ask my employer about upgrading.

Since there seems to be no way to remedy the situation within Wordfast, I wrote a janky macro that grabs the text in the WfTMSource and WfSource bookmarks, compares the texts using the Word compare feature, bakes in the revisions, adds some highlights just to m
... See more
neilmac:
Thanks for letting me know that it doesn't always work, even with other language pairs.

Jean Lachaud:
Good idea. I don't personally own the license, but I'll ask my employer about upgrading.

Since there seems to be no way to remedy the situation within Wordfast, I wrote a janky macro that grabs the text in the WfTMSource and WfSource bookmarks, compares the texts using the Word compare feature, bakes in the revisions, adds some highlights just to make it sparkle--because why not--and pastes the result into the WfTMSource so I end up with something like this whenever the TM pops up with a fuzzy match:

Obviously not the best example, but it should be useful with really long segments.

[Edited at 2019-05-25 13:15 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC 5.92m - fuzzy matches - differences not highlighted

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »