Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:57
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 22, 2019

Hi
so I imported and translated an sdlppx file in WFP5.
But I had to realize this is a half-baked feature as no export of an sdlrpx file seems to be possible, only the sdlxliff file can be exported. Is the export of a return package planned?

Maria João Ivo

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Mysterious are the ways of the Lord Mar 22, 2019

It's fancy when people keep cleverly asking why Pepsi is not Coca, why a Lamborghini owner can replace parts from VW, why one can't use a hammer for cutting trees or use a knife instead of a hummer, why they prefer it warmer in winter and colder in summer, or why a private company as Wordfast can't do other proprietary formats from, say, SDL Trados and vice verse.

Wolfgang, as a businessman, you should tell others' marketing from your trade: they mind their biz. Little
... See more
 It's fancy when people keep cleverly asking why Pepsi is not Coca, why a Lamborghini owner can replace parts from VW, why one can't use a hammer for cutting trees or use a knife instead of a hummer, why they prefer it warmer in winter and colder in summer, or why a private company as Wordfast can't do other proprietary formats from, say, SDL Trados and vice verse.

Wolfgang, as a businessman, you should tell others' marketing from your trade: they mind their biz. Little wonder they use proprietary formats just to limit users to a certain product/version, making clientèle 'branding'.

As usually, there're many tricky roundabout ways--unpacking a zipped SDLPPX and processing in Virtaal, different converters, and scripts--just to what, replace Trados while wasting time and hunting possible new errs? Funny.

I would rather (1) ask for TMX/source files, (2) prioritize WF projects, or (3) buy Trados.
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mysterious etc. Mar 22, 2019

Hi DZiW,
I’m afraid you missed the point here. AAMOF WFP does process other proprietary formats and sdl among them. And I have many possibilities to process sdlppx files with at least three software I own (correction: software I licence, not own...). They both import sdlppx files and export sdlrpx files. So here goes my question: why does WFP offer the possibility to *import* (and process quite cleverly,I must say) sdlppx but not to *export* a proper sdlrpx file? It does not make much se
... See more
Hi DZiW,
I’m afraid you missed the point here. AAMOF WFP does process other proprietary formats and sdl among them. And I have many possibilities to process sdlppx files with at least three software I own (correction: software I licence, not own...). They both import sdlppx files and export sdlrpx files. So here goes my question: why does WFP offer the possibility to *import* (and process quite cleverly,I must say) sdlppx but not to *export* a proper sdlrpx file? It does not make much sense, IMHO.

[Edited at 2019-03-23 07:28 GMT]
Collapse

Ragnar Egilsson

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Check this out Mar 23, 2019

https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Translating_SDL_Trados_packages

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Reciprocally Mar 23, 2019

Hello Wolfgang--initially source files are in their proprietary formats--DOC/X, XLS/X, PPS/X, RTF, TXT, PDF, and so on--and opened by corresponding application; why not ask for original files, so you could open them in (almost) ANY tool?

While modern CATs deliberately (jealously) make extra fuss about their own TM/glossary formats, it's very projects specifications what tells one from others. Indeed, naturally most applications are specialized in their native formats only, where
... See more
 Hello Wolfgang--initially source files are in their proprietary formats--DOC/X, XLS/X, PPS/X, RTF, TXT, PDF, and so on--and opened by corresponding application; why not ask for original files, so you could open them in (almost) ANY tool?

While modern CATs deliberately (jealously) make extra fuss about their own TM/glossary formats, it's very projects specifications what tells one from others. Indeed, naturally most applications are specialized in their native formats only, whereas Import (not Export) is a bonus... turning other formats to native ones.

In this case, Wordfast--as a bonus--enables users to open SDL Trados packages, so they can work under a project. Unlike tiny companies and homebrew programmers, such big fish are frenzy on making money, keeping vigilant watch on their competitors to stay (in the same!) biz. That's why adding Export feature to WF would pose the software as 'a Trados surrogate', adding to possible antimonopoly and copyright infringement issues.

Actually, the same goes about Trados/MemoQ/DejaVu/CafeTran/you-name-it exporting to foreign formats--unless the biz rivals came to an agreement.

Shortly, the technical format is quite simple and doable. For instance, some five years ago my client's biz partner hired a freelance programmer to write an application for converting between the formats, but not for mass produce--not on the industrial scale.

Cheers
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Check this out Mar 23, 2019

Hi Jean,
thanks for this valuable piece of information. So the development of sdlrpx format is under way, good to hear.

[Edited at 2019-03-23 16:25 GMT]

SABIHA KADRIBASIC
SABIHA KADRIBASIC  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Help with WF5 Mar 24, 2019

Hello,
I got Trados package and need to import it in WF 5. I cannot not locate the file on my PC, when I click import. No matter where I save it, I cannot locate it. Please note that I am a beginner in using software, so I would appreciate any help. I have checked WF5 instructions and some youtube videos, but no use
Thanks

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sdlppx import Mar 24, 2019

Hi
Did you choose the right import option, that is, import sdlppx package, not import package

SABIHA KADRIBASIC
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnian to English
+ ...
WF5 Mar 24, 2019

Hi
I have tried all options available. The one you mentioned and there is one more available, but no use.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sdlppx import Mar 24, 2019

Are you sure it’s a genuine sdlppx Studio file? And that you have the most recent version of Wordfast? And try to save the file on the desktop, Windows does not like long file paths.

[Edited at 2019-03-24 21:10 GMT]

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Sdl package = renamed Zip file Mar 24, 2019

This is documented in other ProZ forums, and can be resorted-to at a pinch. HTH

With kind regards,

Adam Warren
(IanDhu - translator 41189)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sabiha Mar 25, 2019

SABIHA KADRIBASIC wrote:
I got Trados package and need to import it in WF 5. I cannot not locate the file on my PC, when I click import.

1. It sounds to me that perhaps the package does not have the usual file extension, SDLPPX. There are two types of Trados packages, namely SDLPPX packages and Idiom-based WSXZ packages. WFP5's "Import SDL Package" option restricts the file type to SDLPPX (and SDLRPX, for some reason). So, is the package you're trying to import an SDLPPX file (does it have the file extension .SDLPPX)?

2. Or: is the package file perhaps inside a zip file? Windows can browse ZIP files as if they are folders, but other programs can't. Do you see the package file sitting right there on your desktop (and if so, what is the last 5 letters of the file name)?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Wolfgang Mar 25, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
So here goes my question: why does WFP5 offer the possibility to *import* (and process quite cleverly,I must say) SDLPPX but not to *export* a proper SDLPPX file?

It is not unusual for third-party programs to be able to open or import files of a certain proprietary type, and even edit it, without being about to export or create a new file of the same or related type.

I suspect opening the SDLPPX file was simply simpler for the WFP5 developers to do than creating a new SDPRPX file. As you are aware, opening/importing SDLPPX means basically unzipping it. An SDLRPX file is not, however, simply an SDLPPX file with its files translated and the file extension changed. The file needs other elements to make it a valid SDLRPX file, and perhaps the developers simply did not have enough time to figure out what that was.

I agree that it is annoying to discover that a program has one ability but not the other (more annoying to discover it at the very end of the project).

SABIHA KADRIBASIC
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnian to English
+ ...
WF5 Mar 25, 2019

Thanks Samuel. It is a zip file. After extraction, extension is sdltm. I have cancelled this job now due to deadline. Is this extension the reason for not being able to locate the file? This has happened a couple of times.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
SDLTM Mar 25, 2019

SDLTM is the native format for Trados Studio translation memories.

Information on SDL Trados packages in Wordfast (including SDLTMs) is found in the link I have shared above.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

sdlppx and Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »