Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2019

I've just completed a project for a client who wanted me to use Memsource, but I persuaded them to let me use Wf on condition that I send them my Wf TM.
Unfortunately, I now see that I can only export the *whole* TMX file (which I have built up since about 2008.
One of Wf people has offered guidance but I literally don't understand what they're trying to tell me to do.
Can anyone advise, please? SURELY, there must be a way of exporting a Wf Pro TM to an editable format (eg Wf
... See more
I've just completed a project for a client who wanted me to use Memsource, but I persuaded them to let me use Wf on condition that I send them my Wf TM.
Unfortunately, I now see that I can only export the *whole* TMX file (which I have built up since about 2008.
One of Wf people has offered guidance but I literally don't understand what they're trying to tell me to do.
Can anyone advise, please? SURELY, there must be a way of exporting a Wf Pro TM to an editable format (eg Wf Classic .txt) and simply cut out the TUs that I need so I can send them to the client...?
Why does it have to be so complicated? I am close to giving up with the overly-engineered-but-less-usable Wf Pro and going back to clunky old Wf Classic.
Thanks
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:52
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Would this work Mar 1, 2019

I don't use Wf Pro, but in MemoQ or SDL Trados, I think what I would do is to assign a new, blank TM to the job after it is finished, then confirm all segments to populate the new TM from the completed job. The new TM should then only contain segments from the job which could be exported to TMX.

I imagine this procedure should be possible in Wf Pro.

Kevin Fulton

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for this but it only seemed to have exported 5 TUs Mar 3, 2019

John Fossey wrote:

what I would do is to assign a new, blank TM to the job after it is finished, then confirm all segments to populate the new TM from the completed job. The new TM should then only contain segments from the job which could be exported to TMX.

Many thanks for this John, I tried it but it only seemed to have exported 5 TUs which would seem odd for a 3000-word project! I don't think there is a way of viewing the TM even in Wf Pro itself (is there?). It's all so unfathomably complicated.

Surely I can't be the only person who needs to send the TM to their client, but only the part that applies to a given translation project? Or am I supposed to set up a TM per translation project, which seems clunky and time-consuming to me. Plus: how do I then leverage the hundreds of thousands of TUs from the last 10 years of translating with the now-antiquated Wf Classic?

Wf Pro seems so ridiculously complicated... Would you recommend MemoQ? Maybe I should give it a go.

Thanks again for your advice.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah, I might have found a solution.... Mar 3, 2019

Comunican wrote:
I tried it but it only seemed to have exported 5 TUs which would seem odd for a 3000-word project! I don't think there is a way of viewing the TM even in Wf Pro itself (is there?). Surely I can't be the only person who needs to send the TM to their client, but only the part that applies to a given translation project? Or am I supposed to set up a TM per translation project...?

Ah, I have found a way of viewing the TM (you have to right-click on it and select "Open TM") and it seems now to have exported 445 TUs - even though the sum total of TUs for the 6-file project is 553. So I have no idea what happened to the missing 88 TUs. I just have to hope that the client doesn't realise. And next time, I'll have to use their Memsource CAT system.

It's all very frustrating. And I hope the Wf team are reading this and taking note. If it were me, I'd be grateful for the feedback so I could make my product better. Wf Pro certainly needs significant improvement in terms of usability, clunkiness and stripping out unnecessary complexity.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Comunican Mar 3, 2019

Comunican wrote:
Why does it have to be so complicated? I am close to giving up with the overly-engineered-but-less-usable Wf Pro and going back to clunky old Wf Classic.

1. Are you using WFP3 or WFP5?

2. WfConverter_1_0_11_68 (wordfast.fi is for sale)

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WfPro 5.8.0 Mar 4, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

1. Are you using WFP3 or WFP5?

2. WfConverter_1_0_11_68 (wordfast.fi is for sale)

Hi Samuel, I'm using Wf Pro 5.8.0.
I will take a look at WfConverter, thank you very much.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:52
English to German
+ ...
Export a subset of TM Mar 10, 2019

Hi
I did this once, works more or less like in MemoQ. Open the TM (double click), then in the left pane under TU modification date:
To: enter the end date of the project.
Click on Find
WF5 should then show you a filtered view/subset of your TM.
Hope it works.

Comunican
Diana Coada (X)

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That works! Mar 14, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Hi
I did this once, works more or less like in MemoQ. Open the TM (double click), then in the left pane under TU modification date:
To: enter the end date of the project.
Click on Find
WF5 should then show you a filtered view/subset of your TM.
Hope it works.

Thank you very much Wolfgang Schoene, that works. Very much appreciated!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I export a subset of my TM?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »