Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 5, 2018

Hello

I have a DOC file with some text marked as tw4winInternal and tw4winExernal, which I opened in WFP 3 for conversion to TXML. I had expected the tw4winExternal text to be excluded from the TXML file and I had expected the tw4winInternal text to be treated like tags or placeables. However, WFP3 treats the tw4winInternal text as plain text.

Is there a way to convert such a DOC file to TXML so that the fact that some text is tw4winInternal and tw4winExternal is refl
... See more
Hello

I have a DOC file with some text marked as tw4winInternal and tw4winExernal, which I opened in WFP 3 for conversion to TXML. I had expected the tw4winExternal text to be excluded from the TXML file and I had expected the tw4winInternal text to be treated like tags or placeables. However, WFP3 treats the tw4winInternal text as plain text.

Is there a way to convert such a DOC file to TXML so that the fact that some text is tw4winInternal and tw4winExternal is reflected in the TXML file?

Thanks
Samuel

==
Collapse

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 04:28
Preferences > Filters > Formats Jan 5, 2018

Hi Samuel,

You have to go to Preferences > Filters > Formats and select Default Word Filter or Word 2007 filter for Docx and de-select Ignore bilingual styles. Then open your document again.

Thank you,

John

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello

Is there a way to convert such a DOC file to TXML so that the fact that some text is tw4winInternal and tw4winExternal is reflected in the TXML file?

Thanks
Samuel

==

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed it Jan 6, 2018

Thanks for your input. I tried that but it didn't work.

I solved the problem by selecting all text in the DOC file, and copy/pasting it to a new file and saving it under a new name. WFP3 could not handle the original file, but dealt with the new file perfectly as expected.

[Edited at 2018-01-06 11:21 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More problems Jan 6, 2018

I've completed the translation in TXML format and used WFP3 to generate the translated file, but... to my dismay... WFP3 creates a WFC-style uncleaned file as the "translated" file instead of just a clean translated file. It would seem that WFP3 thinks that if the DOC file contains bilingual styles, then the output file should be a bilingual file.

Fortunately, I was able to use WFC to then "clean" that file, to produce the file that WFP3 should have generated by itself.

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 04:28
Ignore Bilingual styles option Jan 8, 2018

Hi Samuel,

If you want to ignore all the styles then you have to keep that option checked on Default Word Filter and Default Word 2007 filter. Then you need to create new TXML file after the option is changed.

Thank you,

John

Samuel Murray wrote:

I've completed the translation in TXML format and used WFP3 to generate the translated file, but... to my dismay... WFP3 creates a WFC-style uncleaned file as the "translated" file instead of just a clean translated file. It would seem that WFP3 thinks that if the DOC file contains bilingual styles, then the output file should be a bilingual file.

Fortunately, I was able to use WFC to then "clean" that file, to produce the file that WFP3 should have generated by itself.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@John Jan 9, 2018

John Daniel wrote:
If you want to ignore all the styles then you have to keep that option checked on Default Word Filter and Default Word 2007 filter. Then you need to create new TXML file after the option is changed.

Just to clarify: I do want WFP to use those styles, so in other words I do not want WFP to ignore the styles. I simply find it odd that the output file is in uncleaned format even if the input file is not.

Here, I'll explain it with a graphic:

wfp uncleaned

#1 is the source text in DOC. #6 (and #4) is what I want as the translation. #2 is what the text looks like in WFP3. #3 is what the translation looks like in WFP3.

#4 is what I would have expected the final DOC file to look like after it is generated by WFP3. However, for some odd reason WFP3 actually generates #5 (i.e., WFC/TWB-style "uncleaned" format). So then I have to open the DOC file in MS Word and use WFC (or smart Find/Replace) to produce #6, which is what I actually want.

Do you see how it's weird that the final "translated" output format is a different format than the original source format?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make WFP3 interpret tw4winInternal and tw4winExternal correctly

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »