Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Can I open an .sdlppx file with Wordfast?
Thread poster: Armorel Young
Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
German to English
Oct 12, 2012

A client wants to start sending me Trados files, although they know that I work with Wordfast. I keep reading that Trados is supposedly compatible with Wordfast, but I can't find much information about how to actually make that work. Specifically, the client has sent me an .sdlppx file that they want me to open (I have no idea what is in it). Is there any way I can open that without having Trados?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:34
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Just a suggestion Oct 12, 2012

Maybe you could ask the client to send you source files in their native formats? This way you could translate in WF and send them the clean translated files and TMX. Editing could be done in the bilingual review format, so this way all parties would be happy...

Natalia

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Unzip Oct 12, 2012

Hi,

An sdlppx file is a sort of zip file - all you have to do is unzip it but you won't be able to send it as a return package.

HTH,

Bernard

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Can't unzip Oct 12, 2012

Sorry to sound clueless but I can't see how to unzip it. Windows 7 doesn't give me an option to unzip it when I right-click on it (as I think it would if it were a zip file), and I don't have WinZip as a progam (I believe I would have to pay for that). So is there a way to unzip it without paying for software to do the job?

Gerry Vickers

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Download a Trial Version Oct 12, 2012

Download a trial version of Winzip - There's also a free version on their site

[Edited at 2012-10-12 12:54 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:34
Finnish to French
Rename to .zip Oct 12, 2012

Armorel Young wrote:
Sorry to sound clueless but I can't see how to unzip it. Windows 7 doesn't give me an option to unzip it when I right-click on it (as I think it would if it were a zip file), and I don't have WinZip as a progam (I believe I would have to pay for that). So is there a way to unzip it without paying for software to do the job?

I think you can change the extension to .zip, after which it will be recognized as a standard .zip file.
This won't help you much (as a Wordfast user), since you will probably find inside an .sdlxliff file (= equivalent of TXML in the Trados world), which is not supported by Wordfast. Other tools support it, though.

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trying a different tack Oct 12, 2012

I'm not getting anywhere with unzipping the file, so I'll ask a different question. What is this supposed compatibility between Trados and Wordfast about? (It looks as though the client thinks they can send me an .sdlppx file and I can work on it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.) So what should the client be sending me instead?

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dominique was right Oct 12, 2012

Actually I have now managed to open the original file by renaming it as a zip file as Dominique suggested - but (as he predicted) it contains a whole lot of files with the extensions .sdltm, sdltb, .sdlxliff and .sdlproj, none of which I can open.

So I'm still none the wiser as to why Wordfast and Trados are said to be compatible when in practice I can't open the Trados files.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Content of Studio package Oct 12, 2012

Armorel Young wrote:
So what should the client be sending me instead?

As I understand it (I have no personal experience), a typical Studio package (which the zip file you cannot open is) contains the file to be translated (in the .sdlxliff format), a TM to be used (in the .sdltm format) and a termbase to be used (in the MultiTerm format).

As I said, Wordfast doesn't support the .sdlxliff format other than using a generic XLF filter, and it probably won't cut it.

If you don't want to use SDL Trados Studio, I would suggest you consider another tool like memoQ or CafeTran, which both have good support for the .sdlxliff format. You can get a trial version of memoQ that is fully functional for 45 days. The trial version of CafeTran is very limited (only 30 segments or so), but it's very cheap anyway (80 euros). SDL also offers a castrated version of Studio on a subscription basis (about 100 euros per year or so).

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Trados-Wordfast compatibility Oct 12, 2012

Armorel Young wrote:
So I'm still none the wiser as to why Wordfast and Trados are said to be compatible when in practice I can't open the Trados files.

Wordfast is compatible with Trados, up to a point: you can use Wordfast Classic to produce "uncleaned" Word document that - for all practical purposes - are identical to those produced with Trados Workbench. You can use Wordfast Pro to translate TTX files (TagEditor), provided they have been adequately prepared.

However, Wordfast is not compatible with SDL Trados Studio, for the time being. As I said, other tools have a much better compatibility with Studio, though none will reach 100% compatibility. They will do a fine job translating .sdlxliff files, which is probably the most important aspect in practice.

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oct 12, 2012

[Edited at 2012-10-12 14:18 GMT]

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Dominique ... Oct 12, 2012

So the issue seems to hinge on the difference between Trados Workbench and Trados Studio (as I'm not a Trados user, I have no idea what that difference is - they're just names to me). But at least that begins to make things clearer.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Virtaal Oct 12, 2012

Give Virtaal a try:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/virtaal/features

HTH,
Yasmin

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Generic XLIFF support vs. explicit support for SDLXLIFF Oct 13, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
Give Virtaal a try:

Yasmin: I'm sure Virtaal is a fine tool, but does it support SDLXLIFF explicitly, or only as a generic XLIFF file?

The SDLXLIFF format has proprietary extensions to the XLIFF format (which are allowed by the standard). See for instance what Yves Savourel wrote 10 days ago about the 'Locked' status:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/okapitools/message/3285

Some tools have specific filters for SDLXLIFF, see for instance this post about CafeTran.

In memoQ, you can map statuses in the SDLXLIFF file to statuses in memoQ when importing:

Similar mappings are possible when exporting.

An SDLXLIFF processed with such "SDLXLIFF-aware" tools stands a better chance to show up as expected in Studio.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Why not try CafeTran? Oct 14, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Give Virtaal a try:

HTH,
Yasmin

Okay, since Wordfast's own Yasmin advised a third party CAT tool in this Wf forum, I feel free to advise my personal favourite, CafeTran , which does a pretty good job in translating sdlxliff files .

http://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/232549-just_did_my_first_studio_2011_project_with_cafetran:_no_errors.html

Since writing that post, I have translated about 20 projects, totalling about 50,000 words, with no verification errors in Studio 2011. All projects could be opened in Studio successfully and all return packages could be created without a problem.

Hans

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I open an .sdlppx file with Wordfast?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »