Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:11
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Jul 14, 2011

Hi.
I have just recently taken up the challenge of learning CAT tools, and I was wondering if somebody could tell me whether its possible to load multiple TM's into Wordfast Classic, and if so, how to go about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
rich

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:11
Finnish to French
Three categories of TM's: local TM, BTM, VLTM Jul 14, 2011

rich. wrote:
I have just recently taken up the challenge of learning CAT tools, and I was wondering if somebody could tell me whether its possible to load multiple TM's into Wordfast Classic, and if so, how to go about it.

Wordfast Classic can access up to three TM's: 1) a local TM (the one defined as "current TM" under Translation Memory > TM), 2) a BTM (Background TM) and 3) a VLTM (Very Large TM).
The BTM is a local TM that can currently only serve 100% matches. In the latest beta version (6.01p), the BTM can also serve fuzzy matches, like the main TM. The VLTM is a remote TM hosted on Wordfast's own server; it can either be private or public; if it is private, you have the option to share it with selected users who belong to the same workgroup. For more information about the VLTM, see http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=154-23 and http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=183-35
A special command in Pandora's box (TranslationMemoryOrder) lets you define the precedence of the various TM's when the same match percentage is available from several TM's.

If you need to access more TM's, you'll either have to merge them or to use Wordfast Pro.

[Edited at 2011-07-14 06:29 GMT]

Richard Hill
Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dominique. Your answer raised another question... Jul 14, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Wordfast Classic can access up to three TM's: 1) a local TM (the one defined as "current TM" under Translation Memory... [/quote]

Hi Dominuque

Thanks so much for your rapid response. Anyway your answer has cleared things up for me and also raised another question. I seem to remember I can up to 1,000,000 segments in the main TM, so considering I'm still just playing around making small TM's for Wordfast, once I've got a decent collection of small TM's is there a way to merge them into one file?

thanks again

rich

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
The current limit in a Wordfast TM is 500,000 TU's Jul 14, 2011

rich. wrote:
Anyway your answer has cleared things up for me and also raised another question. I seem to remember I can up to 1,000,000 segments in the main TM,

The current limit in a Wordfast TM is approximately 500,000 TU's. If you have just started using translation tools, it will take you years before you reach that limit. And by then, it will have increased: the latest beta version of Wordfast Classic already supports TM's that have 5,000,000 TU's or are 2 GB in size, whichever comes first.

rich. wrote:
so considering I'm still just playing around making small TM's for Wordfast, once I've got a decent collection of small TM's is there a way to merge them into one file?

Sure, there's a Merge command in Wordfast Classic, see http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=161-32

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:11
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Merging many TMs Jul 14, 2011

If you have lots of smaller TMs and want to merge them into one large TM, then it takes a while to merge them one by one.

The solution is to use an old DOS command. Copy the TM files to an empty folder and then open the DOS command prompt window, change to the folder where your files are and use the command "copy *.txt All.txt" to merge all TMs into a file called All.txt.

(If you're not used to using the command prompt, then place the TM files in a folder called "TM" on
... See more
If you have lots of smaller TMs and want to merge them into one large TM, then it takes a while to merge them one by one.

The solution is to use an old DOS command. Copy the TM files to an empty folder and then open the DOS command prompt window, change to the folder where your files are and use the command "copy *.txt All.txt" to merge all TMs into a file called All.txt.

(If you're not used to using the command prompt, then place the TM files in a folder called "TM" on the root on drive C. When the command prompt opens, it will open in your user folder, so type "cd .." and press Return twice to get to the root folder on C, then type "cd TM" and Return to get to the TM folder and finally type "copy *.txt All.txt" and Return to create the file All.txt with all the memory files included.)

Finally, open the memory file in a text editor and search for and delete the header lines from each memory file. Simply search for "%User ID" and delete that line each time (except the first one, of course).

[Edited at 2011-07-14 13:11 GMT]
Collapse

Richard Hill
Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
what a great tip! Jul 14, 2011

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

(If you're not used to using the command prompt, then place the TM files in a folder called "TM" on the root on drive C. When the command prompt opens, it will open in your user folder, so type "cd .." and press Return twice to get to the root folder on C, then type "cd TM" and Return to get to the TM folder and finally type "copy *.txt All.txt" and Return to create the file All.txt with all the memory files included.)

Thanks Ulf.

I am not used to using the command prompt, but I'll be trying your solution lout later today. many thanks.
I see your here in Mexico. I don't suppose you teach Wordfast courses?
saludos

rich.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
No need for the command line, just put all TM's in the same folder Jul 14, 2011

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

You don't have to merge TM's one by one. Just put all TM's to be merged in the same folder. Then select one and answer:

No=Add all files in [folder path]

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
The command line is not necessary Jul 14, 2011

rich. wrote:
I am not used to using the command prompt,

As explained in my other post, the Merge function in Wordfast Classic's data editor will let you do this in a user-friendly way, you don't need to resort to the command line.

Richard Hill
Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Merge function in Wordfast Classic's data editor will let you do this in a user-friendly way Jul 14, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

As explained in my other post, the Merge function in Wordfast Classic's data editor will let you do this in a user-friendly way, you don't need to resort to the command line.

I see! thanks Dominique. Just one question regarding what Ulf says, "delete the header lines from each memory file. Simply search for "%User ID" and delete that line each time (except the first one, of course)"

i.e. If I do as you say and use the Merge function in Wordfast Classic's data editor, is it necessary to "delete the header lines" or does Wordfast take care of that for you?

thanks again.

rich

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
No need to bother with headings if you use the Merge function Jul 14, 2011

rich. wrote:
i.e. If I do as you say and use the Merge function in Wordfast Classic's data editor, is it necessary to "delete the header lines" or does Wordfast take care of that for you?

The Merge function takes care of the nitty-gritty. As I said, it provides a *user-friendly* way to merge TM's. All you have to take care is that the TM's to be merged with the current TM are in the same folder.

Richard Hill
Mexico
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your help Dominique Jul 17, 2011

it's really appreciated.

All the best

rich

Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Local time: 03:11
Dutch to English
+ ...
Edit TM function in WF 8.33 - is it still there? Feb 10, 2021

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I've just upgraded to the latest version of WF (8.33) after about a decade, and find a few functions I was used to in version 5.x have either disappeared or are hidden somewhere deep in the system. I can't find the Edit TM function, for example - can anyone tell me where to find it now pse?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Martin Feb 10, 2021

Martin Purdy wrote:
I've just upgraded to the latest version of WF (8.33) after about a decade, and find a few functions I was used to in version 5.x have either disappeared or are hidden somewhere deep in the system. I can't find the Edit TM function, for example - can anyone tell me where to find it now?

The Data Editor should still be there, according to the user manual:
https://www.wordfast.net/WFC/WFC8_Manual.html

In WFC 6.03t the shortcut for the Data Editor is Ctrl+Alt+Enter, but I'm not sure if that still works in WFC8.

Martin Purdy
Martin Purdy
Local time: 03:11
Dutch to English
+ ...
Found it Feb 10, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

The Data Editor should still be there, according to the user manual:
https://www.wordfast.net/WFC/WFC8_Manual.html

In WFC 6.03t the shortcut for the Data Editor is Ctrl+Alt+Enter, but I'm not sure if that still works in WFC8.

Great, thanks - found it now, and have bookmarked the new manual!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

multiple TM's in Wordfast Classic

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »