Thread poster: Comunican
Pavel Zalutski
Pavel Zalutski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Can't figure it out, help! Oct 18, 2012

The link that Yosmin posted has to deal more with autosuggestions as you type. Great function.

I was wondering more about the situation when you have, for example, a table where everything is numbers. So as you go from row to row, it's numbers and nothing but numbers.

With Replaceables enabled, Wordfast 3 doesn't seem to replace numbers in the correct converted format changing dots to commas and vice versa.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 21:01
English to Arabic
Find-Replace in MS Word Oct 18, 2012

Pavel Zalutski wrote:

I was wondering more about the situation when you have, for example, a table where everything is numbers. So as you go from row to row, it's numbers and nothing but numbers.

With Replaceables enabled, Wordfast 3 doesn't seem to replace numbers in the correct converted format changing dots to commas and vice versa.

Dear Pavel,

In the meanwhile, I suggest that you avoid translating numbers in WFP and just leave them as they are. In the target MS Word file, small 2 Find-Replace formulas (Ctrl+H) should help you replace dots with commas and vice versa.

Assuming that what you have is 888.888.888,44 and you want it to be 888,888,888.44

First step:

Find what: ,([0-9][0-9][!0-9])
Replace with: .\1
Use Wildcards (checked)

Second step:

Find what: ([0-9]).([0-9]{3}[!0-9])
Replace with: \1,\2
Use Wildcards (checked)

----------------------------------------------------------

Assuming that what you have is 888,888,888.44 and you want it to be 888.888.888,44

First step:

Find what: .([0-9][0-9][!0-9])
Replace with: ,\1
Use Wildcards (checked)

Second step:

Find what: ([0-9]),([0-9]{3}[!0-9])
Replace with: \1.\2
Use Wildcards (checked)

HTH,
Yasmin

Pavel Zalutski
Pavel Zalutski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:01
English to Russian
+ ...
In response Oct 21, 2012

Hi Yasmin, I appreciate your help, it's just that I need to deliver in txml format, so I won't get to the MS Word format... I literally keep coming back to this thread for more than a year now. This is being discussed, promised, expected, looked for. I understand software development is a complex process and you're probably trying to make this work. You should know that this is an issue and something that needs to be resolved better sooner than later.

Comunican

Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert
Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
English to German
We are now at 3.4.3 and Wordfast still is terrible und unfriendly with numbers Apr 4, 2015

Dear Yasmin,

I just upgraded. Wordfast tells me "-2.998" is 99% for (2,671), although I have to write the whole number new except the minus sign and the 2. This is really unacceptable, as it gives a completely false picture of matches.

And Wordfast Pro also still do not convey commas in dots on numbers. I often do accounting stuff, and this terribly slows me down. Regrettably I do not have the choice of using a different, or no TM program.

The only thing th
... See more
Dear Yasmin,

I just upgraded. Wordfast tells me "-2.998" is 99% for (2,671), although I have to write the whole number new except the minus sign and the 2. This is really unacceptable, as it gives a completely false picture of matches.

And Wordfast Pro also still do not convey commas in dots on numbers. I often do accounting stuff, and this terribly slows me down. Regrettably I do not have the choice of using a different, or no TM program.

The only thing that is really sterling about Wordfast Pro is the customer service.

Best regards,

Christiane
Collapse

Comunican

Eliezer Birnbaum
Eliezer Birnbaum  Identity Verified
United States
Dutch to English
Looking for help in using Dragon NaturallySpeaking with Wordfast Pro 4 Jun 13, 2016

Am considering buying Wordfast Pro 4 but have been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking to speed up my translations and avoid RSI issues for about 10 years now, and I noticed when trying out the free trial version of Wordfast Pro 4 together with my DNS that some of the most useful commands are not available, for example the select/correct command, the select and cap or all caps command. Does anyone know of any workarounds or tweaks that would make both software tools more compatible with each other?<... See more
Am considering buying Wordfast Pro 4 but have been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking to speed up my translations and avoid RSI issues for about 10 years now, and I noticed when trying out the free trial version of Wordfast Pro 4 together with my DNS that some of the most useful commands are not available, for example the select/correct command, the select and cap or all caps command. Does anyone know of any workarounds or tweaks that would make both software tools more compatible with each other?

Eli Birnbaum
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wordfast not transcribing numbers properly Mar 21, 2019

Has anyone resolved this problem yet?

I have a large document with a lot of tables. The numbers in Wordfast Pro 3.4.14 usually do not transcribe properly. Often commas do not convert into decimal points, and the number is simply wrong.

This actually makes you go slower than if the numbers were simply skipped.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Comunican

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:01
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Joining the chorus of despair Mar 8, 2022

Still looking for a solution to this in 2022. Easy conversion of number formats, please. Or even not easy. Just possible without hacking away at each erroneous space, comma and full stop.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Enable beta conversion Mar 9, 2022

Hello,

You can enable the beta conversion by doing the following:
1. Close Wordfast Pro.
2. Open the config.ini file and scroll to the very bottom.
3. Copy and paste the following string as a new line at the end of the file:
org.gs4tr.editor.featureswitch.apply.numeric.conversion=true
4. Close and save the config.ini file.
5. Start Wordfast Pro.

To find the config.ini file on a Mac, right click on the application, then Show Package Co
... See more
Hello,

1. Close Wordfast Pro.
3. Copy and paste the following string as a new line at the end of the file:
org.gs4tr.editor.featureswitch.apply.numeric.conversion=true
4. Close and save the config.ini file.
5. Start Wordfast Pro.

To find the config.ini file on a Mac, right click on the application, then Show Package Contents. Then go to app > configuration and open the config.ini file with a text editor.

On a PC, the config.ini file is located in C:\Program Files\Wordfast Pro\configuration

Once enabled, you will see the setting under General Preferences > Segment. If you tick the override button, you can customize the settings. Otherwise, there are default settings for each target language.

I am not sure when developers will fully release this. They are waiting for more feedback so if you notice a problem, please submit a feedback report. If you upgrade to a newer version, you need to redo this process to enable the beta feature again.

Best,
John
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Wordfast Users group Mar 9, 2022

This solution was also described in the comments of a post on the Facebook Wordfast Users group. If you haven't joined it, you might find it helpful:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/331346597335652/search/?q=number%20conversion
Kind regards,
John

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where do we find the config.ini file? Mar 9, 2022

John Di Rico wrote:

1. Close Wordfast Pro.

Thanks John. Where do we find the config.ini file please?

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Wordfast Pro Config.ini Mar 10, 2022

Comunican wrote:

John Di Rico wrote:

1. Close Wordfast Pro.

It's all in John's answer:

To find the config.ini file on a Mac, right click on the application, then Show Package Contents. Then go to app > configuration and open the config.ini file with a text editor.

On a PC, the config.ini file is located in C:\Program Files\Wordfast Pro\configuration

Comunican

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SORRY, I didn't see the "See more" drop down. However..... Mar 10, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Comunican wrote:

John Di Rico wrote:

1. Close Wordfast Pro.

It's all in John's answer:

SORRY, I didn't see the "See more" drop down with all that information! Apologies.

However, I am told that I do not have permission to save the changed file. So, unfortunately, there is still no fix for me....

[Edited at 2022-03-10 07:53 GMT]

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
To edit the config file in Windows, run your text editor as admin Mar 10, 2022

Comunican wrote:

However, I am told that I do not have permission to save the changed file. So, unfortunately, there is still no fix for me....

Assuming you are in Windows, you may need to do this: Right-click the icon of your text editor (such as NotePad) in Windows and click on Run as administrator. Then open the config.ini file in that text editor, edit it, and save. The system should allow you to save the file when your text editor is running in the admin mode.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro not transcribing numbers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »