Artemis Darcy
Artemis Darcy
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:31
French to English
+ ...
Feb 19, 2021

Hi,

I'm new to translation and have a few questions about term bases and translation memory. I'm learning Trados on the free trial, doing non commercial projects to practice. I want to upload a term base and translation memory file as if I were working on a real project. My (very green and beginner like) questions are:

1) Is it possible to find free ready made translation memories online? If not, can I download some apps via the Trados app store which can give me MT
... See more
Hi,

I'm new to translation and have a few questions about term bases and translation memory. I'm learning Trados on the free trial, doing non commercial projects to practice. I want to upload a term base and translation memory file as if I were working on a real project. My (very green and beginner like) questions are:

1) Is it possible to find free ready made translation memories online? If not, can I download some apps via the Trados app store which can give me MT suggestions? (When I tried to download some, it led me to a language learning cloud login. I couldn't find a way to sign up, so couldn't download the MT app.)
2) Using Sketch, what's the best way I can create my own term base for a specific industry?
3) What formats does Trados accept term bases and terminology documents in? Is there a most commonly used format in the translation industry?

Thanks in advance,

Artemis
Collapse

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:31
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Some resources Feb 20, 2021

Hi Artemis,

1- https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/language-technologies/dgt-translation-memory?
What you call "apps" are plugins you use with Trados (downloading and double clicking on them will install them). Not sure if any MT plugins offer free trials or if there are free ones; you need to look around at the app store.
2- Have no idea about Sk
... See more
Hi Artemis,

1- https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/language-technologies/dgt-translation-memory?
What you call "apps" are plugins you use with Trados (downloading and double clicking on them will install them). Not sure if any MT plugins offer free trials or if there are free ones; you need to look around at the app store.
2- Have no idea about Sketch. But you can use another very handy utility that allows you to create term bases from various files: http://www.cerebus.de/glossaryconverter/index.html
3- Trados uses its own "sdltb" format for term bases ("TBX" is the "universal" format).
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:31
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TMs and aligning Feb 21, 2021

Artemis Darcy wrote:
2) Using Sketch, what's the best way I can create my own term base for a specific industry?

These are broad questions (as one might justifiably expect from a beginner). What stands out for me is the mention of Sketch. I have never heard of this before. Perhaps there is some confusion here?

I don't know where you can get free translation memories. The EU, certainly, but that's obviously and specifically designed for those translating EU documents. You can create your own by "aligning" two documents, one from the source and one from the target language. Search for posts on "LF Aligner" on this forum. The website is here. It may look intimidating but it works pretty well.

However, generally I find that the best TMs are those created in the course of a project.

Regards,
Dan

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Sketch and building terminology as you go Feb 21, 2021

For questions about Sketch, I think you will have more luck if you contact their support: https://www.sketchengine.co.uk/

As a general advice, I think you should not worry too much about term bases. It is good to include these as part of your translation strategy and workflow, but you can simply build them as you go instead of creating one before hand. In my experience, we tend to overthink t
... See more
For questions about Sketch, I think you will have more luck if you contact their support: https://www.sketchengine.co.uk/

As a general advice, I think you should not worry too much about term bases. It is good to include these as part of your translation strategy and workflow, but you can simply build them as you go instead of creating one before hand. In my experience, we tend to overthink this in the beginning.

You can mostly use monolingual term extraction in Sketch or other tools to find term candidates (based on frequency and other, more language-specific factors) for medium to large projects (it is counter-productive for small ones), while bilingual term extraction could still be useful for a given project where you are provided with a project/client-specific reference TM or for documents you have aligned yourself.

TMs can be used for concordance search, and if any term seems useful, you can add it to the term base.

[Edited at 2021-02-21 11:32 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Sketch to create a term base

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »