Catherine Meunier
Catherine Meunier
France
Local time: 20:18
English to French
+ ...
Feb 13, 2021

Hello everyone,

Is buying the SOStbd database worth it? It is an EN>FR database with almost 3 934 entries.

It costs almost 50 Euros.

If somebody has bought it, it would be great to have your opinion on it. Did you buy the excel format or the SDL one? (It also exist in Déjà Vu format). If you bought the excel format, were you able to upload it without proble
... See more
Hello everyone,

Is buying the SOStbd database worth it? It is an EN>FR database with almost 3 934 entries.

It costs almost 50 Euros.

If somebody has bought it, it would be great to have your opinion on it. Did you buy the excel format or the SDL one? (It also exist in Déjà Vu format). If you bought the excel format, were you able to upload it without problem into Termbase?

See this website: https://cbtranslation.com/outils_SOStdb.html

Thank you
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
No idea Feb 14, 2021

Either you misspelled it...or it is worthless.

Because pretty much all search results for that name point squarely back to this topic on proz.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Broken link Feb 15, 2021

Hi Catherine,

The link you posted seems to be broken. Like Adieu, I could also not find any information or indeed any mention of it via a web search.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Adieu + Marjolein Feb 15, 2021

Not broken for me and I've found some references, one of which under a Proz certified Pro member.

ahartje

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
ProZ certified Feb 15, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

Not broken for me and I've found some references, one of which under a Proz certified Pro member.

...means next to nothing.

It's just a premium account. It's like saying you heard it from a guy with a car wash membership or a gym pass (who MIGHT be right for all we know, but it's certainly not amplifying the reliability of the information by much)

[Edited at 2021-02-15 16:33 GMT]

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Adieu Feb 15, 2021

I'm making no judgements at all, I'm just saying what I found...

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
PROfessional entrepreneurship is just a word Feb 16, 2021

@Adieu & Teresa
No postal address. Only an anonymous who wants cash in advance and not via a normal bank account. On top of everything, 99 % of the information required by law for any commercial website is missing.

@Teresa
FWIW, the correct link is https://cbtranslation.com/outils_SOStdb.html
Occasionally, ProZ' forum software falsifies it in a non-reproducible
... See more
@Adieu & Teresa
No postal address. Only an anonymous who wants cash in advance and not via a normal bank account. On top of everything, 99 % of the information required by law for any commercial website is missing.

@Teresa
FWIW, the correct link is https://cbtranslation.com/outils_SOStdb.html
Occasionally, ProZ' forum software falsifies it in a non-reproducible manner. You can verify this behaviour in the browser's status line.
Collapse

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Rolf Feb 16, 2021

You’re right: the website has no postal address, but it has a phone number and an e-mail address and it’s not exactly anonymous as it’s linked to a Proz member (https://www.proz.com/profile/89321). I don’t know her and I’m not interested at all in the database but let’s give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar…

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Facts are facts, air is air Feb 16, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

let’s give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar…

Ok, please read here what Caesar wants to be given:
https://www.bonnefous.com/en/blog/what-are-the-mandatory-legal-notices-on-the-internet-in-france/

(Excerpt: "penalty of one year’s imprisonment, a fine of €75,000 for individuals and €370,000 for legal entities")

Caroline Bajwel
Caroline Bajwel  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to French
Info about SOStdb Feb 16, 2021

Hi all,
I am indeed the author of SOStdb and I will be happy to answer any question you might have. Please do not hesitate to contact me via my profile.
Kind regards
Caroline

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Back to the original topic: it might be Feb 16, 2021

Judging merely from what I can see in the published image sample, I find that our colleague Caroline Bajwel's idea of offering online her own personal database of translation solutions for the most common problematic terms and expressions encountered during her career, formatted as a CAT termbase, is not such a bad one.
NB: I have no idea if the 3930 entries are as thorough as those shown in the image and, personally, I am not interested in paying for it. But I do not really see why one s
... See more
Judging merely from what I can see in the published image sample, I find that our colleague Caroline Bajwel's idea of offering online her own personal database of translation solutions for the most common problematic terms and expressions encountered during her career, formatted as a CAT termbase, is not such a bad one.
NB: I have no idea if the 3930 entries are as thorough as those shown in the image and, personally, I am not interested in paying for it. But I do not really see why one should dismiss it on the basis of possible legal compliance problems.
If your target language is French and you find yourself spending too much time looking for more appropriate and varied translations of common English expressions while working on your translations, I can see why you are considering it. In such cases, this might be an even more efficient choice than some mammoth tdbs widely commercialized elsewhere in all forms (e.g. IATE downloaded extracts).

(PS I see now that the author posted in here while I was composing my reply. By naming her in my post, I just wanted to make it clear that her web page was clearly not trying to conceal her name.)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the database SOStdb worth it?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »