Client has asked for a glossary - what should I include?
Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2020

Hi all
For the first time in all my years translating, a client has asked for a glossary for a test translation I am doing for them. I've never been asked for one before and am not sure what I should include. How do I decide which terms to include and which not to include? What is the client likely to want the glossary for?
Any guidance much appreciated.
Many thanks

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Simple Nov 25, 2020

Comunican wrote:

Hi all
For the first time in all my years translating, a client has asked for a glossary for a test translation I am doing for them. I've never been asked for one before and am not sure what I should include. How do I decide which terms to include and which not to include? What is the client likely to want the glossary for?
Many thanks

I did one of these very recently.
It's up to you to decide which terms to include in it. I included only the most problematic words, or particular terms that occurred frequently.
A simple 2-column Excel file will do, with the source language in the left-hand column and the target terms in the right-hand column.
It's easiest to compile the glossary as you go, adding each term to the glossary as you come across it.
As to what the glossary is for: it's possible that your client wants to exploit you by then passing on the glossary to help another translator. Decide for yourself what you want to do about that!

[Edited at 2020-11-25 16:37 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Morano El-Kholy
Philippe Etienne
Elena Aclasto
neilmac
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Samara Serralheiro

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tom in London! Nov 25, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Comunican wrote:

Hi all
Many thanks

I did one of these very recently.
It's up to you to decide which terms to include in it. I included only the most problematic words, or particular terms that occurred frequently.
A simple 2-column Excel file will do, with the source language in the left-hand column and the target terms in the right-hand column.
It's easiest to compile the glossary as you go, adding each term to the glossary as you come across it.
As to what the glossary is for: it's possible that your client wants to exploit you by then passing on the glossary to help another translator. Decide for yourself what you want to do about that!

[Edited at 2020-11-25 16:14 GMT]

When you say "problematic", what do you mean? I guess if I wanted to show what a brilliant translator I am, I wouldn't include any terms because none would be problematic for me LOL

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Problematic Nov 25, 2020

I meant problematic for them.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:57
English to Arabic
+ ...
Make sure to charge an additional fee for the glossary! Nov 25, 2020

Domain-specific term/expression, acronym, abbreviation, pun, word-play, portmanteau/blend, etc.

Practically, every word you DON'T consider easy!

Victoria Britten

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why don't they do it? Nov 25, 2020

Elaborating on Tom's last point in his "Simple" post (that's not a double meaning, Tom, by the way).

They can do it themselves after you've given them the test translation, surely. Ah, but of course, that would take up some of their time.

Eventually, after X translators have contributed to this glossary, they can just give any future stuff to a fourth-former using a machine and pay him enough to keep him in fags and Newkie Brown for a week or so.

[Edited at 2020-
... See more
Elaborating on Tom's last point in his "Simple" post (that's not a double meaning, Tom, by the way).

They can do it themselves after you've given them the test translation, surely. Ah, but of course, that would take up some of their time.

Eventually, after X translators have contributed to this glossary, they can just give any future stuff to a fourth-former using a machine and pay him enough to keep him in fags and Newkie Brown for a week or so.

[Edited at 2020-11-25 17:37 GMT]

Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Victoria Britten
neilmac

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:57
German to English
+ ...
I've never been asked for a glossary for a test, either Nov 25, 2020

Comunican wrote:

Hi all
Many thanks

It's not clear to me who is requesting the glossary, so I would first want to know the answer to that unless this is simply a potential new client for you who is testing you as a potential supplier. Or is this client an entity you already work with that needs it for acquisition of a new client for them with you as their model translator? If the former, I would certainly want to know what it's for and what exactly they want, since it would be my work I'm handing over to them. If the latter, they had better be willing to pay for it. Secondly, if it is a free test - which I generally don't mind doing as long as they are limited to 250-300 words - I would draw the line at additional unpaid glossary work for a client I don't already work with on a regular basis. It feels like exploitation to me, and I would insist on some kind of extra fee for it. After all, it's time spent that could be used doing actual paid work, right? Not everyone feels that way, of course, but I thought a different take might be worth considering, even if you don't ultimately agree.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, thanks Nov 26, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

I meant problematic for them.

OK, thanks!

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK thank you Nov 26, 2020

Sadek_A wrote:

Domain-specific term/expression, acronym, abbreviation, pun, word-play, portmanteau/blend, etc.

Practically, every word you DON'T consider easy!

OK, thank you very much for the advice!

Sadek_A

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hopefully not! Nov 26, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Hopefully that is not their evil plan!

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's a test for a prospective client Nov 26, 2020

Woodstock wrote:

It's not clear to me who is requesting the glossary, so I would first want to know the answer to that unless this is simply a potential new client for you who is testing you as a potential supplier. Or is this client an entity you already work with that needs it for acquisition of a new client for them with you as their model translator? If the former, I would certainly want to know what it's for and what exactly they want, since it would be my work I'm handing over to them. If the latter, they had better be willing to pay for it. Secondly, if it is a free test - which I generally don't mind doing as long as they are limited to 250-300 words - I would draw the line at additional unpaid glossary work for a client I don't already work with on a regular basis. It feels like exploitation to me, and I would insist on some kind of extra fee for it. After all, it's time spent that could be used doing actual paid work, right? Not everyone feels that way, of course, but I thought a different take might be worth considering, even if you don't ultimately agree.

Potentially a lot of work over time, so worth me doing, and it is paid. Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client has asked for a glossary - what should I include?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »