Thread poster: Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 11, 2019

To celebrate International Translation Day 2019, ProZ.com will feature a session entitled "Bridging the Gap: How Translation Schools Can Produce Industry-Ready Translators." To enhance the presenter team's understanding of this matter, we're asking for opinions on various aspects of translation curricula.

If interested in providing input, please complete the short survey (less than 10
... See more
To celebrate International Translation Day 2019, ProZ.com will feature a session entitled "Bridging the Gap: How Translation Schools Can Produce Industry-Ready Translators." To enhance the presenter team's understanding of this matter, we're asking for opinions on various aspects of translation curricula.

If interested in providing input, please complete the short survey (less than 10 minutes) at - http://proz.me/BridgeGap

ProZ.com's 2019 International Translation Day event October 1-3rd is FREE to attend. View the full program at - https://www.proz.com/tv/ITD2019

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

reem Hasoneh (X)

reem Hasoneh (X)
reem Hasoneh (X)
Switzerland
Local time: 16:34
Arabic to English
+ ...
Great minds think alike Oct 3, 2019

Drew and Proz team ... great effort!

Just submitted a post on this same subject. I do believe that there should be communication and collaboration between key stakeholders in translation industry. Easily proposed ... to implement might take some serious efforts and this is the beginning.

Sadly I missed the survey, put here is my input:

I think the time for paper and pencil is way behind us. CAT tools should be taught first and used as obligatory mean to
... See more
Drew and Proz team ... great effort!

Just submitted a post on this same subject. I do believe that there should be communication and collaboration between key stakeholders in translation industry. Easily proposed ... to implement might take some serious efforts and this is the beginning.

Sadly I missed the survey, put here is my input:

I think the time for paper and pencil is way behind us. CAT tools should be taught first and used as obligatory mean to teach all translation courses. "les devoirs'" should be submitted to students through a CAT tool project. Students should learn about and encouraged to use industry best practices in all their translation assignments. In simple, a good percentage of the translation university programs should reflect the real translation world.

All the best!

[Edited at 2019-10-03 07:36 GMT]
Collapse

reem Hasoneh (X)
reem Hasoneh (X)
Switzerland
Local time: 16:34
Arabic to English
+ ...
A question on Proz forum can be helpful here Oct 3, 2019

I have just read this post:

https://www.proz.com/forum/proofreading_editing_reviewing/274400-difference_between_"editing"_"proofreading"and_"reviewing".html

Don’t you think the answer to this question should be part on a university curriculum?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Towards the Ideal University Translation Curriculum - Survey input desired

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »