msoutopico  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 17:05
English to Galician
+ ...
Aug 16, 2018

Dear all,

I have the following behaviour:

The source segment in French contains term "garnitures" and the validated dictionaries assigned to the project include term "garniture", but the terminology window does not display those entries.

If I modify the source segment in the *.FRA file changing the term to "garniture", then the relevant entries appear in the terminology window.

I have the following settings. In User Preferences > Terminology
... See more
Dear all,

I have the following behaviour:

The source segment in French contains term "garnitures" and the validated dictionaries assigned to the project include term "garniture", but the terminology window does not display those entries.

If I modify the source segment in the *.FRA file changing the term to "garniture", then the relevant entries appear in the terminology window.

I have the following settings. In User Preferences > Terminology Search, the option "Morphology-based" is checked. My Transit NXT version is 4.0 SP 9 Build 1632.25.

Is this a bug or is there some setting that is not correctly configured? Thanks.

Cheers, Manuel
Collapse

Strange -- works fine here... Aug 16, 2018

Hi Manuel,

I just build the same scenario and the terminology displayed the entry correctly (with both SP9 and SP10).
So it's obviously not a bug, but something different.

One idea: Did you just turn on "morpho search" in the preferences? If so, save the project and reopen it again.
In some cases, changed terminology search settings apply for projects you open *after* changing the settings.

If that does not help: Can you tell us if morpho does n
... See more
Hi Manuel,

I just build the same scenario and the terminology displayed the entry correctly (with both SP9 and SP10).
So it's obviously not a bug, but something different.

One idea: Did you just turn on "morpho search" in the preferences? If so, save the project and reopen it again.
In some cases, changed terminology search settings apply for projects you open *after* changing the settings.

If that does not help: Can you tell us if morpho does not work in general or is it a special "garniture" problem?

Regards,

O.N.
Collapse

msoutopico
Ireland
English to Galician
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still not working Aug 20, 2018

Hi Black Bird,

Thanks for your help.

I followed your suggestion, but to no avail.

The morphology-based search seems to work for other terms.

Cheers, Manuel

More guesses Aug 21, 2018

Good morning Manuel,

Do I get it right: The morphological search works in general, except for "garnitures"? Very strange...

What happens
- if you enter a new dicitonary entry with "garniture" and its translation?
- if you enter a new dicitonary entry with "garnitures" and its translation?

Best regards,

O.N.

msoutopico
Ireland
English to Galician
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exact form match masks lemma-based matches Aug 29, 2018

Hello,

Just for the record, after a bit of testing and some help from STAR's support, this is what seems to happen, or rather, this is what I do to reproduce the issue:

I create two new entries in my termstar dictionary:
[A] opération -> operación SINGULAR
[B] opérations -> operaciones PLURAL

It seems the literal match of the term in plural form (in plural both in the dictionary --entry B-- and in the translation) masks/prevents the lemma-ba
... See more
Hello,

Just for the record, after a bit of testing and some help from STAR's support, this is what seems to happen, or rather, this is what I do to reproduce the issue:

I create two new entries in my termstar dictionary:
[A] opération -> operación SINGULAR
[B] opérations -> operaciones PLURAL

It seems the literal match of the term in plural form (in plural both in the dictionary --entry B-- and in the translation) masks/prevents the lemma-based match (lemma in the dictionary in entry A inflected form in the translation).

If the term appears in singular in the text (i.e. "opération"), there's a match with entry [A] above. If the term appears in plural in the text (i.e. "opérations"), there's a match with entry [B] above, but not with entry [A]. My expected behaviour in the latter case would be to see both entries.

In other words, the dictionary form of the source term (in the singular) is only matched when the term is used in the singular in the text. The dictionary form (singular lemma) of the term is NOT matched when the term is used in the plural in the text IF there is another dictionary entry where the source term is also in the plural form.

Cheers, Manuel
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Morphology-based terminology search does not work for French

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »