Termstar (Transit NXT Pro) does not display all terms.
Thread poster: Campman
Campman
Campman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:06
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 12, 2018

Termstar becomes less and less reliable. When I look up a term in Termstar, it does not find all the terms I know that are in the dictionary/dictonaries.

It happens so often that Termstar does not find a term while it exist in the dictionary, that I stopped searching by just typing the term, I always look up terms by typing the term between *stars*, so using wildcards.

I know this is an persistent problem, I've read other users complaining about it years ago. Perhaps a
... See more
Termstar becomes less and less reliable. When I look up a term in Termstar, it does not find all the terms I know that are in the dictionary/dictonaries.

It happens so often that Termstar does not find a term while it exist in the dictionary, that I stopped searching by just typing the term, I always look up terms by typing the term between *stars*, so using wildcards.

I know this is an persistent problem, I've read other users complaining about it years ago. Perhaps anyone found a solution for this by now?
Collapse

Campman
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update: Error message from SQL Server ODBC May 19, 2018

Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect checksum (expected: 0xa999b0c0; actual:0xa899b0c0_. It occurred during a read of page (xxx) in database ID 20 at offset 0x0000016f0000 in file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server'MSSQL10_50.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA/xxxx.mdf.
This is a severe error condition that threatens database condition and must be corrected immediately.

Campman
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Random display of "lookalike" terms from Termstar, but not the term that matches 100% May 23, 2018

Transit NXT seems to select by itself, based on criteria that do not make any (linguistical) sense, which terms to display in the right-hand "terminology" window in the Transit window. The 90% matching term is displayed, the 1-on-1 term (100% match) is not displayed.

For instance: both terms "verbinding" and "binding" exist, with translation, in the Termstar dictionary.
The segment to be translated contains the term "verbinding". Right-hand Termstar window only displays the t
... See more
Transit NXT seems to select by itself, based on criteria that do not make any (linguistical) sense, which terms to display in the right-hand "terminology" window in the Transit window. The 90% matching term is displayed, the 1-on-1 term (100% match) is not displayed.

For instance: both terms "verbinding" and "binding" exist, with translation, in the Termstar dictionary.
The segment to be translated contains the term "verbinding". Right-hand Termstar window only displays the term "binding".

Even worse: for "unlikely" Termstar gives a match with the term "likely" - 2 characters less, while the dictionary also contains the term "unlikely". The 2 characters ("un") determine the essential difference between terms with opposite meaning, yes and no. Very annoying....

Is there a way to switch off this peculiar selection method by Transit, where terms are displayed that do not entirely match, while 100% matching terms are ignored?

[Edited at 2018-05-23 10:45 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Settings May 23, 2018

What are you settings for the Search type?

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 12.59.32

Campman
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Morphology based terminology search May 23, 2018

Oh.. a reply! Thanks Hans The answer is in the title - morphology search.
Morphology based terminology search would be nice if it worked properly/ if it would make any sense, linguistically (sometimes it does, most of the times it doesn't make sense).

Another example of this afternoon (I started counting characters):

"versleutelde" gives the match "sleutel", where there is also a entry "versleuteld"
... See more
Oh.. a reply! Thanks Hans The answer is in the title - morphology search.
Morphology based terminology search would be nice if it worked properly/ if it would make any sense, linguistically (sometimes it does, most of the times it doesn't make sense).

Another example of this afternoon (I started counting characters):

"versleutelde" gives the match "sleutel", where there is also a entry "versleuteld".

Only if I add a sub-entry "versleutelde" to the entry "versleuteld" (with only one character added, the "e"), Termstar reproduces the match, instead of matching with "sleutel" (sleutel - versleutelde is a 7 out of 12 characters match, where versleutelde - versleuteld is a 11 out of 12 characters match).

It seems that if the term in the text has MORE characters than the entry in Termstar, Termstar ignores it, even if the difference is only one character.
It seems that Transit only finds matches in Termstar with LESS characters than the term in the text.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Useless May 24, 2018

Campman wrote:

"versleutelde" gives the match "sleutel", where there is also a entry "versleuteld".

This is indeed useless. I turned it of after a couple of hours and started adding all inflected forms too. With Exact matches only enabled.

On a side note: I think that my current CAT tool–which uses Hunspell for morphology based terminology search–does a better job here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termstar (Transit NXT Pro) does not display all terms.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »