Thread poster: Magnus Stanke
Magnus Stanke
Magnus Stanke  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Jan 21, 2020

Hello,
I've been creating and translating subs on a professional basis for some time but I'm just starting out to work on a freelance basis, and I have a few questions.
I understand that many people ask about what to charge as that is one of the first question the vendors pose, but I've read through past replies and I will interpret an answer from that to the best of my abilites.

However, I'm still unsure about this (and if I've overlooked answers to these elsewhere in t
... See more
Hello,
I've been creating and translating subs on a professional basis for some time but I'm just starting out to work on a freelance basis, and I have a few questions.
I understand that many people ask about what to charge as that is one of the first question the vendors pose, but I've read through past replies and I will interpret an answer from that to the best of my abilites.

However, I'm still unsure about this (and if I've overlooked answers to these elsewhere in the forum, I apologise):
- whatever the rate per minute is, 4€ (hopefully not) or 15€ (that's more like it, I know), does it include VAT? Say I did at 10 minute film at 10€ per minute, would the invoice read €100 + VAT? Also, here in Spain the tax is 21%, but if the vendor is in a different country, EU or elsewhere, does the local VAT apply or the rate in the country where I have to declare my income?
- Netflix tables say something about (I paraphrase) paying USD12 per minute for subs in most European languages - is that what they're paying vendors or is that what I could expect to be paid by the vendor if they work on behalf on Netflix?
- lastly, is Subtitle Edit recommended for Netflix standard subs? I'm asking because of their regulations concerned scene changes; as far as I know Subtitle Edit doesn't support advancing frame-by-frame in order to ascertain that the correct number of frames appear before/after a SC. Am I wrong?

Many, many thanks. I'm much obliged for your time and help
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Magnus Jan 21, 2020

Magnus Stanke wrote:
Whatever the rate per minute is, ... does it include VAT?

This depends on your country's laws. Spain's VAT laws are a bit more special than those of the rest of the EU, so you'll need to consult an accountant. Make sure the accountant is aware that there exists a world outside the borders of the EU or indeed outside of Spain (some accountants are surprised to discover this).

Then, whether the client *knows* that VAT is payable or not depends on the client. It's best to always say "plus VAT" or "including VAT" when you mention your quote for a client that would be subject to VAT (based on what your accountant tells you), to avoid misunderstanding. Even in Spain there may be clients who believe that your (or their) rate always includes VAT.

Is Subtitle Edit recommended for Netflix standard subs? I'm asking because of their regulations concerned scene changes; as far as I know Subtitle Edit doesn't support advancing frame-by-frame in order to ascertain that the correct number of frames appear before/after a SC. Am I wrong?

You should ask this question as a separate topic, with a descriptive subject line, to get the best answers.

Magnus Stanke
Magnus Stanke  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@samuel Jan 21, 2020

Thanks for your fast reply. And thanks for the heads-up re the sub question of the query.
My Spanish accoutant actually did tell me about VAT, and a Spanish vendor I've been working with assured me the rates were 'plus VAT', hence my question.
So, I'll make sure to include this in future correspondence, if that's the industry standard.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT question and more

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »