Thread poster: Lauren Barrett
Lauren Barrett
Lauren Barrett
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:42
Japanese to English
Feb 27, 2018

Hi everyone,

So I'm doing a subtitling dissertation, but I have no idea what a legitimate brief would be! Our course never required one until now and my lecturer is away on research leave at the moment.

My source text is a Japanese period/action/comedy, Neko Ninja, and so far I have:

CLIENT:
- Amazon Prime - looking to expand their library of Japanese dramas following positive feedback from a string of other Asian drama releases.

TARGET
... See more
Hi everyone,

So I'm doing a subtitling dissertation, but I have no idea what a legitimate brief would be! Our course never required one until now and my lecturer is away on research leave at the moment.

My source text is a Japanese period/action/comedy, Neko Ninja, and so far I have:

CLIENT:
- Amazon Prime - looking to expand their library of Japanese dramas following positive feedback from a string of other Asian drama releases.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
- Accessible to watch at any time of day and the drama is to be aimed at anyone interested in learning about Japanese culture. Also includes those who may not have in-depth knowledge about Japanese culture, but who may be attracted by the ninja aspect of the plot.

TEXT FUNCTION:
- The light-hearted storyline also means that the primary function of the target text is to engage and entertain its viewers, and should therefore aim to retain comedic elements.

FORMAT/SUBTITLE FEATURES:
- Although the predecessor to this series, Samurai Cat (2014), was commercially released on DVD with English subtitles, this series will only be available for streaming online via Amazon Prime in order to achieve a more cost-effective solution to reaching an international audience. Despite this, the subtitles should still aim to follow industry standard guidelines.

Does this sound plausible? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling Brief advice!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »