A worldwide method for new translators to get their work noticed: Translate on YouTube
Thread poster: Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:23
English to French
+ ...
Jan 22, 2018

It seems ever harder for new translators to get some recognition and getting people to see their abilities. Here is an option that can help many.
On YouTube, people watch 1 billion hours of videos daily and YouTube can be accessed in 76 different languages.
That sounds like something that could interest translators. As a matter of fact, professional translation agencies are on YouTube to translate content for work (some big names).

But you can also translate to get notic
... See more
It seems ever harder for new translators to get some recognition and getting people to see their abilities. Here is an option that can help many.
On YouTube, people watch 1 billion hours of videos daily and YouTube can be accessed in 76 different languages.
That sounds like something that could interest translators. As a matter of fact, professional translation agencies are on YouTube to translate content for work (some big names).

But you can also translate to get noticed, let me explain:

When someone uploads a video to YouTube, the video can be made available for people to contribute translation. This means that translators who want to work on translating the video can access it and start translating.
Once their translation is made available, the translator’s name on YouTube will appear in the video description. This reference, being public, you can copy-paste URLs from the videos you translated to your CV or in your ProZ.com profile. This should also make your name pop-up more frequently on Google search.

This translation work will be done for free, but the recognition of that work will be easily accessed by agencies and clients. Indeed, if you apply for a subtitling (and/or Closed Captions) job posted on ProZ.com by one of the agencies working on YouTube professionally, this will be a very strong point on your application for the job!!!
Collapse

Matheus Santos

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to get started? Jan 22, 2018

First, you need to create a YouTube channel. If you already have a Google account, just go to youtube.com, sign in with your google credentials, set up the name and art work and you’re good to go. Full method here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1646861?hl=en

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to translate? Jan 22, 2018

How to translate?
First go ta a video, click on the three buttons and click on add translations.

Then you can start from there translating the Title and the video description.

If you click on the Subti
... See more
How to translate?
First go ta a video, click on the three buttons and click on add translations.

Then you can start from there translating the Title and the video description.

If you click on the Subtitles/CCs tab, this will open the section where you can translate each section of the video. You can just fill in the text.

Don’t forget to tick the box to get credit!!!

Once that’s done, your translation will be reviewed and then published. (here is an example of a video already translated waiting for approval: https://youtu.be/X_tYrnv_o6A

[Modifié le 2018-01-22 11:39 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What to translate? Jan 22, 2018

Choose within your fields of expertise, that would make sense. Aim for videos that look professional.

I have a YouTube channel of my own where I publish many tips for translators. It’s not opened for translation at present, but if I get enough dedicated translators interested, I will accept translations then, just let me know.

My channel: Fi2Pro https://www.youtube.com/fi2pro
... See more
Choose within your fields of expertise, that would make sense. Aim for videos that look professional.

I have a YouTube channel of my own where I publish many tips for translators. It’s not opened for translation at present, but if I get enough dedicated translators interested, I will accept translations then, just let me know.

My channel: Fi2Pro https://www.youtube.com/fi2pro

Hope you'll find this helpful!!
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Screenshots Jan 22, 2018

Good news, i finally managed to embed the screenshots in the how to translate post. Enjoy.

[Modifié le 2018-01-22 11:40 GMT]

DarwinE
DarwinE  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Awesome! Jan 22, 2018

Thanks for the tip! Was not aware some videos had this feature.

Are translations peer-reviewed before publication? I have done subtitles for TEDTalks using the Amara web platform. However, only one of my videos has been reviewed with my subtitles published. Two of the videos I did last year are still pending review as far as I know.

EDIT: Woops, I must have glossed over the paragraph where you clearly stated these videos are reviewed. It's Monday morning ya know.... See more

Are translations peer-reviewed before publication? I have done subtitles for TEDTalks using the Amara web platform. However, only one of my videos has been reviewed with my subtitles published. Two of the videos I did last year are still pending review as far as I know.

EDIT: Woops, I must have glossed over the paragraph where you clearly stated these videos are reviewed. It's Monday morning ya know.

[Edited at 2018-01-22 16:18 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translations pending review Jan 22, 2018

DarwinE wrote:

EDIT: Woops, I must have glossed over the paragraph where you clearly stated these videos are reviewed. It's Monday morning ya know.

[Edited at 2018-01-22 16:18 GMT]

Thank you very much for this reply DarwinE!

Yes translations of videos on YouTube await editing/proofing when they are submitted by the community.
If you see that your translations take a long time to be approved, you should still be able do two things:
1/If you have a colleague that works in the same language pair and field (TEDTalks cover a lot of nice topics!), help this person to start contributing on YouTube and get them to check the translation (if I remember correctly, in the old format it took more that one reviewer to approve/edit a translation before it was published).
2/Contact directly the owner/poster of the video. If they understand the target language, they should be able to approve directly of the translation.

Hope this helps!

My bests

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transcribing the audio Jan 22, 2018

I had some questions about this in direct messages:

YouTube engine should provide a robot-made transcription of the audio in english (if the original audio is in english)
If you need the source, that's very useful.
The robot makes some mistakes, but it's usually close enough.

Thanasis Zantrimas
Thanasis Zantrimas
Greece
Local time: 05:23
Amara subs Mar 23, 2018

Well, I'm a member of Amara Project too for the ARTE & TED channel respectively. The thing is, that I don't translate videos from YouTube, but I hope to get attention from there.

Hicham Eljarrari

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally lauched! May 14, 2018

Thanassis Zadrimas wrote:

Well, I'm a member of Amara Project too for the ARTE & TED channel respectively. The thing is, that I don't translate videos from YouTube, but I hope to get attention from there.

Hello Thanassis,

Thanks for your comment. This is an interesting platform indeed.
I finally got around to release a tutorial video on how to do this. You can check it out here:
https://youtu.be/Q7nyep6w9mE

I hope this will be helpful.

My bests

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quick tip: be careful with the use of the return key May 15, 2018

Hi to all,

Just a quick tip here (I can't address everything in a single video, or it will last for an hour... ).
While subtitling, if you press the Return (Enter) key, this will add a closed caption in the time stamping.
If that happens you can delete it by clicking on the "X". You can also edit the timing directly by clicking on it and typing your new numbers.

Hope this helps.

My
... See more
Hi to all,

Just a quick tip here (I can't address everything in a single video, or it will last for an hour... ).
While subtitling, if you press the Return (Enter) key, this will add a closed caption in the time stamping.
If that happens you can delete it by clicking on the "X". You can also edit the timing directly by clicking on it and typing your new numbers.

Hope this helps.

My bests
Collapse

Thanasis Zantrimas
Thanasis Zantrimas
Greece
Local time: 05:23
Communicate/respond Sep 2, 2018

Okay. It may sound like a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway.
How do you think they are going to reach me if they see my contribution? Suppose you are the one that I've got your attention. Are you going to leave me a message through my channel?

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In the video Sep 4, 2018

Thanassis Zadrimas wrote:

Okay. It may sound like a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway.
How do you think they are going to reach me if they see my contribution? Suppose you are the one that I've got your attention. Are you going to leave me a message through my channel?

Hello Thanassis,

Thank you for asking this. I actually describe how at the end of the video. I show one way, but they may be others.

My bests

Alex BON
Alex BON
United States
Local time: 21:23
English
What a insightful suggestion! good idea Oct 8, 2023

That's a brilliant idea! Leveraging YouTube as a platform for translators to showcase their skills is a brilliant idea, and your detailed explanation makes it even more compelling.

YouTube's vast reach, with 1 billion hours of daily video consumption in 76 different languages, provides an excellent opportunity for translators to gain recognition. The notion of contributing translations to videos and having your name featured in the video description is a clever way to build visibili
... See more
That's a brilliant idea! Leveraging YouTube as a platform for translators to showcase their skills is a brilliant idea, and your detailed explanation makes it even more compelling.

YouTube's vast reach, with 1 billion hours of daily video consumption in 76 different languages, provides an excellent opportunity for translators to gain recognition. The notion of contributing translations to videos and having your name featured in the video description is a clever way to build visibility.

Highlighting the public nature of this recognition is crucial, as it allows translators to seamlessly integrate their work into professional profiles. The suggestion to include translated video URLs in CVs or on ProZ.com profiles is a practical and actionable step that can significantly enhance a translator's online presence.

Moreover, emphasizing that this translation work is a powerful addition to job applications, particularly for subtitling and closed captions positions on platforms like ProZ.com, adds a strategic layer to the proposal. The idea that agencies working professionally on YouTube may value and recognize this experience is a key selling point for aspiring translators.

While the work itself may be done pro bono, the potential for long-term benefits, such as increased visibility, recognition, and enhanced job prospects, makes this approach a worthwhile investment for translators looking to establish themselves in the field.

In addition, translators can use automatic video translation tools, which will make their task easier by streamlining the translation process and increasing efficiency. These tools leverage advanced algorithms to swiftly generate translations, allowing translators to focus on refining and enhancing the nuanced aspects of language rather than starting from scratch. However, it's crucial for translators to exercise a discerning eye and ensure the accuracy and cultural appropriateness of the automated translations, as human touch remains indispensable in delivering high-quality and contextually relevant content. Integrating these tools into their workflow can significantly boost productivity, making the overall translation experience more seamless and time-effective.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:23
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
ChatGPT-generated spam again? Oct 9, 2023

Alex BON wrote:

Stuff

Back with a new name?

https://www2.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/338165-what_is_the_best_way_to_translate_a_pdf_document.html

[Edited at 2023-10-09 02:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A worldwide method for new translators to get their work noticed: Translate on YouTube

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »