Thread poster: golf264
golf264
golf264  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:46
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 21, 2017

I agreed to do this 'subtitling' project, so the rates I offered were per minute. They were also on the low end, as it one of my first subtitling projects ever. The client agreed with my quote, and now the project has started.

The subtitling project is however seeming more and more like a normal translation. The person sent me a script with the text in the source language on one side, and the empty boxes for translation into the target language on the right. I had also asked for a m
... See more
I agreed to do this 'subtitling' project, so the rates I offered were per minute. They were also on the low end, as it one of my first subtitling projects ever. The client agreed with my quote, and now the project has started.

The subtitling project is however seeming more and more like a normal translation. The person sent me a script with the text in the source language on one side, and the empty boxes for translation into the target language on the right. I had also asked for a media file so I can see what the context is for the words. But the client has not sent it until now.

I am wondering if this is not deliberate on their part in order to pay out the least possible amount. Because if I have the video file, then I can see that what the total amount of minutes is. I am starting to regret that I did not ask for a higher rate.

Or should I not concerned about anything and are these standard practices with subtitling?
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
You've seen nothing yet Dec 21, 2017

A client calls me:
"I have a video in English, and I need it transcribed. Can you do it?"
"Yes, sir."
"I need it transcribed in Portuguese."
"Then it's not transcription, it's translation."
"If you say so..."
"Yes, but I can do it too. Do you want the full script translated, perhaps for a blog, a magazine, or do you need a translated script for dubbing? Maybe you want it adapted for subtitles?"
"I don't get what you mean..."
"Do you need a Word fil
... See more
A client calls me:
"Yes, sir."
"If you say so..."
"Yes, but I can do it too. Do you want the full script translated, perhaps for a blog, a magazine, or do you need a translated script for dubbing? Maybe you want it adapted for subtitles?"
"Do you need a Word file with the full script in Portuguese?"
"No, I need it transcribed, sorry, I mean translated, on the screen."
"Now I'm the one not getting it. What do you mean on the screen?"
"I want the translation to come up on the screen gradually, as people say those things on the video."
"Then it's subtitling."
"If you say so, it probably is. However I can't afford subtitling, it must be too expensive. Can't you get a transcription in Portuguese on the screen?"

(Adapted from my recollection of a true conversation I had.)

Most likely your prospect has heard about subtitling using templates being cheaper. In fact it is, when a video has to be translated and subtitled in more than two different languages. However this prospect hasn't learned how to do it properly, so they are merely trying to cut corners without a clue on where the curbs intersect.
Collapse

Esther Hay
Esther Hay  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 17:46
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
That sounds like a script translation indeed. Dec 21, 2017

Hi Golf264!
That sounds like a script translation indeed. You would normally work with subtitling software to help you decide how much editing is required and to see your subtitles against the video.
Some clients do work with 2 columns in Word so translators without subtitling software can work on projects. However, the 2 column approach can really only work if the source column contains source language subtitles with the correct reading speed limit, so you have that as your guideli
... See more
Hi Golf264!
That sounds like a script translation indeed. You would normally work with subtitling software to help you decide how much editing is required and to see your subtitles against the video.
Some clients do work with 2 columns in Word so translators without subtitling software can work on projects. However, the 2 column approach can really only work if the source column contains source language subtitles with the correct reading speed limit, so you have that as your guideline. Translating the whole script is not subtitling.
Not having the video available is lunacy. There is no way you can produce subtitles that make sense without seeing the video.
HTH, Esther
Collapse

golf264
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not exactly here nor there Dec 21, 2017

Esther Hay wrote:

Hi Golf264!
Some clients do work with 2 columns in Word so translators without subtitling software can work on projects. However, the 2 column approach can really only work if the source column contains source language subtitles with the correct reading speed limit, so you have that as your guideline. Translating the whole script is not subtitling.
Not having the video available is lunacy. There is no way you can produce subtitles that make sense without seeing the video.
HTH, Esther

Actually they did sent me a DFXP file, a certain subtitling software format. And I loaded that file onto this online project platform, to complete the 'translation' of the text.

Once I loaded the file, it does have time indications on it (begin time, end time, duration) etc. And there are character limits in the fields as well. So it will definitely be synchronized. That doesn't seem to be the issue, sorry If I was unclear with that.

What bothers me is, why do they really need to call this subtitling at all? And why did the client promise to send me the media file? Are they saving money or something?

golf264
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It would seem that way but... Dec 21, 2017

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

A client calls me:
"Yes, sir."
"If you say so..."
"Do you need a Word file with the full script in Portuguese?"
"No, I need it transcribed, sorry, I mean translated, on the screen."
"Now I'm the one not getting it. What do you mean on the screen?"
"I want the translation to come up on the screen gradually, as people say those things on the video."
"Then it's subtitling."
"If you say so, it probably is. However I can't afford subtitling, it must be too expensive. Can't you get a transcription in Portuguese on the screen?"

(Adapted from my recollection of a true conversation I had.)

Most likely your prospect has heard about subtitling using templates being cheaper. In fact it is, when a video has to be translated and subtitled in more than two different languages. However this prospect hasn't learned how to do it properly, so they are merely trying to cut corners without a clue on where the curbs intersect.

I would agree with you wholeheartedly, only thing is, this person is from a well established company on proz.com with tens of positive reviews. So it would appear they know what they are doing?

Esther Hay
Esther Hay  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 17:46
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Put it on hold Dec 21, 2017

Hi again. If they have provided you with timings and a way to work within those, then it's a different story. It may not be an ideal working method, but at least it's not a straight script translation. I don't see how not providing you with the video could save them money. I would tell them I can't start the job until I have the video and the deadline will have to be moved to reflect this.

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 06:46
Estonian to English
+ ...
yes Dec 21, 2017

Yes, it's subtitling. That's the way almost all of subtitling is handled nowadays - you get the source file and need to fill in the boxes, as you say. But yeah, you should have access to the video in any case. Usually the media file runs in the online platform where you work, you almost never get to download a video anymore.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Video is a specialty area Dec 22, 2017

I would agree with you wholeheartedly, only thing is, this person is from a well established company on proz.com with tens of positive reviews. So it would appear they know what they are doing?

That conversation was actually longer, because it was mediated by a PM working at a good, solid, and well-established translation agency here in Brazil.

Years of experience working with direct video clients (producers, distributors) and their specialty vendors (e.g. dubbing & subtitling studios) taught me exactly how everything is done, i.e. how our translation is used in the process. No point in bragging about details of what I've done with video so far.

The point is that it can't be learned overnight. Translation agency PMs don't know each and every language they hire translation services from/into. However that's usually text-in & text-out, even if the character set used by either language is inextricable for them. There isn't much difference in the process, apart from the possible use of CAT tools, either for some specific purpose, or for no purpose at all, just because the boss said so.

I do video work for several translation agencies, and I know very few people in all of them who know what they are talking about when the project involves video. Most have learned to trust my judgment on what should be done, and how, since there are many options.

Sometimes an agency PM thinks s/he has heard/seen enough in a couple of projects done with a video expert, so they think that's the right way to do it. It might have been for THAT specific project, and yet they might have incomplete information. But it's never the only way.

The fact that a PM is not a video expert is not at all derogatory to a translation agency. I try to teach the PMs I work with as much as I can in our joint decision-making process, however I don't have a complete, organized training program for them on this subject. I'm sure the good ones wouldn't have the time to take it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling project seems like a translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »