KnowBrainer + Dragon Naturally Speaking Spanish?
Thread poster: Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 29, 2015

Hi All,

Due to some health issues, the time has come to jump on the speech recognition bandwagon.

I've been reading the different threads in this and other forums and, from what I gather, if I want to do away with the keyboard as much as possible, I'd need DNS Professional in order to customize memoQ's shortcuts, but it doesn't seem to be available in Spanish yet.

DNS + KnowBrainer seems to be a good alternative, but I don't know if DNS Premium Spanish is c
... See more
Hi All,

Due to some health issues, the time has come to jump on the speech recognition bandwagon.

I've been reading the different threads in this and other forums and, from what I gather, if I want to do away with the keyboard as much as possible, I'd need DNS Professional in order to customize memoQ's shortcuts, but it doesn't seem to be available in Spanish yet.

DNS + KnowBrainer seems to be a good alternative, but I don't know if DNS Premium Spanish is compatible with KnowBrainer (which is only available in English, as far as I know). Would this be a problem? I'm sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but I don't know much about either software.

Thanks!
Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:56
Russian to English
+ ...
Ask on the Knowbrainer forum for DNS Oct 29, 2015

The Knowbrainer forum is an excellent source for all things Dragon:

http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/index.cfm

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
yes, Premium is compatible with KnowBrainer Oct 30, 2015

Hi Andrea, Yes, Dragon Premium Is compatible with KnowBrainer. But let me just say that if you are going to use speech recognition technology, I recommend you go all the way and purchase the Professional version. The custom commands are worth their weight in gold. There are so many things you can do with them.

While I'm at it, I should add that there is another program which I own and use all the time called VoiceComputer. It reduces the need to script (and remember) so many comman
... See more
Hi Andrea, Yes, Dragon Premium Is compatible with KnowBrainer. But let me just say that if you are going to use speech recognition technology, I recommend you go all the way and purchase the Professional version. The custom commands are worth their weight in gold. There are so many things you can do with them.

While I'm at it, I should add that there is another program which I own and use all the time called VoiceComputer. It reduces the need to script (and remember) so many commands. The principle is simple: numbers are assigned to every imaginable link and menu on the screen. All you have to do is dictate the number, and the link or menu is instantly deployed. If, for some reason VoiceComputer does not assign a number to the part of the screen that you need to click on, you can create a canvas with your own custom numbers which you can place wherever you want.

Whichever your choice, Andrea, I wish you luck!
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Oct 30, 2015

Thank you both for your input, James and Reed. I'm not sure you got my question, though... or perhaps my question is so dumb you couldn't believe that's what I meant?

I would be using DNS Spanish (because I translate into Spanish), and I'm not sure if KnowBrainer (being in English only) would have problem integrating with it? I know it works just fine with the English version of DNS.

Reed, I'm also consid
... See more
Thank you both for your input, James and Reed. I'm not sure you got my question, though... or perhaps my question is so dumb you couldn't believe that's what I meant?

I would be using DNS Spanish (because I translate into Spanish), and I'm not sure if KnowBrainer (being in English only) would have problem integrating with it? I know it works just fine with the English version of DNS.

Reed, I'm also considering the Professional version, but it doesn't appear to be available in Spanish.

Thank you!
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
regarding using Spanish version of Dragon with KnowBrainer + screenshots Oct 30, 2015

Andrea Riffo wrote:

Reed, I'm also considering the Professional version, but it doesn't appear to be available in Spanish.

Thank you!

Hi Andrea,

I don't know much about the Spanish versions of Dragon (apart from that I think that Dragon is only available in Spanish in the older versions so far (i.e. versions 12, 12.5 and 13)), that is, not yet in the new "Dragon Professional Individual" version).

I have a licence for KnowBrainer 2015, and as far as I can tell, both the UI (i.e., the menu items and buttons, etc.), and the hundreds of built-in KnowBrainer commands are in English. I'm not sure how it would work, if you wanted to use Spanish voice commands, or maybe change these commands into Spanish commands. The only way to find out would be to ask in the KnowBrainer forum, where Lunis et al will only be too glad to help you: http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/index.cfm

I am also not sure, but it might be better to start with a free voice command/scripting tool like Vocola, and then create you own voice commands, in Spanish. See e.g.: http://vocola.net/ and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iViDXfyYPLo (install natlink unimacro vocola)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2S7YXHXCCQ (configure natlink vocola)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf5NV5fh420 (enable vocola and do global commands)
(the above YouTube tutorials are by Quintijn Hoogenboom, one of the developers behind the amazing (and free!) Vocola/Unimacro)

I also collected all the videos about installing Vocola/Unimacro into a YouTube playlist @ https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKzCjqTaOj21VaQjuyNSaHsBvkUR0DXL0&jct=-9i_O7u1LkbBGEVnTJrWx_uFcvFicA ("How to install Vocola and Unimacro (screencast tutorials by Quintijn Hoogenboom")

######################################################
I also just now made a quick screencast, showing how Vocola works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgjWuHhD7zA

Even though I have a licence for KnowBrainer 2015, I actually prefer Vocola, as I like keeping all my commands in a text file, rather than accessing them through the KnowBrainer sidebar. I also prefer the language of Vocola to that of KnowBrainer.

######################################################
Some pictures of what KnowBrainer looks like:

some_text

some_text

some_text

some_text

some_text

some_text

some_text

Michael

[Edited at 2015-10-30 15:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-10-30 15:34 GMT]

Andrea Riffo
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Oct 30, 2015

Thank you for your reply and links to resources, Michael!

Best,

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KnowBrainer + Dragon Naturally Speaking Spanish?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »