Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What version of Dragon? Home, Premium, Professional?
Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:24
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No email :( Oct 26, 2015

Luca Tutino wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks Luca but I can not find that specific object. If you could send me an email I would be grateful!

Done. I hope it helps!

Nothing came

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
indirizzo errato - rimando... Oct 26, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
Nothing came

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
:-) Oct 26, 2015

Luca Tutino wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
I was a a panellist in the recent webinar

Yes, I listened to your webinar (albeit very quickly) and it helped in confirming my decision to try DNS once again. I could only find the Italian version through Nuance Italia and I will certainly look at Vocola and keep an eye on Lillibridge's results.

And now I can dictate directly in Transit. Thank you Michael!

You’re welcome!

Michael

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Oct 29, 2015

Luca Tutino wrote:

I eventually decided and went for the Premium, because I read that Home does not allow to export and migrate voice improvements and vocabularies when you upgrade to a new version, and I hope there will be a lower chance of troubles should I decide to finally activate Win10. I also phoned Nuance Italian office and they also said that I might have fewer problems integrating it with a CAT tools and with shortcuts in general - actually they did not seem to know anything about CATs, but this is the impression I got after a chat.

The first day at work is not very impressive because DNS Premium is not able to interact directly with Transit (I have to dictate in a separate window) and does not move around at all in the CAT. I believe that Home would have behaved identically in this respect, as Claire and Richard suggested. Yet, I am quite happy with the responsiveness and I hope soon I will get better at using it, somehow.

Hi Luca,

Thank you for posting this; this thread has been a goldmine for me, as I'm also seriously considering buying DNS.

I know it's only been a couple of days, but I wanted to ask if you've tried the software with shortcuts and Trados commands, and how's that been working for you? I am torn between the Premium and Professional versions.

Thanks!

Best,

Andrea

PS: is the professional individual version available in Spanish? I can't find it in their website :/ Thanks!

[Edited at 2015-10-29 16:23 GMT]

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too early to say... Oct 29, 2015

Hi Andrea,

Tomorrow I am going to try it with Trados for the first time. I am still familiarizing with DNS internal commands. But I also had a glance on Vocola and I am confident that, one way or another, my needs will be abundantly covered.
As of now, I do not think I will ever need the pro version. In any case, the Italian version was only available via the Italian dealer, who seem to have all the versions available. I guess the same should apply to Spanish.

Andrea Riffo
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Oct 29, 2015

Thank you, Luca!

best,

Andrea

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mark Lillibridge’s ‘Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) on programming by voice’ Nov 2, 2015

Regarding the original question (‘What version of Dragon? Home, Premium, Professional?’), Mark Lillibridge answers it very clearly in his ‘Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) on programming by voice’ (Version of 5/24/2015):

‘Dragon NaturallySpeaking comes in several versions; you want either professional or premium. The primary claimed value of professional over premium is that professional allows creating voice commands using a 2006 version of Visual Basic. Gi
... See more
Regarding the original question (‘What version of Dragon? Home, Premium, Professional?’), Mark Lillibridge answers it very clearly in his ‘Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) on programming by voice’ (Version of 5/24/2015):

‘Dragon NaturallySpeaking comes in several versions; you want either professional or premium. The primary claimed value of professional over premium is that professional allows creating voice commands using a 2006 version of Visual Basic. Given that there are free open source tools for creating voice commands that are vastly better and that professional costs substantially more than premium, you will probably want to stick with premium.’

The entire page is well worth reading: http://vocola.net/programming-by-voice-FAQ.html

Index:

‘Contents

1.Can I program by voice?
1.1.Can I program primarily or entirely by voice?
1.2.Who programs entirely or mostly by voice?
1.3.What if I just want to type and click less?
1.4.What if my main language isn't English?
1.5.I am a disabled college student who cannot type. Can I become a programmer?
2.How can programming by voice possibly work?
2.1.Isn't it hard to enter code that contains a lot of punctuation like 'input := open("foo.txt");'?
2.2.How do programmers enter unpronounceable "words" like strncpy, cosh, or ostreambuf_iterator?
2.3.What are some tasks that programming by voice is bad at?
2.4.What are some tasks that programming by voice is faster for?
3.Why is it so hard to get programming by voice working?
3.1.How long does it take to start programming by voice?
3.2.Why is programming by voice hard to learn / build systems for?
3.3.Why are there no ready-made systems for programming by voice?
3.4.Are some languages/editors/IDEs/domains easier than others?
4.How can I get started programming by voice?
4.1.What's the best speech recognizer for programming by voice?
4.2.What's the best hardware for programming by voice?
4.3.What's the best software for creating voice commands?
4.4.Are there any demos I can watch?
4.5.Where can I ask questions?
4.6.Are there any other helpful resources?
5.Disclaimers and licensing’
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update: DNS and Trados Nov 3, 2015

It works but, between the two programs, not much of my 8Gb RAB remains available for searches, reference and instructions files and other programs. I ran out of memory (with programs hung or slowing down) a few times, and I ended up closing Chrome and other programs to get out of it. Eventually, I unloaded DNS and continued using my keyboard this time.

I am not very happy about this. I guess I will make better use of it when I will get a 16Gb RAM PC.

[Edited at 2015-11-03 23
... See more
It works but, between the two programs, not much of my 8Gb RAB remains available for searches, reference and instructions files and other programs. I ran out of memory (with programs hung or slowing down) a few times, and I ended up closing Chrome and other programs to get out of it. Eventually, I unloaded DNS and continued using my keyboard this time.

I am not very happy about this. I guess I will make better use of it when I will get a 16Gb RAM PC.

[Edited at 2015-11-03 23:34 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Max out your RAM! Nov 4, 2015

Luca Tutino wrote:

Indeed, you need a lot of RAM to run Dragon comfortably. I have 32 GB; maybe a bit of overkill, but I can run Dragon Professional Individual 14, plus a a huge amount of other programs simultaneously (including Chrome with 20 tabs open), without ever noticing any kind of slowdown whatsoever. I'd say that around 16 GB is the minimum these days, if you want to run a copy of Dragon comfortably.

Having a decent CPU is also important (I am using an i7 here), and if it all possible an SSD (I have three in my work laptop).

Michael

Andrea Riffo
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Nov 4, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Luca Tutino wrote:

Indeed, you need a lot of RAM to run Dragon comfortably. I have 32 GB; maybe a bit of overkill, but I can run Dragon Professional Individual 14, plus a a huge amount of other programs simultaneously (including Chrome with 20 tabs open), without ever noticing any kind of slowdown whatsoever. I'd say that around 16 GB is the minimum these days, if you want to run a copy of Dragon comfortably.

Having a decent CPU is also important (I am using an i7 here), and if it all possible an SSD (I have three in my work laptop).

Michael

I agree. My laptop is an i7, 12 GB RAM and SSD drive and it's handling bot DNS + memoQ + open tabs fine so far.

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it really worth such an upgrade? Nov 4, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

I have 32 GB; maybe a bit of overkill, but I can run Dragon Professional Individual 14, plus a a huge amount of other programs simultaneously (including Chrome with 20 tabs open), without ever noticing any kind of slowdown whatsoever.

I managed to get exactly the same behaviour for years with my old notebook with 8MB and I3 CPU (and a large SSD in the last year). But now DNS is pushing me to the next HW upgrade - which is not my favorite activity.

I was not sure that the speed improvement (with CATs) would have been worth the about €175 price (with accessories). I was favourably impressed, still I am less convinced that it can actually justify and immediate PC change - and for an expensive machine.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
are you running a 64-bit version of Windows? Nov 4, 2015

Luca Tutino wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

I have 32 GB; maybe a bit of overkill, but I can run Dragon Professional Individual 14, plus a a huge amount of other programs simultaneously (including Chrome with 20 tabs open), without ever noticing any kind of slowdown whatsoever.

I managed to get exactly the same behaviour for years with my old notebook with 8MB and I3 CPU (and a large SSD in the last year). But now DNS is pushing me to the next HW upgrade - which is not my favorite activity.

I was not sure that the speed improvement (with CATs) would have been worth the about €175 price (with accessories). I was favourably impressed, still I am less convinced that it can actually justify and immediate PC change - and for an expensive machine.

I assume you are, but I thought I would ask just in case: are you running a 64-bit version of Windows? Because if you aren’t, your operating system will not be able to use all of your RAM.

~~~~~~~
PS: I just checked the system requirements for Dragon Professional Individual, and it looks like your computer should actually suffice:

"System requirements

– RAM: Minimum 2 GB for 32-bit Windows 7, 8.1 & 10; 4 GB for 64-bit Windows 7, 8.1 & 10 and Windows Server 2008 R2 & 2012
– CPU: Intel® dual core or equivalent AMD processor. Faster processors yield faster performance.
– Free hard disk space: 8GB
– Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, 8.1, 10 (32- and 64-bit); Windows Server 2008 R2 & 2012
– Internet Explorer 9 or higher or the current version of Chrome or Firefox for Online Help
– A sound card supporting 16-bit recording
– Built-in microphone or a Nuance-approved microphone. See support.nuance.com/compatibility for more information
– An Internet connection for product download and automatic product activation (a quick anonymous process)"

src: http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-product/dragon/dragon-for-the-pc/dragon-professional-individual/index.htm

PPS: Have you checked in Task Manager (or Process Explorer) exactly which programs are using how much RAM?
I'm asking because Chrome actually uses a very large amount of RAM (partially because it runs every tab as a different process), and can actually even use more than Dragon.

[Edited at 2015-11-04 18:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-04 18:53 GMT]

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, yes and yes... but I will have to put it aside for now Nov 4, 2015

I am on a 64-bit system, but 8Gb is the max my current notebook can take. I checked and met all requirements, except the mic, which is cheap and not in the list but works very well. Chrome, of course, can take up to 4Gb in my system, the rest is shared mostly between Studio and DNS - according to Process Explorer.

The point is that I can now open up to 3 Chrome windows with 20 tabs each, and Office, and Studio + Multiterm and Transit and at least 4-5 or more other very useful progra
... See more
I am on a 64-bit system, but 8Gb is the max my current notebook can take. I checked and met all requirements, except the mic, which is cheap and not in the list but works very well. Chrome, of course, can take up to 4Gb in my system, the rest is shared mostly between Studio and DNS - according to Process Explorer.

The point is that I can now open up to 3 Chrome windows with 20 tabs each, and Office, and Studio + Multiterm and Transit and at least 4-5 or more other very useful programs without problems, if I feel like. With DNS I could not do it anymore.

I know that I could spare several hundreds of Mb by keeping fewer browser windows opened and by restarting browser and/or PC more frequently, but both these option seem more costly than doing without DNS in terms of efficiency, considering that CAT integration and tagged files tend to impair its contribution to speed and relax...

I would be tempted to explore RAM disk options or similar, but I think I remember that with such large memories they are not useful and that they might be damaging for my now perfectly working SSD configuration, which is paramount.

I am afraid that I will simply put DNS aside (for the third time in about 10 years!), just experimenting with it when I have time, until when some other program will contribute pushing for a PC change.

[Edited at 2015-11-04 19:38 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What version of Dragon? Home, Premium, Professional?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »