Thread poster: Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:20
Chinese to English
Oct 2, 2015

Hello,

I've been using DNS13 for quite a while now and am pretty impressed with the performance. The only problem I have is that it tends to lag quite a bit. In my experience the software is nowhere near as responsive as it's portrayed in this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlKOA1MhlI&feature=player_detailpage#t=55
... See more
Hello,

I've been using DNS13 for quite a while now and am pretty impressed with the performance. The only problem I have is that it tends to lag quite a bit. In my experience the software is nowhere near as responsive as it's portrayed in this video here:

My guess is that the lag is due to having too many applications open at the same time. At anyone time I''m probably running:

MS Word
MS Excell
MS Outlook
Yahoo Mail app
Two browsers with around 15 tabs open each
Trados
TO3000
Windows Explorer
Sharing media files with another computer
as well as all of the other stuff that Windows 10 runs in the background.

My computer has 8GB of RAM. According to the task manager I'm only utilising 5GB so there's still 3GB spare. In this case. why the lag?

Should I stick another 8GB of RAM in my machine to up it to 16GB? Would this make a difference?

Thanks,

Mark
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:20
English to German
RAM would probably not help lag Oct 2, 2015

With today's prices, stocking up to 16GB is not a bad idea in general as it can help keep the computer responsive in corner cases of heavy use. But it is not necessary, and most likely not the cause of DNS lags. As a test, you can close all programs (particularly browsers) you don't need for dictating and see if the lag goes away when you have around 6GB RAM free. My guess is it won't.

Inadequate microphone quality can be a reason for lags. What do you use? Pronunciation is also a f
... See more
With today's prices, stocking up to 16GB is not a bad idea in general as it can help keep the computer responsive in corner cases of heavy use. But it is not necessary, and most likely not the cause of DNS lags. As a test, you can close all programs (particularly browsers) you don't need for dictating and see if the lag goes away when you have around 6GB RAM free. My guess is it won't.

Inadequate microphone quality can be a reason for lags. What do you use? Pronunciation is also a factor that can help or hinder recognition, increasing or reducing recognition lag.

Endre
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Mac Dictation Oct 2, 2015

Mark, if I remember correctly, you are on a Mac too.

Did you ever try the Dictation feature of Yosemite or even of El Capitan?

That having said, I noticed that the download of the English speech data was 480 MB in size. So I'd say: use rather 16 GB than 8 GB.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Quick test (screencast) Oct 2, 2015

Mark Sanderson wrote:

Hello,

My guess is that the lag is due to having too many applications open at the same time. At anyone time I''m probably running:

MS Word
MS Excell
MS Outlook
Yahoo Mail app
Two browsers with around 15 tabs open each
Trados
TO3000
Windows Explorer
Sharing media files with another computer
as well as all of the other stuff that Windows 10 runs in the background.

My computer has 8GB of RAM. According to the task manager I'm only utilising 5GB so there's still 3GB spare. In this case. why the lag?

Should I stick another 8GB of RAM in my machine to up it to 16GB? Would this make a difference?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I did a quick test using:

– Dragon Professional Individual (14) [speech model used: Far Field*, BestMatch V**, Vocabulary Large***]
– Windows 10 64-bit
– Laptop with i7, 32GB RAM, SSD
– Mic: SpeechWare 3-in-1 TableMike

This was with quite a few programs running in the background (Chrome: 25 tabs, Skype, CafeTran, CrashPlan pro, etc etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS4tPGzjHSc

Michael

* it is important to use ‘far field’ (when creating your Profile; via the ‘Advanced’ option) if you are using a desktop mic!
** V is the heaviest (most computationally intensive) speech model; the older ‘IV’ is less taxing on your computer
*** ‘large’ vocab is supposed to be harder on your computer than ‘medium’

[Edited at 2015-10-02 12:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-10-02 12:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-10-02 12:08 GMT]

Mark Sanderson
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the replies Oct 4, 2015

Thanks for posting the video Michael. I think I'll stick another 8GB of RAM in my computer and see what happens.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Just for my information Oct 5, 2015

Mark Sanderson a écrit :

At anyone time I''m probably running:

Background music (usually VLC)

Are you really listening music working with DNS?

With regards

Mark Sanderson
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
DNS and music Oct 6, 2015

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Mark Sanderson a écrit :

At anyone time I''m probably running:

Background music (usually VLC)

Are you really listening music working with DNS?

With regards

Yes, it works.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is 8GB of RAM enough for DNS13?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »