Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation
Cecilia Coopman, M.A. in Translation  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 29, 2003

Hello,

We have two documents in Word very similar to each other (small changes have been made in the last one). Is it possible to compare these two files in Trados and know exactly what changes have been made? I am afraid they didn\'t use the track changes option.

I want to know if it is possible using Trados or to know about other option which could save us time.

Thank you.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:14
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use Word Jan 29, 2003

You can compare files using Word.

Just open one file, them go to \"tools\", \"track control\" (\"control de cambios\", in my Spanish word), and after that \"Compare documents\" (I don\'t know the exactly name in English as I\'m using a Spanish version).

A pop up window will appear requesting (and leading you to) the name of the file to compare. Browse into you PC until you find the file, select it, and clic \"OPEN\". You\'ll have a document with the changes highlighted.
... See more

Just open one file, them go to \"tools\", \"track control\" (\"control de cambios\", in my Spanish word), and after that \"Compare documents\" (I don\'t know the exactly name in English as I\'m using a Spanish version).

A pop up window will appear requesting (and leading you to) the name of the file to compare. Browse into you PC until you find the file, select it, and clic \"OPEN\". You\'ll have a document with the changes highlighted.

Regards,

Clarisa
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:14
English to German
+ ...
Word document comparison / Trados Analysis Jan 29, 2003

Hi Cecilia,

I\'m not 100% sure I\'ve understood what exactly you\'re looking for - let me give you a few possible solutions:

If all you need is the revision marks your client forgot to use, compare the two documents in Word:

- Make sure neither of the documents contains revision marks.

- Open the second (later) version.

- Select menu items \'Tools - Track changes - Compare documents\' (I\'m using a German version of Word, so these migh
... See more
Hi Cecilia,

I\'m not 100% sure I\'ve understood what exactly you\'re looking for - let me give you a few possible solutions:

If all you need is the revision marks your client forgot to use, compare the two documents in Word:

- Select menu items \'Tools - Track changes - Compare documents\' (I\'m using a German version of Word, so these might not be 100% exact), select the first (earlier) version, and Word should now display the changes.

If you translated the first document using Trados Workbench, TW will show you where the changes are - note that revision marks would disturb this (which is one of the reasons why Workbench won\'t work as long as revision marking is active).

If you need to quantify the \"delta\" between the two:

- Analyse the first document using TW.

- Do not close the \"Analyse\" dialogue box once the analysis has been completed.

- Tick the \"Use TM from Previous Analysis\" box.

- \'Remove\' the first document from the list and \'Add...\' the second document; start another analysis.

- The results displayed reflect the overlap between the two documents.

HTH - best regards, Ralf
Collapse

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Jan 29, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-29 15:49, Clarisa wrote:

A pop up window will appear requesting (and leading you to) the name of the file to compare. Browse into you PC until ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-29 15:49, Clarisa wrote:

Regards,

Clarisa

Thank you Clarisa. The answer was at the end easier than what I thought. Thank you very much. I didn\'t know about this option in Word. I learn every day!

Have a nice day!

Cecilia ▲ Collapse

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Jan 29, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-29 15:52, Lemster wrote:

Hi Cecilia,

- Select ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-29 15:52, Lemster wrote:

Hi Cecilia,

- Select menu items \'Tools - Track changes - Compare documents\' (I\'m using a German version of Word, so these might not be 100% exact), select the first (earlier) version, and Word should now display the changes.

If you translated the first document using Trados Workbench, TW will show you where the changes are - note that revision marks would disturb this (which is one of the reasons why Workbench won\'t work as long as revision marking is active).

If you need to quantify the \"delta\" between the two:

- Analyse the first document using TW.

- Do not close the \"Analyse\" dialogue box once the analysis has been completed.

- Tick the \"Use TM from Previous Analysis\" box.

- \'Remove\' the first document from the list and \'Add...\' the second document; start another analysis.

- The results displayed reflect the overlap between the two documents.

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Thanks Ralf for the info. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados questions - comparison of documents

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »