Is it better to use TRADOS or Pagemaker?
Thread poster: A. Deb
A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 13, 2003

Hi!

I\'ve just been given a 60-page document in Pagemaker 6.5 format. Besides the text itself, it has quite a few graphics and imported Word tables. Could anyone tell me if it is possible to translate documents of this type with TRADOS 5.5 (Freelance). Given the problems that often arise when using TRADOS with Word documents with lots of graphics, perhaps it is just better to translate in Pagemaker instead. I\'m not sure. Can anyone help?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:43
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use a TRADOS plug-in for Pagemaker Jan 13, 2003

It is called Story Collector for Page Maker and is copied in the Trados directory by means of standar installation. But you need to copy it manually to a PageMaker directory called \"PLUGINS\". It is located in the installation directory of PageMaker, but the nomenclature depends on the language installed, so I cannot give you the path for any language. Ie. for German it is: c:\\pm65\\rsrc\\deutsch\\plugins\\ . For other languages it is possible, that you only need to replace \"\\deutsch\\\" wit... See more
It is called Story Collector for Page Maker and is copied in the Trados directory by means of standar installation. But you need to copy it manually to a PageMaker directory called \"PLUGINS\". It is located in the installation directory of PageMaker, but the nomenclature depends on the language installed, so I cannot give you the path for any language. Ie. for German it is: c:\\pm65\\rsrc\\deutsch\\plugins\\ . For other languages it is possible, that you only need to replace \"\\deutsch\\\" with the proper language. See in your computer.

Refer to Trados manual, where Story Collectors are located. Usually it should be: C:\\Programme\\TRADOS\\T5_FL\\WS\\Story Collectors\\PageMaker . Copy all files from there to Plugin directory of Pagemaker.

After starting Pagemaker you´ll find a new plugin called \"Story collector\". With this tool you can extract PM text to a txt-file and translate it using TAGEditor, or filter it to rtf using FilterPack, and then translate it with Word.

HTH

Jerzy

PS

I prefer to work with Word and not with PageMaker, since you can undo only one step in Pagemaker - and it can be very hard then...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it better to use TRADOS or Pagemaker?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »