Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:02
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 2, 2003

Hello,

I am trying to translate an Excel file using Trados 5.5 but each time it displays the error \"unable to open file filename.xls\". I don\'t know why this is and I can open up the file perfectly in Excel, so it\'s not corrupt.

I\'ve searched on trados.com and can\'t find any information. Does anyone know what I\'m doing wrong?

Thanks,

Joanne

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 03:02
German to English
+ ...
Are you using T-Window? Jan 2, 2003

As far as I know, you can\'t translate Excel files using \"just\" Trados - you have to use the T-Window for Excel function.

This T-Window is not particularly intuitive , and you have to create a project first before you can actually translate your file.

That means - File: New; Project File: just create a file in the relevant folder; Project settings: enter the path for the file you want to translate....
... See more
As far as I know, you can\'t translate Excel files using \"just\" Trados - you have to use the T-Window for Excel function.

This T-Window is not particularly intuitive , and you have to create a project first before you can actually translate your file.

That means - File: New; Project File: just create a file in the relevant folder; Project settings: enter the path for the file you want to translate....

HTH

Alison
Collapse

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:02
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much Jan 3, 2003

Thanks Alison,

That\'s exactly where I was going wrong. This is the first time I\'ve used this.

Happy New Year!

Joanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.5 and Excel 2002 - unable to open file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »