Help with Trados message: [33353] end of paragraph not found
Thread poster: Mariflor Salas
Mariflor Salas
Mariflor Salas  Identity Verified
Venezuela
Local time: 11:41
English to Spanish
Jul 23, 2002

People: Could any of you please help me out with this problem? I\'m getting this error message from Trados, and I don´t know how to fix it (I clicked on \"Fix document\" in the Trados menu, and nothing happened).

What am I supposed to do?

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:41
English to Italian
+ ...
try this one Jul 23, 2002

Check that the segment you are translating does not end with a page

break or section break. In that case, insert a paragraph break (outside of Trados) at the end of the segment.

Mariflor Salas
Venezuela
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Massimo. I tried that... Jul 23, 2002

but it did not work (as a matter of fact, what you said has worked for me in the past). I did a thousand things and nothing worked. I ended up copying and pasting the whole document into a new file and for some strange reason, this time it worked (?)

Go figure. If someone can think of something else, please let me (us) know.

Thanks again.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Broken segment Jul 23, 2002

Two possibilities for a broken segment (and \"Fix document\" will not rectify it in either case):

(1) You manually entered a section break within a segment; this can happen when editing without using Trados. To find out exactly where the problem is, create a copy of your document and run a cleanup. This will obviously return an error message, but you should be able to recognise the segment where it occurred. The safest way of rectifying this is to paste the whole paragraph o
... See more
Two possibilities for a broken segment (and \"Fix document\" will not rectify it in either case):

(1) You manually entered a section break within a segment; this can happen when editing without using Trados. To find out exactly where the problem is, create a copy of your document and run a cleanup. This will obviously return an error message, but you should be able to recognise the segment where it occurred. The safest way of rectifying this is to paste the whole paragraph of the original document, and to take it from there.

(2) If the document contains cross-references (particularly to section headings), this can create problems with so-called \"hidden bookmarks\". (Note that this is a Word issue, not a Trados problem.) Contact Trados support; they should be able to supply you with a macro that circumvents this issue. (Let\'s hope you have a support agreement...)
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Trados online support Jul 23, 2002

Try to take a look at this:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=311

Or go to:

http://support.trados.com/default.asp

and then search the database for 33353.

You´ll get two articles that could be a little help.

<
... See more
Try to take a look at this:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=311

Or go to:

http://support.trados.com/default.asp

and then search the database for 33353.

You´ll get two articles that could be a little help.

If all this does not help, translate the sentece you are trying to open manually (without opening it with Trados) and then proceed with the next sentece. Sometimes it helps.

Other possibility is to select the whole text (CTRL+A), copy it and paste to a completly new document.

Sometimes it helps, even if other workarounds does not, but it depends on the file structure.

The last possibility ist to copy the whole text to a new document, select the whole text and then press CTRL+SPACE, CTRL+SHIFT+N to make the text formatted as just simple text. If it helps and you can translate with TRADOS, you can then use the function \"Translate\" from Trados on the original text, for you do not need to reformat everything. Trados will not recognize alls segments as 100% match due to format changes, but still the most segments will be translated.

HTH

Best Jerzy
Collapse

Mariflor Salas
Venezuela
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 23, 2002

To Massimo, Ralf and Jerzy: Thanks so much for your very useful help. I learn new things today.

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
This might come a bit late for your problem 'msal', but.... Feb 5, 2003

... I thought it might be useful for other people who encounter this problem if I explain how I overcame it.

I was working on a formatted doc file with Trados Workbench and Trados didn\'t proceed to open the next segment but gave me the same error message (\"[33353] end of paragraph not found\"). The problematic segment was the first sentence of a short paragraph and had a section break immediately after the full stop ending the last sentence of the paragraph. I managed to
... See more
... I thought it might be useful for other people who encounter this problem if I explain how I overcame it.

I was working on a formatted doc file with Trados Workbench and Trados didn\'t proceed to open the next segment but gave me the same error message (\"[33353] end of paragraph not found\"). The problematic segment was the first sentence of a short paragraph and had a section break immediately after the full stop ending the last sentence of the paragraph. I managed to overcome this by adding a hard return after the full stop, before the section break. After that Trados was happy and opened the segment.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Trados message: [33353] end of paragraph not found

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »