Using Lionbridge Files in Trados 2015: OK; reverting back Lionbridge says NOT OK?
Thread poster: Rebekah Olson
Rebekah Olson
Rebekah Olson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:39
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2020

Hello. I’m able to handle LionBridge files in Trafos by using the following method, but when I deliver the files they always say there are problems:

1. Rename the .xlz file as a .zip file
2. Unzip
3. Upload the file called “source” into Trados
4. Translate
5. Finalize
6. Insert translated “source” file in place of original
7. Zip
8. Rename .zip file as .xlz file
What am I doing wrong, or what can I do differently? I really
... See more
Hello. I’m able to handle LionBridge files in Trafos by using the following method, but when I deliver the files they always say there are problems:

1. Rename the .xlz file as a .zip file
2. Unzip
3. Upload the file called “source” into Trados
4. Translate
5. Finalize
6. Insert translated “source” file in place of original
7. Zip
8. Rename .zip file as .xlz file
What am I doing wrong, or what can I do differently? I really don’t want to have to pay to use their translation software; I’ve tried it and really don’t care for it.

Thank you for any help!

Rebekah
Collapse

Damijan Vehar

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Rebekah Jun 23, 2020

Rebekah Olson wrote:
What am I doing wrong, or what can I do differently?

If we assume that no other files inside the XLZ file need to be updated, i.e. that only the XLF file is updated, and if we assume that Trados does not screw up the XLF file, then the problem could lie with the zip file. Firstly, it may be that your zip program uses a type of zipping that is different from TWS's. Secondly, it could be that your zip program creates an extra folder inside the zip file.

When you create the final zip file, you should not zip the folder itself, where the files are stored, but instead you should navigate into that folder, then select all files inside the folder, and then create the zip file from there. This will ensure that your zip program does not create an extra folder inside the zip file.

If you have a good zip program (7-zip or WinRAR), you should be able to right-click the XLZ file itself (without renaming it) and select "open archive" (or similar), which will show you the files inside the zip file. Then you can extract the XLF file and translate it. Afterwards, open the archive again (i.e. right-click the XLZ file and select "open archive") and then drag and drop the newly translated XLF file into it so that it replaces the original one.

Of course, it could also be that TWS applies edits to other files in the XLZ file, which communicates to LionBridge that the file was not edited in TWS. Or, it could also be that Trados generates an XLF file that is sufficiently different from the format that TWS expects.

[Edited at 2020-06-23 11:12 GMT]

Renée van Bijsterveld
Aline Amorim

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Open them in TWS Jun 23, 2020

And you could also try and open the converted files in TWS yourself, to see what the problem is, before AND after zipping.

Dan Lucas
Aline Amorim

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:39
English to Russian
Why do you unzip them at all? Jun 23, 2020

Can't you just import xlz files?
I just add xlz files and Studio 2019 recognizes them as xliff files and then saves as xlz again.

[Edited at 2020-06-23 14:03 GMT]

Rebekah Olson
Rebekah Olson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:39
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 23, 2020

Wow, thank you all for your answers and help! I really appreciate it.

The problem is my Studio 2015 doesn't have the language with which I need to work enabled (I can only have five languages and this is my sixth working language). For Wordfast files (TXMLs), I always just open in notepad and change the source language to one I have enabled. But I can't open XLIFF or XLZ files to do this, it seems.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Rebekah Jun 23, 2020

Rebekah Olson wrote:
For Wordfast files (TXMLs), I always just open in notepad and change the source language to one I have enabled.

- Install 7-zip.
- Then, right-click the XLZ file and select 7-Zip > Open Archive. It will then show a window with the content of the XLZ file.
- In that window, right-click the XLF file and select Rename. Change the file extension to TXT. It will change to a TXT file's icon.
- Then double-click that "TXT" file to open it. It will open in Notepad.
- Edit the language codes. Save (not sure which shortcut that is in Notepad, but I assume Ctrl+S).
- Close Notepad. 7-Zip will ask you if you want to update the file in the archive. Say "OK".
- Right-click the "TXT" file and select Rename. Change the file extension back to XLF. It will change to an XLF file's icon.
- Close the 7-Zip window.
- Your XLZ file is now updated with the new language codes and you can try to translate it in e.g. Trados.

Try it and tell us if it works.

Don't forget to rename it back before sending it to the client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Lionbridge Files in Trados 2015: OK; reverting back Lionbridge says NOT OK?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »