Thread poster: audei
audei
audei
France
French to German
+ ...
Apr 30, 2020

Hello,
I'm a student and try to get familiar with CAT tools. I'm used to translating with DeepL and then correct or improve this version, but how can I have a similar thing inside Trados? Maybe the free trial version does not allow acces to cloud or machine translation or whatsoever?
Second, I'm confused by the narrow lines: the segments are so close together! Do people get used to this uncomfortable layout?
Thank you for your feedback.
Inga

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Audei Apr 30, 2020

audei wrote:
I'm used to translating with DeepL and then correct or improve this version...

In which program or on what web site have you been using DeepL so far?

How can I have a similar thing inside Trados? Maybe the free trial version [of Trados] does not allow access to cloud or machine translation...?

1. You need a "pro" account with DeepL to be able to use DeepL's functionality inside a CAT tool.
https://www.deepl.com/en/pro-tool_integration.html

2. You need to download and install this app from the Trados app store to use DeepL inside Trados:
https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/deepl-translation-provider/847/

3. The trial version of Trados has certain limitations:
https://www.sdltrados.com/products/trados-studio/free-trial.html
*Please note, the trial does not include access to ... apps from the SDL AppStore.

Purely as a matter of interest, and not because I'm advocating piracy, I wondered if one could use a copy of the app that was downloaded by someone else for you and still be able to use DeepL inside the trial version of Trados (since "access" to download the app requires a Trados license, but the apps themselves are just ordinary files that can be copied from computer to computer), but I spoke to the Live Chat and they told me that you can't **use** apps with the trial version of Trados, so presumably you can't use the app even if you could somehow lay your hands on it. And besides, you need a pro-account from DeepL to make the app work.

If you're curious to see what DeepL inside Trados might look like, here is a YouTube video showing something similar.

[Edited at 2020-04-30 08:33 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Audei II Apr 30, 2020

audei wrote:
I'm confused by the narrow lines: the segments are so close together! Do people get used to this uncomfortable layout?

You can increase the length of the lines by minimizing the left-hand pane, or by increasing the size of the Trados window (e.g. maximize it), or by using a wider screen. There are no other options available to increase the length of the lines. There is no option to e.g. display source and target above-and-below each other instead of side by side (you can, however, choose above-and-below view for exported bilingual review DOCX files).

audei
audei
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
trados trial version and machine translating Apr 30, 2020

I used DeepL only in the free version, and then copy and paste
What I understand is: a CAT-tool (money spent) will still make me pay extra (again money spent) for this basic machine work?!

Thank you so much for all the useful information, in any case! Still have to learn a lot...

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Audei Apr 30, 2020

audei wrote:
What I understand is: a CAT-tool (money spent) will still make me pay extra (again money spent) for this basic machine work?!

DeepL is not a "basic" machine translation. It is actually one of the more expensive ones. They provide their web site translation for free, but if you want to use it inside other programs, you have to pay.

The machine translation function in Trados is but a very small portion of all the things you can do with Trados. I'll wager most translators who buy Trados buy it for the other features, and not because it can connect to a machine translation system (although that is a nice added bonus).

As far as I know, DeepL isn't part of Trados. It is a separate company. So, the way DeepL makes money is by charging money for translators to use DeepL in a CAT tool. There is nothing that the Trados company can do about that. The DeepL app in the Trados app store is "free" (i.e., you don't pay extra for it).

DeepL pro also works in a few other CAT tools, and you may be able to use their trial versions perpetually, with some limitations (e.g. document size). You may be able to use other machine translation systems for free or for a much lower price with the trial versions or free versions of other CAT tools.

For example, OmegaT is free, but you need an API key for almost all of its machine translation connections, and these API keys cost money. For example, using Google Translate costs about $0.01 per 50 words, so it's very cheap, but you still need to register for it and set up payment (at Google, not at OmegaT).

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
You don't want to pay for the CAT tools? Apr 30, 2020

audei wrote:
I used DeepL only in the free version, and then copy and paste

I may be misunderstanding you, but it does cost a lot of money and effort to develop good CAT tools. I think it is only fair that one pays for that work. Of course, how much is reasonable to pay is a different matter.

Very often you get a basic version for free (as you say, you have to copy and paste). So for DeepL (or for instance GT4T, which I prefer, not least because DeepL doesn't work for Norwegian), to work in a CAT tool like Studio, I would expect DeepL to charge some money for use of their services.

You should look at this as an investment, which makes you more productive, for which you pay for.

There is, of course another side of this, which I hope you also have taking into consideration: confidentiality. Some agencies will not be pleased if they understand that you are using machine translation. (Though if the machine translation service does not save your input, I cannot see that this should be a problem.)

Dan Lucas

audei
audei
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DeepL, CAT tools and money spent May 1, 2020

Thank you very much for your precise and rich answers; it's always helpful to hear what experience says.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trados trial version and machine translating

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »