Is there a way to extract only those terms from a TermBase that are used in a particular project.
Thread poster: Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:12
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2020

Say you have a Termbase with 100 terms. A particular file contains only 10 of those terms. Is there an easy way to extract a list of those 10 terms?

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You just attach the termbase to the project Apr 29, 2020

The relevant terms will show up in the corner as you work.

Where is the problem?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:12
English to Russian
No way Apr 29, 2020

Astrid Elke Witte wrote:
Where is the problem?

The problem is that the task/question is completely different.
I don't know why Brent needs that, but there is no way to do what he asked about.

Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not essential but would be nice to be able to do this if possible… Apr 30, 2020

Sometimes my clients ask me to provide a glossary alongside my translations. If the glossary words are already in one of my TermBases, this would make the task a bit easier.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
create a new term base Apr 30, 2020

You could have your normal termbase open and work from it, but have your newly created one on top. Then add new terms, and they will go into the termbase you created specifically for that project or client. I think you can see which TB the suggested terms come from (in case you don't remember if you added a term already to the new TB). I know you can see that in the TMs. It has been a while since I have used Trados. I am using MemoQ now.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Brent Apr 30, 2020

Brent Sørensen wrote:
Say you have a termbase with 100 terms. A particular file contains only 10 of those terms. Is there an easy way to extract a list of those 10 terms?

I can't think of an easy way, but here's a convoluted way:

If you dummy translate that file in such a way that every target segment contains garbage (or: source=target, but that's not 100% safe), and then run a QA against the termbase, and generate a QA report, then you may be able to "extract" the glossary from the QA report. (Or: if you have a QA program that will flag segments as term errors even if the target is empty, then that would work too.)

I'm assuming the QA report will say things like "word X found in source but word Y not found in target", and then X and Y is the source and target term, which you can distill from the QA file into a new glossary. This new glossary will have source and target term only, so if your termbase contains any other information (e.g. comments or metadata), then obviously that information will not be in the newly created glossary.

Xbench (version 2.9) has a QA function, but you'd have to convert your termbase to a glossary that Xbench can understand. Basically, you have to "create a project" and add your SDLXLIFF files to it, and then perform a QA and/or export some stuff. I'm no expert at Xbench, sorry... and it's difficult to learn if you haven't learnt it yet. There are also other tools that can do a QA on SDLXLIFF files against a termbase or a glossary (including other CAT tools), that may produce a QA report that you can most easily convert to a glossary.

Astrid Elke Witte wrote:
The relevant terms will show up in the corner as you work. Where is the problem?

Apart from the reason mentioned by Brent, another reason why such a feature may be incredibly useful is if you want to cooperate with another translator and you want to ensure that they follow the termbase, but you don't want to share your entire termbase with them (only the parts that are necessary for the files that you give them).

[Edited at 2020-04-30 21:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to extract only those terms from a TermBase that are used in a particular project.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »