When returning one of my two Studio 2019 licenses, how do I know which installation is still active?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 09:04
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 19, 2020

When returning one of my two Studio 2019 licenses, how do I know which installation is still active?

I have the Plus version of Studio 2019, which means I have two licenses I can use on two different computers.

I have Studio installed and activated already on two computers, and now want to deactivate the license on one of these two computers before activating the second license on my third computer.

But if I log in to my SDL account and return one of my two
... See more

I have the Plus version of Studio 2019, which means I have two licenses I can use on two different computers.

I have Studio installed and activated already on two computers, and now want to deactivate the license on one of these two computers before activating the second license on my third computer.

But if I log in to my SDL account and return one of my two licenses, how do I know which of my currently activated licenses is the one still active?
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Get in touch with SDL Mar 19, 2020

Hi Fredrik,

I remember having this dilemma, scared of doing the wrong thing. But SDL are reasonable, friendly and speedy, even reactivating my licence once after an unexpected PC meltdown, so I think the best thing to do is to be sure, and contact them first, if only to make sure they know in advance what you intend to do. Then they'll help you out with whatever happens, I'd say.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seems to have changed from before... Mar 19, 2020

Hi Mervyn,

I'll do that, contact SDL Support.

Before, I think I can remember there were two licenses in my account, now there is only one (the digit 1 with an asterisk after).
Then there is a field saying Extra activations with an asterisk before. So I probably should use the same license code. Remains to see whether I need to return the license first.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:04
French to English
+ ...
You will know... Mar 19, 2020

on which computer you deactivated your license. The other one is still good to go.
If you go into your account, after deactivation, you will see one available license.
Am I missing something?
HTH,
Sandra

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In use 1, available 0... Mar 19, 2020

It's a bit confusing because is says in my account: In use 1, available 0. Which seems like I would have one license only. But it's not the case. If I hover over the question mark for the field Extra activations, there is a long explanation where it, among other things, says I can use the same license code multiple times. Anyway, I still need to ask SDL Support before proceeding, to be certain.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes ... Mar 19, 2020

... it's confusing. I remember the 1 and 0 quandary, and wondered what would happen if I got it wrong. So I covered my back.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »