Trados Studio 2019: unwanted automatic pretranslation when adding files
Thread poster: Katja Heimann-Kiefer
Katja Heimann-Kiefer
Katja Heimann-Kiefer
Local time: 15:13
English to German
Jan 29, 2020

Hi all,

while I had purchased the updated to Studio 2019 quite a while ago already, it is only now in January that I am actually making the switch from 2017 and am taking the first steps.

So I added a new source file to a project I was working on. I simply added the file, nothing more. And just by adding the file Studio not only created a target copy and analysed the file (as it used to do) - but also applied Perfect Matches and pretranslated the files.

I
... See more
Hi all,

while I had purchased the updated to Studio 2019 quite a while ago already, it is only now in January that I am actually making the switch from 2017 and am taking the first steps.

So I added a new source file to a project I was working on. I simply added the file, nothing more. And just by adding the file Studio not only created a target copy and analysed the file (as it used to do) - but also applied Perfect Matches and pretranslated the files.

I don't want to get my new files automatically pretranslated. I want to control myself what is happening with my files. I set "analyse only" as my standard workflow. This behaviour is a clear violation of what I set, and I'm not even getting a choice of what is going to happen!

How can I change this unwanted behaviour?

Grateful for any tips:
Katja
Collapse

Roy Chacón
Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 09:13
English to Spanish
You can. Jan 29, 2020

When adding the files, instead of clicking on the "Add files" option in the context menu, wait a bit until the submenu appears and click on "Add files and run custom batch tasks". This will have the same effect as in previous Studio versions.

Anotación 2020-01-29 062531

[Edited at 2020-01-29 11:27 GMT]

Katja Heimann-Kiefer
Katja Heimann-Kiefer
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Brilliant, thanks! Jan 29, 2020

Hi Roy,

thank you very much, that's a lot better!

(Now it would be nice if the suggested task sequence could default to the one that I actually set as default task sequence in the program options - that would save me always having to select my standard task sequence. But I suppose we shouldn't ask for too much ...)

Thanks again,
Katja

Roy Chacón
Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 09:13
English to Spanish
I think it's also possible. Jan 29, 2020

Dear Katja,

I think it's possible to edit and create a task sequence, and then select it in Options > Default task sequence, but my licence does not have the feature, check here:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Batch_Processing/How_to_Create_a_Task_Sequence.htm

Ki
... See more
Dear Katja,

I think it's possible to edit and create a task sequence, and then select it in Options > Default task sequence, but my licence does not have the feature, check here:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Batch_Processing/How_to_Create_a_Task_Sequence.htm

Kind regards,

Roy
Collapse

Katja Heimann-Kiefer
Katja Heimann-Kiefer
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but ... Jan 29, 2020

Hi Roy,

yes, you can select a default task sequence. I did that. But my point was that the "Add files" step we talked about earlier does not use that default sequence.

As for creating custom sequences: You can do that while you haven't activated your license and while your Studio version is running in demo mode. Even after you have activated your license you can return it in your online SDL account, then you revert to demo mode and custom task sequences become available
... See more
Hi Roy,

yes, you can select a default task sequence. I did that. But my point was that the "Add files" step we talked about earlier does not use that default sequence.

As for creating custom sequences: You can do that while you haven't activated your license and while your Studio version is running in demo mode. Even after you have activated your license you can return it in your online SDL account, then you revert to demo mode and custom task sequences become available - BUT: I am not sure whether this still works once your original 30 days demo period have expired! So if you have been using Studio for a longer time, try that at your own risk.

Best regards
Katja
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2019: unwanted automatic pretranslation when adding files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »