"Clean and unclean Trados files" - How to do in trados 2019 (step by step)?
Thread poster: Paulo Gasques
Paulo Gasques
Paulo Gasques
Mexico
Local time: 05:33
Member (2017)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 16, 2019

Hello!

I'm new using trados and a costumer that I work as freelance translator, requested me to deliver "Clean and unclean Trados files".
How to this using trados 2019 step by step, someone could help me, please?

Best wishes,

Paulo Dias Gasques

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Paulo Dec 16, 2019

Paulo Gasques wrote:
I'm new using Trados and a customer that I work for as freelance translator requested me to deliver "Clean and unclean Trados files".

The "uncleaned" file is generally the file that contains both source and target text, and the "cleaned" file is the file that contains only the translation. Now, while it is possible to generate various files from within Trados that contain both source and target text, only the "SDLXLIFF" file is considered the "uncleaned" file.

On my computer, the SDLXLIFF file's icon looks like this:

sdlxliff icon

The SDLXLIFF file's file name often contains the name of the target file. For example, if the SDXLIFF file is called "myfile.foo.bar.docx.sdlxliff", then the target file (i.e. the "cleaned" file that will be generated) will be called "myfile.foo.bar.docx" (or, if your computer hides file extensions, the SDLXLIFF file will be called myfile.foo.bar.docx with an SDLXLIFF icon, and the cleaned file will be called myfile.foo.bar with a DOCX icon).

To generate target files (i.e. "cleaned" files) in Trados, go to Project view on the left, right-click the project on the right, select Batch Tasks > Generate Target Translations. Or ditto in Files view and right-click the file. Or, if you have the file open in Trados, there should be a button Home > File Actions > Batch Tasks.

The target file will then be generated, usually in the same folder as the SDLXLIFF file. If you have two folders (one with the source language code and one with the target language code), the cleaned and uncleaned files are in the folder with your target language. You can also look at the file modification dates in Windows Explorer to ensure that you have the correct files.

[Edited at 2019-12-16 06:54 GMT]

Paulo Gasques
Paulo Gasques
Mexico
Local time: 05:33
Member (2017)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Clean and unclean Trados files" - How to do in trados 2019 (step by step)? Dec 16, 2019

Hello Samuel!

Thank you so much for your comments and clarification.
This information helped me a lot, when I back home, I'll try use this info and if something strange happen I'll let you know.

Have a nice and blessed week of work and merry Christmas for you,
Best regards

Paulo Dias Gasques

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 12:33
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If I have understood you correctly... Dec 16, 2019

Paulo Gasques wrote:

Hello!

I'm new using trados and a costumer that I work as freelance translator, requested me to deliver "Clean and unclean Trados files".
How to this using trados 2019 step by step, someone could help me, please?

Best wishes,

Paulo Dias Gasques

Paulo,
I believe by right clicking on "Batch Tasks", and then "Finalise", you will be able to have a "clean" version of your file (the original format of the file your client sent to you), as well as your "unclean" file, the file with sdl xliff extension.

[Edited at 2019-12-16 22:08 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Finalize vs Create Target Translations Dec 17, 2019

expressisverbis wrote:
I believe by right clicking on "Batch Tasks", and then "Finalise", you will be able to have a "clean" version of your file.

The "Finalize" step performs two steps, namely it creates target translations and it updates the main TMs. So, you can use "Finalize" if you want to create target translations, but then you'll also be performing an additional step (update the main TMs). It is perfectly all right to just "Create Target Translations" by itself, without using "Finalize".

(By the way, I find the label "Finalize" to be confusing, because it causes only the main TMs to be updated and not the project TMs. This means that the project TMs will still contain outdated content after you used "Finalize", unless you also use the "Populate project translation memories" step.)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 12:33
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Samuel, Dec 19, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:
I believe by right clicking on "Batch Tasks", and then "Finalise", you will be able to have a "clean" version of your file.

The "Finalize" step performs two steps, namely it creates target translations and it updates the main TMs. So, you can use "Finalize" if you want to create target translations, but then you'll also be performing an additional step (update the main TMs). It is perfectly all right to just "Create Target Translations" by itself, without using "Finalize".

(By the way, I find the label "Finalize" to be confusing, because it causes only the main TMs to be updated and not the project TMs. This means that the project TMs will still contain outdated content after you used "Finalize", unless you also use the "Populate project translation memories" step.)

Yes, you're right, only Main TMs are updated if we use "Finalise" option.
I have "Populate project translation memories" activated.
It's good to know there are more than one work around to reach to the same solution, like "Create Target Translations".
Merry Christmas to both!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Clean and unclean Trados files" - How to do in trados 2019 (step by step)?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »