Trados Studio 2017 does not preserve MS Word condenensed text
Thread poster: Broadridge
Broadridge
Broadridge
Ireland
Local time: 17:09
Nov 28, 2019

Hi All,

I am having an issue in relation to text in MS Word 2010 which was condensed to Font 0.35 in order to allow the figure expansion in French. However, after running the file through Trados the font type changes to Normal and the font condensing is not preserved.

I have tried File Types - Common - Skip Advanced Font Formatting (tracking, kerning etc.) but it does not seem to work.,

Any other Options in Advanced setting I could try?

Thank y
... See more
Hi All,

I am having an issue in relation to text in MS Word 2010 which was condensed to Font 0.35 in order to allow the figure expansion in French. However, after running the file through Trados the font type changes to Normal and the font condensing is not preserved.

I have tried File Types - Common - Skip Advanced Font Formatting (tracking, kerning etc.) but it does not seem to work.,

Any other Options in Advanced setting I could try?

Thank you in advance.

Gosia Clarke
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:09
English to Russian
Did you try to add the file again after implementing the changes? Nov 29, 2019

From SDL Documentation Center:
Advanced formatting is usually removed because you probably will need to reapply advanced formatting after translation, so including such formatting merely increases the number of tags displayed during translation.

After you have changed the setting (untick the Skip advanced font formatting box), you should re-add your translatable file again with this new setting.
(If you first add the file and then change the settings, it won't wo
... See more
From SDL Documentation Center:
Advanced formatting is usually removed because you probably will need to reapply advanced formatting after translation, so including such formatting merely increases the number of tags displayed during translation.

After you have changed the setting (untick the Skip advanced font formatting box), you should re-add your translatable file again with this new setting.
(If you first add the file and then change the settings, it won't work for what has been already added.) Because you don't mention any additional tags in source, I assume you did not re-add the file.
When you successfully complete this process, you will get a file with many tags after each next letter. Those tags are required to keep letters condensed. You will need to copy all of them into the target column. That is why they disable/skip it by default.

[Edited at 2019-11-29 00:33 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2017 does not preserve MS Word condenensed text

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »