Studio 2017: Trying to create superscripted ® symbol shortcut key.
Thread poster: Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Local time: 08:10
Member (2018)
Italian to English
Sep 28, 2019

I wonder if some kind soul can point me in the right direction.
I'm using Studio 2017, and, as a sort of self-study exercise I have tried, but failed, to create a simple shortcut solution giving a superscript ®. I think I must be missing something because the Trados Home menus give both a superscript shortcut, and an ® shortcut, so I'm thinking it shouldn't be too much of a challenge to combine the two.

I've tried using Auto Hotkey but need to dive deeper, so if somebody has
... See more
I wonder if some kind soul can point me in the right direction.
I'm using Studio 2017, and, as a sort of self-study exercise I have tried, but failed, to create a simple shortcut solution giving a superscript ®. I think I must be missing something because the Trados Home menus give both a superscript shortcut, and an ® shortcut, so I'm thinking it shouldn't be too much of a challenge to combine the two.

I've tried using Auto Hotkey but need to dive deeper, so if somebody has some pointers regarding this...?
I've tried to create a "Custom Quickinsert" button on the "Trados - Home - Quickinsert" menu.
But to no avail.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks

[Edited at 2019-09-28 06:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-09-28 06:35 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kean Sep 28, 2019

Kean Hall wrote:
I'm using Studio 2017. I [want to] create a simple shortcut solution giving a superscript ®.

I'm very much a beginner user of Trados, but as far as I know, Trados 2017 does not have the ability to run macros. A macro in this sense is a procedure that performs certain steps. The steps in your case would be 1. send ®, 2. select the 1 character before the cursor, 3. change font to superscript.

I've tried using AutoHotkey but need to dive deeper, so if somebody has some pointers regarding this...?

There is an AutoHotKey subforum on the official Trados forums:
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/autohotkey

I agree that AHK would be one possible solution here. I don't know AHK well enough to write the macro for you, but it would have at least these three steps:

1. send ®
2. send shift+left
3. send shift+ctrl+oemplus

The Trados shortcut for superscript is shift+ctrl+oemplus. "oemplus" means the "+" key that is NOT the one on the number pad. On my keyboard, to type oemplus, I have to press shift+equalsign, so for me, superscript in Trados is shift+ctrl+equalsign. On other keyboards, the oemplus may be a key that you press without pressing Shift, so what you need to put into the AHK may be different.

This means that for me, the AHK steps will be:

1. send ®
2. send +{Left}
3. send +^=

If I understand AHK correctly, this will also work:

1. send ®
2. send +{Left}
3. send +^{+}

An alternative method may be to put ® on the clipboard and then use Ctrl+V to paste it, before changing it to superscript. The clipboard method is useful if you need to send longer chunks of text, because if you just "send" text as-is, it tends to send it one character at a time, which is slower.

If you're going to add a lot of these, and you don't want to run out of shortcuts, look at the right-click menu script here.

[Edited at 2019-09-28 08:36 GMT]

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Sep 28, 2019

...for your reply...I'll play around with the things you've suggested.

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
AutoHotkey macro Sep 30, 2019

Here it's the AutoHotkey to do what you want:

#IfWinActive ahk_exe SDLTradosStudio.exe
:*?C:(r)::
SendInput ®
; Select last char
SendInput {Shift down}{Left}{Shift up}
; Send superscript formatting shortcut
SendInput {Ctrl down}{Shift down}{+}{Shift up}{Ctrl up}
; Move 1 position to the right
SendInput {Right}
return
... See more
Here it's the AutoHotkey to do what you want:

#IfWinActive ahk_exe SDLTradosStudio.exe
:*?C:(r)::
SendInput ®
; Select last char
SendInput {Shift down}{Left}{Shift up}
; Send superscript formatting shortcut
SendInput {Ctrl down}{Shift down}{+}{Shift up}{Ctrl up}
SendInput {Right}
return
#IfWinActive

Credits to https://www.gonduana.com/escribir-el-simbolo-de-marca-registrada
Happy International Translation Day 2019!
Collapse

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks NeoAtlas... Oct 2, 2019

...for your reply. Just been super-busy so have only just got round to replying and will look forward to trying out the code.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Eeek, yes! Oct 2, 2019

NeoAtlas wrote:
SendInput {Right}

Yes, I forgot about that (although I would likely have become aware of this omission as soon as I tested the script).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017: Trying to create superscripted ® symbol shortcut key.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »